Options

Bring back the required elements

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If there is another series next year, then I would like to see the return of the required elements.

This at least shows how the skaters are progressing and gives the public something transparent to see in terms of marking.

It also shows who are the ones who can skate, not those who get carried or pushed around the ice by their partners.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    I agree none of these team skates or duals or other themed weeks. The theme used to be the required element if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassy990 wrote: »
    I agree none of these team skates or duals or other themed weeks. The theme used to be the required element if I remember rightly.

I absolutely hate the duels.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I quite liked where they had to skate 1 routine on their own they should bring that back
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggi wrote: »
    If there is another series next year, then I would like to see the return of the required elements.

This at least shows how the skaters are progressing and gives the public something transparent to see in terms of marking.

It also shows who are the ones who can skate, not those who get carried or pushed around the ice by their partners.

I totally agree :) The show has lost a lot of its sparkle since they swapped required elements for pointless and manipulative 'twists' :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked where they had to skate 1 routine on their own they should bring that back

That would be interesting. Samia would never have made it past that.

I am trying to remember if that was part if the competition when Colleen Nolan was a contestant. If it was then I can't help but wonder how she got through it,
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    That would be interesting. Samia would never have made it past that.

I am trying to remember if that was part if the competition when Colleen Nolan was a contestant. If it was then I can't help but wonder how she got through it,

the year Colleen did DOI they had a 20 second solo routine in the week she was eliminated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the year Colleen did DOI they had a 20 second solo routine in the week she was eliminated

LOL, now here's a shock.

She still stayed in way longer than she should have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the required elements should be back as this year i dont think many of them had gone past the basic skating.

Its ok putting lots of lifts and dancing in but I want to see skater also doing a footwork sequence that consists with jumps eg Waltz jump, toe jumps etc, real good cross overs and spins of over 3 turns or more. As this will show us that they are trying to get better and better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. The required elements meant that the marking was much fairer. That panel clearly wanted Matt to win and Jason made it obvious he hated Luke and Beth.
    If there is to be another series no Jason please. He sucks the enjoyment out of the show. Bring back a level playing rink with three required elements, axe Jason and cut out the daft flying.
  • Options
    Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the required elements should be back as this year i dont think many of them had gone past the basic skating.

Its ok putting lots of lifts and dancing in but I want to see skater also doing a footwork sequence that consists with jumps eg Waltz jump, toe jumps etc, real good cross overs and spins of over 3 turns or more. As this will show us that they are trying to get better and better.

This would have really shown up a few of the celebs this year - I know I keep banging on about it (and I did enjoy watching him skate this year!) But Matt never did a 1 footed spin (only a poor 2 footed spin in his showdance), only did a couple of 2 foot landed jumps, only a couple of poor spirals and he still was haphazard in his crossovers!
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hear hear! No more twists, duels or team skates. Don't split the skaters up in the first two episodes.
    Just back to basics with required elements - footwork, spins, solo skating, solo jumps etc.

No more flying! (pleeeeease:()

And let the contestants and the pros have more say in the routines and music.

That is all :D
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Hear hear! No more twists, duels or team skates. Don't split the skaters up in the first two episodes.
    Just back to basics with required elements - footwork, spins, solo skating, solo jumps etc.

No more flying! (pleeeeease:()

And let the contestants and the pros have more say in the routines and music.

That is all :D

Yes, I agree, I hate the flying and the duels, twists etc. Then we can judge who really is the best.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB me too
  • Options
    TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The required elements would have shown their chosen one to be the poor, sloppy skater that he is so probably why they weren't included
  • Options
    GuineveretooGuineveretoo Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree!
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Required elements would have favoured Beth even more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Required elements would have favoured Beth even more.

I don't know about actually favouring her more but she would have been very competent and been able to deliver them with grace and style.

They certainly would have shown her at her best rather than some of the choreography she was given, which didn't show her at her best.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree - what on earth is the point of a competition where there's no requirement to do anything other than be pushed and carried round by your partner? I think this is why I found it pretty boring, there was no sense of progress and certainly no interest in seeing whether the celebs could do the elements.

IIRC Coleen's 'solo skate' was her being pushed out onto the ice and keeping her balance while she did some very slow moves, then being rescued by her partner.

Not that I could have done even that much, mind you, but it did show up the fact that everyone else left at that stage could skate much better than her.