Options

Android tablet with hdmi output?

khampsonkhampson Posts: 272
Forum Member
Hello, I am wanting a tablet that supports hdmi output to play HD videos on a TV, I am not to fussed about the size as long as it can play HD video without lag/skipping and have a budget of £300

Any suggestions
Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it have to be Android? The Linx 1010 I recommend in this post has HDMI out and can run a HDTV as either mirror or extended and can match the resolution of the TV, even when it is different to the tablets display.

I have never had any lagging or skipping, and if you're going to be playing HD video the fact that you can add extra storage with micro SD card is a good feature, plus full proper USB connectivity for connecting external drives, USB sticks, keyboards, mice etc.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very few have hdmi out, and really it is a bit of a pain connecting a cable anyway.

Why not do it wirelessly using a £30 chromecast dongle.

You can then use tablet as a remote control from your favourite sofa.

More importantly, is you can use a tablet of your choice, rather than be limited.

I use a kindle fire costing £35, added google playstore (fairly easy to do), added chromecast app, and I can watch any movie with ease.

Also, in many cases eg streaming Netflix or BBC Iplayer, you can even turn off tablet, once it starts streaming, saving battery.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Very few have hdmi out, and really it is a bit of a pain connecting a cable anyway.

More importantly, is you can use a tablet of your choice, rather than be limited.

I use a kindle fire costing £35, added google playstore (fairly easy to do), added chromecast app, and I can watch any movie with ease.

Also, in many cases eg streaming Netflix or BBC Iplayer, you can even turn off tablet, once it starts streaming, saving battery.

Chromecast works two ways. It can stream stuff from the net, with your tablet merely initiating the operation, which is what allows you to then turn it off. It's not playing content from the tablet but from the net and of course needs a network connection.
    The other mode, mirroring the screen, has some drawbacks, only the screen resolution of the tablet etc.

Later Android tablets, and the Linx and other Windows tablets have Miracast which streams HD video directly from the tablet to a Miracast TV or dongle, can play a higher resolution than the tablets own screen and doesn't need an internet connection.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hudl 2 could do this but sadly they are no longer made. You could take a punt on eBay if you feel lucky..
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Chromecast works two ways. It can stream stuff from the net, with your tablet merely initiating the operation, which is what allows you to then turn it off. It's not playing content from the tablet but from the net and of course needs a network connection.
    The other mode, mirroring the screen, has some drawbacks, only the screen resolution of the tablet etc.

The built-in mirroring capabilities of the Chromecast plugin aren't great but there are several 3rd party applications which do a much better job. I use Videostream (http://getvideostream.com/) to stream HD content to TV via Chromecast and it works flawlessly. You can then use your tablet, browser or phone as a remote control. You can even start playing something from your tablet and pause/rewind/resume using your phone. It's amazingly clever
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth waiting a few weeks.

Just maybe Chrome OS with Play tablets will launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they anymore likely to have HDMI output than anything currently on the market?
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Also not tablets.

nVidia Shield K1 would be an ideal Android tablet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

I don't agree, there's loads of tablets with HDMI out - I own 5; 2 Teclasts, 2 Hudls and a Cube.

I've never had a single problem finding an HDMI compatible tablet, there's literally hundreds on eBayfor example.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't seem very flexible limiting to one device and HDMI.

Why not a NAS drive on the home network? Then you can share media and files to all your devices including the TV assuming it's DNLA? I also recommend the Chromecast - I've streamed HD movies rented via Google Play using this method plus 1080p content on my phone using a cast enabled video player Mr file manager. No lag whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Doesn't seem very flexible limiting to one device and HDMI.

Why not a NAS drive on the home network?

Because I don't have a home network? Because I've only got one TV? And I like the simplicity of just plugging in the cable and go.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Because I don't have a home network? Because I've only got one TV? And I like the simplicity of just plugging in the cable and go.

Fair enough in your case but it's a viable option that the person who created this thread should know about or anyone else who comes across this thread.
  • Options
    dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    khampson wrote: »
    Hello, I am wanting a tablet that supports hdmi output to play HD videos on a TV, I am not to fussed about the size as long as it can play HD video without lag/skipping and have a budget of £300

Any suggestions
    Thank you in advance

If you are looking the tablet for purely watching video on your TV, have you thought about an android tv box / amazon fire stick / nvidia shield tv?

You don't say where you are sourcing the videos from - physical files (like mp3, avi, mkv) or are you streaming them from netflix, kodi or something similar?
  • Options
    Citizen KaneCitizen Kane Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asus T100TA Tablet has an HDMI output.