CD Recording?

Hello all

Does anybody know how I can copy a CD as a whole album instead of individual tracks? I have a few albums where some tracks merge into each other and I'd like to keep to this when I listen back on my mp3 player.

Thanks to all who reply.

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you copy the CD to your PC, don't the merged ones show up as a single track?

I remember having the opposite problem with WMP a few years ago, when on one CD the gap between tracks was too short, and it was treating two tracks as a single one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    No it's records each track singularly and theres is a distinctive pause between the tracks concerned.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried CDBurnerXP which gives the options
    'No pause between tracks'
    or
    'A pause for 2 seconds between all tracks'

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Despite the name it works on Vista/7/8 too
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most likely your mp3 player - most will play with "gapless playback" but some will not
  • plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    You need to maintain the pre-gaps. CDBurnerXP either fixes them at 2 seconds or removes them. I found ImgBurn can do this. Make an image of your source disc. It will list all the tracks, but it makes a single image, and importantly, images the content of the pregap (if it exists) for each track along with the track data. Then use ImgBurn to burn the image to a blank disc (again it will list all the tracks).

I had to solve this problem when trying to copy Richard Wright's (Pink Floyd) Broken China cd. One of the tracks has a 19 second pregap, but it actually contains a short inter track silence, then about 18 seconds of the beginning of the track's audio. Whichever setting I used with CDBurnerXP (and pretty much everything else) it didn't come out right.

If you're ripping to mp3, you need to prepend the pregap to the front of the mp3. something like CueRipper has options to do this. The gaps are added to the beginning of the tracks, but you do need an mp3 player with "gapless" playback, ie a player that will start the next track hard on the heels of the previous one. CueRipper will also let you add the pregap to the end of the previous track instead, but although that seems the correct way to do it, its non-standard, and would have made an even bigger mess of the Broken China cd.