Downtown Radio in Northern Ireland

Comments

• theoldiesmantheoldiesman Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Yes I can confirm Guys I am LIVE Monday - Thursday 1am - 6am on East Of Midnight on Downtown
    One way to find out check our webcam!!
    www.downtown.co.uk
    Regards
    Kenny :)

mojo loop wrote: »
    I See Kenny Tosh has moved to Downtown, after a fairly long stint at U105.
    He did a great night time show although, It was Recorded on U105, I think Kenny is live on Downtown.

Not live at Downtown either, not sure many stations are live overnight, maybe Cool FM
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I can confirm Guys I am LIVE Monday - Thursday 1am - 6am on East Of Midnight on Downtown
    One way to find out check our webcam!!
    www.downtown.co.uk
    Regards

I'll be listening LIVE on DAB Kenny :D
  • jackandjilljackandjill Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    That is one way, you could always call in to prove that.
    The Downtown website is hopelessly out of date, quite a few have gone, I don't see any pics of Kenny or Siobhan on there.

I'll be listening LIVE on DAB Kenny :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    That is one way, you could always call in to prove that.
    The Downtown website is hopelessly out of date, quite a few have gone, I don't see any pics of Kenny or Siobhan on there.

Details of Kenny Tosh and Pic on U105 website.
    Forum Member
    I have seen that, but it looks like the U105 is out of date as well.But no pic of the above mentioned presenters on Downtown;s website.
    With Bauer being such a large company, the websites would be kept up to date frequently.

QUOTE=radio-tuner;56757036]Details of Kenny Tosh and Pic on U105 website.[/QUOTE]
  • spannersspanners Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say that's because they're not on FM in greater Belfast, in my opinion..

OK, so they're on DAB, but most cars don't have DAB radios. DAB take up in the province is also way below that of the rest of the UK (the lack of stations problem, no Digital One, and generally poor coverage).

FM radio is what a vast majority of people still listen to when they're driving.

Coverage must by now be well over 90% (it was 89% for EMAP (Bauer) in 2010 and 87% for the BBC). There are 21 DAB stations - which isn't bad compared to some other areas in the UK and two of the most popular stations on D1 are on the local Mux. There is also a cracking signal in Belfast with the 10kW Divis transmitter - I have two DAB hi-fi's that measure how the good the signal is differently - one a Yamaha shows a signal error rate on all channels of 0 and the other a Denon shows signal strength at 100%. The sound quality is superb, to equal that with FM I'd have to have an external aerial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 21 DAB stations - which isn't bad compared to some other areas in the UK

but poor compared to areas that have 40 plus stations, incuding Digital One. Add to the fact that we still have no Absolute Radio on DAB in the province, which is an absolute disgrace after all this time.

Still, hopefully this will change after the switch off of analogue TV in the ROI on the 24th October. I gather there are planned Digital One transmitter sites for the province so hopefully, these will come on stream sooner rather than later.
    There is also a cracking signal in Belfast with the 10kW Divis transmitter -

Well, the commercial multiplex comes from Black Mountain, as far as I'm aware, although there are plans to move it to Divis in the near future, from what I've heard.

Reception of the commercial multiplex is also atrocious outside Belfast. Places such as Ballymena and Bangor are poor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    but poor compared to areas that have 40 plus stations, incuding Digital One. Add to the fact that we still have no Absolute Radio on DAB in the province, which is an absolute disgrace after all this time.

Still, hopefully this will change after the switch off of analogue TV in the ROI on the 24th October. I gather there are planned Digital One transmitter sites for the province so hopefully, these will come on stream sooner rather than later.

Well, the commercial multiplex comes from Black Mountain, as far as I'm aware, although there are plans to move it to Divis in the near future, from what I've heard.

Reception of the commercial multiplex is also atrocious outside Belfast. Places such as Ballymena and Bangor are poor.

actually signal not too bad in the city centre but i agree that the choice in an issue
    Forum Member
    Just heard big changes are afloat at citybeat. Chances are downtown will need to prepare for what staff go there now. not to mention those already jumped to u105.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ringsabell wrote: »
    Just heard big changes are afloat at citybeat. Chances are downtown will need to prepare for what staff go there now. not to mention those already jumped to u105.

Interesting.
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

Yes indeed Peter. 2 presenters and their programme controller sacked and a new lineup and managment team to be brought in now. I see ex Downtown / Citybeat DJ Paul Orr has already jumped to a new show on U105 too. Always liked him. Another good move by U105.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed Peter. 2 presenters and their programme controller sacked and a new lineup and managment team to be brought in now. I see ex Downtown / Citybeat DJ Paul Orr has already jumped to a new show on U105 too. Always liked him. Another good move by U105.

Wonder if it's going to be more of a "yoof" station competing with Cool FM and Blast ?
  • AndyB100AndyB100 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I suspect you may be right - the problem is that U105 came in with a similar format to the old Citybeat 6.5 years ago and do it better, and there may not be much room for it up against Cool FM.

Am I right in thinking that Citybeat's owners CN Group are trying to sell it at the moment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyB100 wrote: »
    I suspect you may be right - the problem is that U105 came in with a similar format to the old Citybeat 6.5 years ago and do it better, and there may not be much room for it up against Cool FM.

Am I right in thinking that Citybeat's owners CN Group are trying to sell it at the moment?

There where rumours a while back that NMG were interested in buying it, if I remember correctly, although I would imagine the MMC would stop any such merger.

It'll be interesting to see if they get rid of the older presenters.
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See George Jones is moving to Drivetime's new 4pm slot from Monday 2nd April - allowing listeners plenty of time to switch off well in advance.

Gary Myles - now there's a fabulous addition to Downtown, long overdue some fresh, young talent. Gary should pull the younger generation in now, as I'm sure he will being a Cool FM jock. His show is excellent!

Kenny Tosh - enjoy Kenny's night time show when it's actually live. His show is live about 80/90% of the time. When you hear the old "text lines are not open" BS, then you know he's been in earlier to record the show and taken the night off.

Big T - great to hear him in new 10am-2pm Saturday show, big lovely is the man!
    Forum Member
    No Guys ! I'm live 100 % of the time, all you have to do is check the webcam! :cool:
    Regards

Kenny

NRG wrote: »
    See George Jones is moving to Drivetime's new 4pm slot from Monday 2nd April - allowing listeners plenty of time to switch off well in advance.

Gary Myles - now there's a fabulous addition to Downtown, long overdue some fresh, young talent. Gary should pull the younger generation in now, as I'm sure he will being a Cool FM jock. His show is excellent!

Kenny Tosh - enjoy Kenny's night time show when it's actually live. His show is live about 80/90% of the time. When you hear the old "text lines are not open" BS, then you know he's been in earlier to record the show and taken the night off.

Big T - great to hear him in new 10am-2pm Saturday show, big lovely is the man!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard George Jones on chatting with Owen Larkin this afternoon about his new show. .

George will always have a certain following I suppose, no matter what you think of him. He seemed pleased at being back on weekdays rather than the Sunday evening slot, which is really a bit of a graveyard time radio wise. For a while U 105 appeared to be having difficuly filling it.
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking the Downtown drivetime show makes a mockery of claims by MJ that Jones wanted to downgrade his workload by ending his U105 drivetime show. I along with 99% of listeners knew that was total BS! it was obvious Jones was kicked to the kerb to make way for Hero despite MJ's denials on here at time.

Hi Kenny, you're doing a great job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Kenny, you're doing a great job.

Yep, agreed NRG.

Always thought Kenny was far too good a presenter to be on community radio stations.

Community radio is for amateurs like myself !
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long live Zee 103! All the best Kenny at DTR.
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys for the comments, Delighted to hear you enjoy the shows.
    It's great to be with the team at Downtown!

PS Zee seems like a lifetime ago!!

Rodney wrote: »
    Long live Zee 103! All the best Kenny at DTR.
    Forum Member
    im at a loss to how downtown plan in turning their recent poor fortunes. three weeks into their new schedule with kenny tosh, richard young and george jones. sorry guys but with a combined age of 250 dont be expecting a surge of younger listeners banging down the door. their new breakfast show is poor and with 4 newsroom staff resigning in the past week things must be grim there. for a while last year i thought downtown had woke up and smelt the 2012....now it appears this once great station has gone back to their comfort zone with dire dated playlist and dinosaur djs. just watch rajar next month!
    Forum Member
    You're wrong, Downtown is sounding great, it is not meant for young listeners, that is what Cool FM is for.
    A combined age of 250 is a stupid comment, and must come from a former member of staff who has now gone to another station.

im at a loss to how downtown plan in turning their recent poor fortunes. three weeks into their new schedule with kenny tosh, richard young and george jones. sorry guys but with a combined age of 250 dont be expecting a surge of younger listeners banging down the door. their new breakfast show is poor and with 4 newsroom staff resigning in the past week things must be grim there. for a while last year i thought downtown had woke up and smelt the 2012....now it appears this once great station has gone back to their comfort zone with dire dated playlist and dinosaur djs. just watch rajar next month!
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So is Derek Flood gone now? It does seem weird to zig zag from going younger to going older. It usually just confuses listeners as to what the brand stands for.
  • spannersspanners Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're wrong, Downtown is sounding great, it is not meant for young listeners, that is what Cool FM is for.
    A combined age of 250 is a stupid comment, and must come from a former member of staff who has now gone to another station.

I agree, I'm not an avid listener to DTR but I tuned in for some time last week and it sounded a lot better than it has for ages. I for one would have changed stations within 20 minutes before.
    I'm not a particular fan of George Jones but he does have experience and that only comes with age! As for the Rajars well we'll have to wait and see how the new format beds in but one is for certain one Rajar does not indicate a trend.