The Simon Cowell Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Jane~ wrote: »
    Ey no probs, I agree with every word you say to be honest,

Hey. No worries. I know that sometimes its hard to try and voice an opinion in here that isn't licking Simon's arse cause you get shot down, which is not how it should be, its a discussion with my people who have their own opinions. I agree with most of yours by the way, Idol didn't crumble without Simon and whilst I do think AXF will beat The Voice in the ratings I don't think it will beat Idol.

Hey, imagine that :)

I'm not trying to shoot down him at all. I like him, I have for years now, but I think he is making some mistakes right now. That said I'm positive he can climb back up one day if it turns out to be true.

About the US XF. Lets not forget that lawsuit with Fuller also. Could give XF some really bad headlines.
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dexydal wrote: »
    I actually saw 2 days of auditions, but that is beside the point, I have seen the judges work together, but of course it could all look very different edited.

Simon calling Nicole robotic was out of context. as he actually said it while saying these things about her, which was nothing to do with her judging. "She’s up at five in the morning. She’s in the gym. She’s jogging. She’s working......"

I don't assume you are having a dig at me, but you have to admit you went at me full throttle, not the other way around.

WOW, two days in the same location as opposed to every other city they went to. But anyway that's beside the point as you say.

I didn't go "full throttle" at you, believe me, but sometimes you do come across as not allowing other people their opinion and I felt you were rubbishing Marianner's opinion just cause you have seen auditions and no one else has seen the show especially with the comment that went something along the lines of "You can't judge till you have seen it"..

I have my own opinion, you have yours and so does every other member of this forum, just I accept other people's opinions and enjoy reading them even if I don't agree with them, something you seem unable to show sometimes and that's why I jumped to Marianner's defence cause it is often hard to WANT to voice an opinion when someone shoots it down on the basis of you "not having actually seen the show".. it's a free, open forum and it needs to remain that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    I'm giving my opinions. You don't have to agree with me. Thats why this is a discussion board.

I'm just not feeling it. That said, I could be wrong and it'll be a huge hit.

I'm not going to argue with you, but you can't give an opinion on something you haven't yet seen!

YES She can. Anyone can and don't need permission. This isn't historic Russia, we live in a world of free speech.

Surely looking back, you can see this a little sanctimonious and holier than thou just cause you happen to have seen TWO days worth of auditions.
  • dexydaldexydal Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES She can. Anyone can and don't need permission. This isn't historic Russia, we live in a world of free speech.

Surely looking back, you can see this a little sanctimonious and holier than thou just cause you happen to have seen TWO days worth of auditions.

At risk of repeating myself, if you read my posts, I wasn't saying to marianner about her opinion on how the show will fair against The Voice or Idol, she has her opinion on that and I put mine across politely. I was commenting on her opinions on the judges. I feel we should at least give them a chance to hit our screens before we judge them.

Even you must agree that the comment on Nicole WAS taken out of context, I put up how it was actually said and what it referred to. Which wasn't how marianner reported it and I quote "The reviews of Nicole have been saying that she is robotic etc". The robotic comment from Simon had nothing to do with her judging.

Neither, marinner, I or anyone else can comment on the show itself, as none of us have seen it yet. I'm sure we will all have plenty to say after we have seen it next week and I look forward to a healthy discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At risk of repeating myself, if you read my posts, I wasn't saying to marianner about her opinion on how the show will fair against The Voice or Idol, she has her opinion on that and I put mine across politely. I was commenting on her opinions on the judges. I feel we should at least give them a chance to hit our screens before we judge them.

Even you must agree that the comment on Nicole WAS taken out of context, I put up how it was actually said and what it referred to. Which wasn't how marianner reported it and I quote "The reviews of Nicole have been saying that she is robotic etc". The robotic comment from Simon had nothing to do with her judging.

Neither, marinner, I or anyone else can comment on the show itself, as none of us have seen it yet. I'm sure we will all have plenty to say after we have seen it next week and I look forward to a healthy discussion.

Why are you insisting none of us can discuss something we haven't seen? People do it EVERY day. I, for instance, have never seen a single Star Wars film but I have a feeling they are not my cup of tea and I won't like it. We are allowed to have an opinion on whatever we like, WHEN we like, whether that's before, during or after we have seen something.

If Marianner has her own preconceived opinions on the judging panel who are you, or anyone else to tell her she shouldn't have them?

So when Barlow replaced Simon, you didn't assume he wouldn't be as good as Simon straight away? Or did you honestly wait until you had seen him in action before making an opinion on him?

One thing I can't stand in life, or on here, is people telling other people what they can and can't have an opinion on and that's why I am still defending Marianner on this cause no one has a right to take her or anyone else's opinion away from them especially when said opinion is an interesting one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you insisting none of us can discuss something we haven't seen? People do it EVERY day. I, for instance, have never seen a single Star Wars film but I have a feeling they are not my cup of tea and I won't like it. We are allowed to have an opinion on whatever we like, WHEN we like, whether that's before, during or after we have seen something.

If Marianner has her own preconceived opinions on the judging panel who are you, or anyone else to tell her she shouldn't have them?

So when Barlow replaced Simon, you didn't assume he wouldn't be as good as Simon straight away? Or did you honestly wait until you had seen him in action before making an opinion on him?

One thing I can't stand in life, or on here, is people telling other people what they can and can't have an opinion on and that's why I am still defending Marianner on this cause no one has a right to take her or anyone else's opinion away from them especially when said opinion is an interesting one.

It's you who is getting aggressive with this, not myself of marianner.

marianners first post
    "Simon is a great guy and I'm sure he is great with his fans. I was talking about the passion. He talks passion - I see none.

As for XF US, it probably would have been better if they had launched it before The Voice. Simon isn't always right and I'm not sure he is right about this project with 'crazy lap dog Paula' 'robotic Nicole' and 'harsh L.A'."

My reply
    I don't see where you are seeing this. He has come across very passionate about the show in interviews I have seen him in and I have seen most of them.

I think Paula will surprise you on this show, she is far removed from her idol days and probably gave the most constructive critiques of all the judges in the auditions. Nicole was finding her feet when I saw her, but she balances the panel well. Other then Simon, LA was my favourite, he tells it as he sees it, but with a dry sense of humour too.

This show is completely different to The Voice, there is plenty of room for both of them. If any show suffers, I feel it will be Idol as it's looks tired and drab against The X Factor."

None of the conversations I have had with marianner have been aggressive or rude, I haven't told her she can't have an opinion as you put it, I have said none of us can give a constructive opinion until we have seen it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »

So, with a week to go, how do we all think the show will go down with the Americans then? I think it will go well...yes its more of the same in the same ilk as Idol / The Voice etc but these kind of shows are popular. Scheduling will probably be Simon's biggest ally - or conversely, his worst enemy. Ive not looked closely at the Fall schedules tbh, whats XF up against do we know?

I'm feeling really positive about the show, after a brief period of doubt at the start of the year. We all got bored of the PR then because it was too early, but now the buzz feels just right. People are warm to the idea of Simon on their screens again and many have commented that he has a new energy about him. They will also get to see more of the fun side of him, which never fully surfaced during Idol.

Steve has also been really well received and i'm not worried about him at all.

I don't know exactly what the show is up against, although i've heard the Fall is a difficult time due to sporting events. Either way, no excuses, i really think this show will take off. All of the ground work has been done - think how different our show was in the early days. The US are getting the finished, super polished product.

So any ideas who helped Simon make his final 3? Someone "bigger than Mariah"?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's you who is getting aggressive with this, not myself of marianner.

marianners first post
    "Simon is a great guy and I'm sure he is great with his fans. I was talking about the passion. He talks passion - I see none.

As for XF US, it probably would have been better if they had launched it before The Voice. Simon isn't always right and I'm not sure he is right about this project with 'crazy lap dog Paula' 'robotic Nicole' and 'harsh L.A'."

My reply
    I don't see where you are seeing this. He has come across very passionate about the show in interviews I have seen him in and I have seen most of them.

I think Paula will surprise you on this show, she is far removed from her idol days and probably gave the most constructive critiques of all the judges in the auditions. Nicole was finding her feet when I saw her, but she balances the panel well. Other then Simon, LA was my favourite, he tells it as he sees it, but with a dry sense of humour too.

This show is completely different to The Voice, there is plenty of room for both of them. If any show suffers, I feel it will be Idol as it's looks tired and drab against The X Factor."

None of the conversations I have had with marianner have been aggressive or rude, I haven't told her she can't have an opinion as you put it, I have said none of us can give a constructive opinion until we have seen it.

Who said you was rude and i certainly haven't called Marianner rude. You are no longer talking sense. I was simply saying you go around telling people what they can and can't have an opinion on in your sanctimonious way and it's not right we, we cam ALL have an opinion on whatever we like and if you don't agree cause we don't happen to be licking simon's arse you tell people they can't have an opinion on it and when someone stands up to you like i have been doing you change the subject..

Bottom Line, Marrianner said she doesn't think AXF will be as big of a hit as everyone seems to think and something about the panel, YOU told her she can't have an opinion on something she hasn't seen. I said you can't go around telling people what they can and can't have an opinion on. You then changed the subject about rudeness cause you had NOTHING else to say.

I see you didn't reply to the question about you making a judgement about Barlow replacing Simon? Is that cause you DID actually think he wouldn't be as good as Simon without seeing him, making you to have done exactly the same thing as you said Marrianner couldn't do?

I no longer have time for you or this, Eastenders is on, if you want to keep on subject about you seeming to think you can tell people what they can and can't have opinions on, DM me, I'll be polite enough to respond.

ETA: on this post you say you never said she can't have an opinion. Scroll up, I have quoting you saying those exact words. If you are gonna say you haven't said something, please make sure you haven't actually said it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    I'm feeling really positive about the show, after a brief period of doubt at the start of the year. We all got bored of the PR then because it was too early, but now the buzz feels just right. People are warm to the idea of Simon on their screens again and many have commented that he has a new energy about him. They will also get to see more of the fun side of him, which never fully surfaced during Idol.

I don't know exactly what the show is up against, although i've heard the Fall is a difficult time due to sporting events. Either way, no excuses, i really think this show will take off. All of the ground work has been done - think how different our show was in the early days. The US are getting the finished, super polished product.

Oooh Who's bigger than Mariah? *thinks*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I see you didn't reply to the question about you making a judgement about Barlow replacing Simon? Is that cause you DID actually think he wouldn't be as good as Simon without seeing him, making you to have done exactly the same thing as you said Marrianner couldn't do?

I actually went in with an open mind on Gary, I thought he would be a good mentor to the contestants, but having seen him on other things, I thought he might lack charisma.

Of course I didn't want him to replace Simon, but I don't compare Gary to him, he is a person in his own right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm feeling positive and excited too Mich.

I can't think who he has instead of Mariah, what about Adele? If she was in England then she could have flown over quickly when Mariah couldn't make it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I reckon Simon was doing one of his "stretching the truth" jobs and it's Leona. Perhaps on most recent record sales, she's bigger than Mariah, but not in true sense of the word.

I doubt most top, top stars could be called on at such short notice, so whoever stepped in must have close connections to Simon.

Other than that, Beyonce? She was in the UK around that time, so just a short flight to the South of France required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sinitta? :confused::p:o
    Sorry, I couldn't resist that...

They're saying it's Rihanna and that the guest judge is for L.A and not Simon. Which makes sense because L.A is a good friend of Mariah.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling positive and excited too Mich.

I can't think who he has instead of Mariah, what about Adele? If she was in England then she could have flown over quickly when Mariah couldn't make it.

That's a good call actually, i'd love to see her do it and would fit well with her US career. She's said many times that she loves the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually went in with an open mind on Gary, I thought he would be a good mentor to the contestants, but having seen him on other things, I thought he might lack charisma.

Of course I didn't want him to replace Simon, but I don't compare Gary to him, he is a person in his own right.

Of course you did Saint Dexydal.

How I wish I could be more like you and not think, say, Emmerdale is shit and for old people before I watch it. But I can't. but I ain't a saint or a sycophant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're saying it's Rihanna and that the guest judge is for L.A and not Simon. Which makes sense because L.A is a good friend of Mariah.

Rihanna popped into my head too. Yeah L.A is a friend of Mariah, he signed her after she left Tommy Motalla I think, but could be wrong.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure Rihanna is with LA, because of their label connections. I thought he was the one who originally signed her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good call actually, i'd love to see her do it and would fit well with her US career. She's said many times that she loves the show.

God, I really hope it's not Adele ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Rihanna is with LA, because of their label connections. I thought he was the one who originally signed her?

Jay -Z signed Rihanna but L.A might have had an involvement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna popped into my head too. Yeah L.A is a friend of Mariah, he signed her after she left Tommy Motalla I think, but could be wrong.:confused:

I think you're right there. But Si's guest judge? I thought it was Louis but maybe that was just a silly rumour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he did and that would make sense too then.
    I haven't seen any rumours about the other judges, including Simon. Part from the Louis thing but that was probably just a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right there. But Si's guest judge? I thought it was Louis but maybe that was just a silly rumour.

I hope it's not Louis, he needs a BIG star. Beyonce?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I really hope it's not Adele ;)

Oi you, get back to your Emmerdale Farm!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it's not Louis, he needs a BIG star. Beyonce?

she was a guest judge on XF OZ so it's unlikely she'd do two shows. Maybe a male (depending on what cat hes got)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi you, get back to your Emmerdale Farm!

LMAO!!:D You mean Eastenders Mich.;) Emmerdale is for bores ;) (sorry if you watch it :D:D)