When Wrestling Was Golden: Grapples, Grunts and Grannies

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Well they are some people 100% convinced that all "this American Rubbish is fake but our stuff was real" I have heard them say it myself

:D Yup. Someone said this to me recently actually.

I wonder if Savile will be included? :confused:
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like this when I was younger, but I soon realised it was as choreographed as any ballet !
    Does anyone remember a Japanese (or Chinese) wrestler called Sammy Lee ?
    One of his costumes was the yellow & black one-piece catsuit the Bruce Lee wore in "Game Of Death". When he took it off, he was wearing the trunks that Bruce Lee wore in the first fight scene of "Enter The Dragon"
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he [ Shirley Crabtree ] was born though another reason they kept it was so he would have to learn how to defend himself

That's a Johnny Cash song you twit :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    :D Yup. Someone said this to me recently actually.

I wonder if Savile will be included? :confused:

Why would he be, was he as famous as Clive 'Ironfist' or Mick McManus for example.

Our Wrestling panto had charm, the American wrestling panto doesn't, that's why it's cack.
    I'll say the catchphrase 'Greetings Grapple fans'
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    British pro wrestling back in the day was fun. Quirky but fun.

However once people saw the production values of US pro wrestling, it was never going to be able to compete.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring on the baddies like Giant Haystacks and Rasputin. :D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was it Bert Royle who was always considered the straight man, the 'proper' wrestler ?

also there was a ballet dancing wrestler who's name i forget
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Was it Bert Royle who was always considered the straight man, the 'proper' wrestler ?

Adrian Street and Bobby Barnes.

http://leoleigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BOBBYBARNES-ADRIAN-STREET-WRESTLER-JULY1971-778x1024.jpg

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/wrestlersp.htm
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member

There was them 2 with long blonde hair and were in the double wrestling matches .. cannot think of their names either :confused:

I swore I would never be like my mum with not remembering names etc: :o:D

Bert Royal .. I remember his name but cannot put a face to him :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked Mark "Rollerball" Rocco as he brought in a more technical style.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Ms Katt wrote: »

He went on to Japan where he had a great career as The Black Tiger (The First Black Tiger )
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ms Katt wrote: »

He had great success in Japan too. He was a superb wrestler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    just seen the name on the poster.............Rikki Star

I think he was was the ballet dancer............:D
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember what the name of McManus' own promotion in the 90s was called? I rmember they got airtime on L!ve TV for a while. Is it still going?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    amother name on a poster.............Les Kellet

I remember him.............:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Kendo Nagasaki was odd but intriguing-always worth a watch, especially when there was the likelihood of an unmasking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fife robertson................:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IIRC he wasn't particularly well liked by other wrestlers for both his work in the wrestling ring and how he dealt with them backstage, particularly newcomers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

There's a good book about Wrestling called 'The Wrestling'. It mainly focuses on the old British scene. Some of the tales of Les Kellet are frightening. He was as hard as nails in real life and a nasty bit of work, despite his comedy ring persona.

He kept a pig farm near Bradford, and had a bout one night after he'd been bitten on the hand by one of his pigs. When he got to the venue, his hand had swollen grotesquely, so he got one of the other wrestlers to stamp on it in the dressing room so he could wrestle that night.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Hahaha, those grannies slagging off Klondike Kate were brilliant :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember any women wrestlers............I notice that was in colour so I guess it was after the heyday of TV coverage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    There's a good book about Wrestling called 'The Wrestling'. It mainly focuses on the old British scene. Some of the tales of Les Kellet are frightening. He was as hard as nails in real life and a nasty bit of work, despite his comedy ring persona.

He kept a pig farm near Bradford, and had a bout one night after he'd been bitten on the hand by one of his pigs. When he got to the venue, his hand had swollen grotesquely, so he got one of the other wrestlers to stamp on it in the dressing room so he could wrestle that night.

Agreed. That book was an entertaining read full of often black humour. And Kendo Nagasaki looked a bit crestfallen on the cover! :p
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member

I remember him .. Funny looking face :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember any women wrestlers............I notice that was in colour so I guess it was after the heyday of TV coverage

I agree. Princess Paula was the only woman on the show in the 70's that I remember.