What has been your favorite 'new series' series so far?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great minds think alike. :cool: ;):D

its of the similar intelligence my boy ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Six, closely followed by five. Two is a long way at the bottom (although not far enough, it should be underground).
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    6 (perfect story arc and three (four) travellers totally in sync, almost all great stories, snappy dialogue etc etc etc)
    5 (close second due to setting up/build up to above)
    4 (best companion of nu who and perfect foil for DT)
    3 (had some classics and Martha underrated IMHO)
    7 (Matt still the tops but scripts are below par and I am not warming to Clara as I expected to after her initial appearances)
    1 (Some real gems.e.g.Dalek and Empty Child and CE's perfomance was indeed fantastic but let down by farting aliens)
    2. (Doctor and Rose love in..I loathed almost all of it)

Good thread though..make me think! :)
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Ooh ranking ...

Series 4.
    Midnight gets less and less plausible on each re-watch, Turn Left and Journeys End had laugh out load moments. Just dire.

Series 2.
    Some good things in this: Impossible Planet, Girl in the Fireplace, RTD's best finale

Series 1.
    Loved the contemporary references, it felt hip and with it. Contains the best RTD era story ever - Dalek - which set up the rest of the series and had the tabloids in a lather !

Series 6.
    Brilliant opener, but collapsed a bit under the weight of the arc until rescued by the brilliant "The God Complex"

Series 3.
    Two great two parters in "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Family of Blood". Blink, 42, Derek Jacobi, Martha Jones ... Whats not to like ? Oh "The Lazarus Experiment", and the Doctor ressurrection.

Series 7.
    Pity about "The Power of Three" and still trying to find my Neil Cross love, but otherwise.

Series 5.
    Perfect - well nearly !
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Series 5, for so many reasons, mainly to do with Matt Smith.
    2. Series 6, mainly because I loved the arc, and again has Matt Smith,
    3. Series 4. Loved Catherine Tate, and the final is a superb spectacle of awesome modern Who.
    These 3 are very close together.

Series 3: Very good series. Love Martha and the Master arc. Just not as consistently good as those above.

Series 1: A little too much time spent on a Council Estate, but it had a very strong arc and Eccleston was a good Doctor.

Series 2: Rose/Ten are annoying, and quite a few weak episodes here.

Series 7: Overall, the episodes have ranged from bad to average. A poor year (sorry, 2 years).
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be in a minority but I didn't like Donna Noble.

Apart from a few stinky episodes and the David Tennant Billie Piper teaming being a bit irritating, I go

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Series 4
    Series 1
    Series 2
    Series 5
    Series 3
    Series 6

Series 4 was by the far the best IMO, there was no episode that I disliked. Exceptionally strong throughout.

I feel bad ranking Series 3 so low because it had a great run of episodes (from Human Nature to Utopia, all 10/10) but it had the poorest finale of the six so far.
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    4, 1, 5, 6, 7, 2, 3

I think.

Definitely 4 for top ranking though, as Catherine Tate was outstanding. And it had Midnight, and Turn Left, and the Library episodes :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    As I recall, someone did this exact poll in 2010 just after season 5 had aired, and season 5 won hands down.

What's changed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Series 4: Great stories, Tennant and Tate are perfect together, no weak episodes, and a spectacular finale. Dr Who at its absolute peak!
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    As I recall, someone did this exact poll in 2010 just after season 5 had aired, and season 5 won hands down.

What's changed?

Well, I for one think series 6 and 7 are much better. Series 5 was rather forgettable and left too much storyline over for series 6 to flesh out.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 4: Great stories, Tennant and Tate are perfect together, no weak episodes, and a spectacular finale. Dr Who at its absolute peak!

Couldn't agree more, the current show is a pale shadow of it's former self IMO.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three for me!
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote the 2009 specials
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SERIES 7. -> I like Clara and there are some brilliant episodes like Snowmen, Rings, Hide and Crimson Horror.

SERIES 5. -> There is no single bad episode (worst episodes are 7/10). Also, Amy was much more interesting in series 5. then in series 6.

SERIES 3. -> Martha is my favorite companion and there are some brilliant episodes like Human Nature/Family Of Blood, Gridlock and Blink; but also some bad episodes like Dalek two-parter and Lazarus Experiment.

<distance>

SERIES 4. -> Average. Although I don't like Donna, there are some great episodes like Silence in the Library two-parter and Midnight. But season finale (Stolen Earth) was terrible.

SERIES 6. -> Average.

SERIES 1. -> I liked Ninth, but plots and other characters are bad.

<huge distance>

SERIES 2. -> Urgh... There are only three decent (but not great) episodes (School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace and let's say Fear Her). The rest of the season is :cry: .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

SERIES 2. -> Urgh... There is only three decent (but not great) episodes (School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace and let's say Fear Her). The rest of the season is :cry: .

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But Fear Her?? Seriously?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But Fear Her?? Seriously?

I knew it'll be controversy :p

Fear her is definitely not one of the better episodes but COMPARED to the rest of season 2 (Love and monsters, all cybermen episodes etc.), it's decent.

The best episodes in season 2. (mentioned) are as good as the worst episodes in season 5. (Daleks, Hungry Earth two-parter and Lodger). So it depends in which season episode is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 7 and Series 4 have some really stand out episodes, but there's just something... oddly magical about series 5, despite its many flaws.
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    Series 4 by far, glad to see it's so popular!
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 5 for me, I thought Matt and Karen were a complete breath of fresh air that the show desperately needed after the awful 'specials' year. The whole series was just magic for me because of their chemistry, even though the flesh two-parter was pretty dire. And the series has the best opener and one of the best finales of all of them.

I'd rank them:

1. Series 5
    2. Series 6 - mostly wonderful episodes (apart from Closing Time and Night Terrors), and some of the finest work Matt, Karen and Arthur did (The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited). I loved the huge story arc, the opening two-parter, the amount of River Song involvement, the mid-season cliffhanger and Let's Kill Hitler, but the finale was rushed.

3. Series 4 - David Tennant and Catherine Tate were a brilliant partnership, Donna was much more likeable second time round and if it hadn't been for the underlying current of Rose reappearing, much of the series would have been practically flawless. Some wonderful episodes (particularly Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead), let down by a messy finale (though Tate was brilliant in that anyway).

4. Series 3 - I'm one of the few people who really liked Martha Jones, thought she was a great companion and had a great dynamic with DT. Yes, there are some dud episodes (including a poor finale), but series 3 also contains my favourite 'new' Who episode (Blink) and the innovative Human Nature/Family of Blood two-parter, which I've really grown to love over time.

5. Series 7 - the first half of the series with the Ponds was generally pretty good, and their farewell was brilliantly done, but the Christmas specials before and after were fairly rubbish and series 7B has been alarmingly hit and miss. Only two episodes have been really good, and there have been some terrible duds. Still not convinced on the chemistry between Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, and still not sold on the 'cinematic' feel, lack of two-parters and much more cryptic arc. Underwhelming.

6. Series 2 - the 10th Doctor and Rose were great at the time, but much more annoying on repeat viewing! Some decent episodes (The Girl in the Fireplace particularly, and School Reunion), but Mickey was fairly annoying, the run-in to the finale was appalling, and the finale itself not as emotional on re-watching.

7. Series 1 - I'm not a huge fan of Eccleston's Doctor, nor of the 9th Doctor and Rose together. But The Empty Child/Doctor Dances is sublime, and the finale was decent.
  • miffy_1306miffy_1306 Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine would be:

4 - fantastic storylines, acting, music - everything :)
    1 - even though 9 isn't my favourite doctor it was so good with some classic stories & great characters
    2 - Even though the ending was heartbreaking some great episodes
    3 - Other than the lovesick theme a good series, I liked Martha
    7 - my favourite Moffat series so far
    5 - Not very memorable but less bad than 6...
    6 - Really didn't like this, the one thing I loved was Rory!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Series 4 was Doctor Who at its peak and the height of its popularity. Lots of great episodes (Planet of the Ood, Unicorn and the Wasp, the library two parter, Midnight, Turn Left); a greater partnership with 10 and Donna; mostly a great arc and I remember the hype surrounding the final episodes was immense. However, like most of RTD's finales, Journey's End was awful mainly because the Daleks were defeated way too easily and had a way too over the top plot (reality bomb...for God's sake), and Rose's ending was awful.

Not to mention the companions did nothing in that episode except fail...if the Doctor hadn't been struck by a Dalek and regenerated to form Doctor-Donna, the universe would have ended. Actually, if Doctor-Donna hadn't been electrocuted by Davros, she wouldn't have gained her Time Lord conscience to destroy the Daleks. So the Doctor and the children of time only saved the universe by fluke to be honest, and the likes of Captain Jack, Sarah Jane and Rose did nothing of use in the final episode. So in my opinion, Journey's End ruined a great series and a great arc.

The best arcs were in series 5 and series 1. Both are brilliant series with a brilliant finale that does not let down the series before it with some cop out ending. However, I just prefer Doc 9 which is the reason I chose series 1. If we were to base my favourite series on standout episodes, I'd perhaps say series 6 but it suffered from a messy arc.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facepalm wrote: »
    The best arcs were in series 5 and series 1. Both are brilliant series with a brilliant finale that does not let down the series before it with some cop out ending.

I thought the ending of series 5 was Cop-outpalooza, the mother of all cop-outs. From a dead Rory being resurrected as a plastic Roman soldier to the Doctor being locked away forever in the Pandorica and managing to escape due to some inexplicable paradox of him already escaping? Honestly, the Wedding of River Song made more sense because at least time was broken.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7.1 :D - I've used up all smilies, I'd add more if I could!
    1 :)
    2 :)
    5 :)
    6.2 :):o - demoted for the existence of The Wedding of River Song.
    4 :p - demoted for the existence of the Pompeii episode, the giant wasp, Martha and River Song. It'd be third otherwise.
    7.2 :mad: - I loved 11 before the rest of this series, now I do not.
    6.1 :confused:
    3 :sleep:

I put the different parts for 6 and 7 in, but I voted for series 1 in the poll!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so 4 was easily the most consistent series and on being consistent wins by a long mile but my heart preferred other series though so I ended up voting 6 as my favorite and then as follows:
    2) 4
    3) 7
    4) 5
    5) 1
    6) 2
    7) 3
    I'm sorry but series 3 was pants even though my all time favorite episode "Blink" was in there and the double episode set in 1913 with the chameleon pocket watch thing was pretty good neither were enough to redeem the series.

All true apart from the great stories part - there were no brilliant stories, every single episode was pretty much mneh it was pretty good and that was it but no doubt RTD's strongest series however the whole regeneration thing was the series massive down fall - RTD hit on something brilliant that had never been done before in the shows entire history and he went and messed it up by giving Tennant's Doctor the big get out of jail free card.

Now don't get me wrong I liked David Tennant as the Doctor but he should have regenerated into the new Doctor (either Matt Smith or someone else depending on how things went). It was a wasted opportunity which has robbed us of ever getting that moment where a Doctor regenerates mid-story line because it wouldn't have quite the same effect even if they went through with it because it has effectively already been done now.