Options

Ocd

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched a drama the other night where a character had OCD. How debilitating it must be and sad for the family and friends. I once heard that the figures of those suffering this is quite high and some people keep it to themselves. I knew a man who had to give up work for a while but is now back on track. Has anyone been affected by it in anyway?

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a bit of OCD. I'm always double checking doors are locked and stuff like that.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    My cousin has it, he's 11. It's not a severe case and it doesn't seem to get him down or affect him massively, but it understandably worries his parents. I can imagine it's an incredibly frustrating disorder.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously my dog had it! He would have a night time routine and if it changed in anyway he went aggressive.
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    my friends 14 year old son has it.

He's obsessed by germs and constantly needs to wash his hands.

my 2 year old daughter was jumping all over him the other day and she has a bit of a snotty nose.

His face:eek:, he was panicked, freak out and I thought he was about to cry.

I had to get the antibac out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worse in Ocdober.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a bit of OCD. I'm always double checking doors are locked and stuff like that.

I am exactly the same. My OCD comes in the form of checking windows and doors are locked and there are no plugs in the sockets. I have to unplug everything except the fridge when I leave the house. I circle the house 3 times before I leave checking every plug socket and window, then when I lock the front door I have to check it 32 times, in a particular pattern I even then drive a certain way, so I can check all windows again from the outside. I know it is crazy and drives my OH nuts, but he has learnt that if you disturb me while I am doing it, I will just have to start again. I wish I could stop it, but I am lucky really because it doesn't actually stop me from doing things just takes longer for me to leave the house! :eek:
  • Options
    Vanilla_SliceVanilla_Slice Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    One of my all time favorite films is 'As Good As It Gets'.

I had to touch my temple 4 times while typing this.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon most people have it in some mild form.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a very mild form of it. Checking the door to make sure it's locked is one thing. Constantly getting my train ticket out of my wallet during the journey is another.
    However a good friend of mine has it much worse. She has facial tics, can't read books because she gets obsessed over certain words and numbers, has to say prayers to guide dogs if she sees them in the street, and has to touch certain ornaments if she walks past them in the house plus a multitude of other habits. She's considerably better than she was thanks to therapy, but when she gets stressed the ocd comes back. It's very dehabilitating for her. She was a professional woman with a very responsible job but had to take early retirement.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

Quite true. I'm always making sure the towels in our house are hung neatly on their racks, and that everything is generally clean and tidy. I like to make sure that things match each other as much as possible too.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think so too.. it's part of human behavior to be drawn to order, ritual and pattern and only crosses into becoming a 'disorder' when it negatively affects your life.

Therefore I guess it becomes 'OCD' when you take four times the length of time to do anything because you have to check, re-check and check again that the front door is locked, for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am far off the OCD scale. I am the most messy, disorganised, care free person you will ever meet to be honest.
  • Options
    AidanpAidanp Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as for checking that the immersion is off....
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is counting the number of letters in words/sentences and making them end in 5 or 0. It's ok now but it got so bad once it was keeping me awake until about 5 or 6 in the morning. The worst thing about OCD is that while it starts off fairly mild and uninhibiting it soon finds ways to complicate things and gets worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I have it. I can't go out of the house if I'm alone, because I keep going back to check that I've locked the door, even though I can see with my eyes that I have. So someone else has to be in the house. Before bed I have to switch the light in the bathroom on/off twice, the hall light off once, then I have to shut my bedroom door twice, switch the light on/off 3 times. Sometimes 5 times. Then I have to press my finger down on the switch to make sure that it's "level" and definitely switched off.
    It's insane and it drives me crazy. Told the doctor and my counsellor and they haven't told me anything as they consider my behaviour to be mild which is fair I suppose.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Punkchick wrote: »
    when I lock the front door I have to check it 32 times:

I once pulled the front door knob out of the door doing something similar to that ... :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite true. I'm always making sure the towels in our house are hung neatly on their racks, and that everything is generally clean and tidy. I like to make sure that things match each other as much as possible too.
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I think so too.. it's part of human behavior to be drawn to order, ritual and pattern and only crosses into becoming a 'disorder' when it negatively affects your life.

I disagree. There exists, in addition to OCD, 'OCPD', which stands for 'Obsesive Compulsive Personality Disorder', which is a personality disorder rather than an anxiety disorder. Maybe OCPD is quite common, but I do not believe true OCD is present in most people.

OCD is about a lot more than being neat and tidy. It's always with you, you can always feel it and the anxiety it causes. It's irrational in a way that being tidy isn't - if my bathroom door handle isn't pushed up to the highest position, does it matter? No, of course not. But I still have to get out of bed and check it whenever someone opens or closes the door, whatever time of the night that may be.

If a cold object touches me I have to touch a cold object on the same point on the opposite side of my body. If I don't, I feel so wrong in a way that doesn't subside quickly. Sometimes I feel like I have invisible 'energy beams' coming out of my eyes, getting tangled behind radiators and other objects - and I have to stare desperately to try and untangle them, no matter how hard they resist. I know it's crazy, but what choice do I have?

Those are some of my compulsions. Then of course there are the obsessions that are so often overlooked in the media. Obsessive thoughts. The worst thing you can possibly do in a particular situation - being terrified of doing it, for no particular reason. Being worried about saying terrible things at a funeral to the relatives of the deceased - even though, of course, you never would. Or saying hurtful things to people who you care about.

If it's irrational, and you know it's irrational, but you're still powerless, then it's OCD.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have OCD when I was a teenager, I used to go round the house several times at night to make sure everything was switched off and all the doors were locked. Then I'd go up to bed, but I'd have to come down several times to check again. I'd get up in the night two or three times to go round and check everything. I knew I'd checked everything already, but I'd convince myself that I hadn't really checked, and I'd have to go round the house again.

Then I got the flu and was laid out for a fortnight, nothing terrible happened even tho' I'd not been able to check the house once. Basically cured me of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ganix wrote: »
    I disagree. There exists, in addition to OCD, 'OCPD', which stands for 'Obsesive Compulsive Personality Disorder', which is a personality disorder rather than an anxiety disorder. Maybe OCPD is quite common, but I do not believe true OCD is present in most people.

OCD is about a lot more than being neat and tidy. It's always with you, you can always feel it and the anxiety it causes. It's irrational in a way that being tidy isn't - if my bathroom door handle isn't pushed up to the highest position, does it matter? No, of course not. But I still have to get out of bed and check it whenever someone opens or closes the door, whatever time of the night that may be.

If a cold object touches me I have to touch a cold object on the same point on the opposite side of my body. If I don't, I feel so wrong in a way that doesn't subside quickly. Sometimes I feel like I have invisible 'energy beams' coming out of my eyes, getting tangled behind radiators and other objects - and I have to stare desperately to try and untangle them, no matter how hard they resist. I know it's crazy, but what choice do I have?

Those are some of my compulsions. Then of course there are the obsessions that are so often overlooked in the media. Obsessive thoughts. The worst thing you can possibly do in a particular situation - being terrified of doing it, for no particular reason. Being worried about saying terrible things at a funeral to the relatives of the deceased - even though, of course, you never would. Or saying hurtful things to people who you care about.

If it's irrational, and you know it's irrational, but you're still powerless, then it's OCD.

This is a fantastic post. I have a good friend who suffers very severely from OCD, to the extent he can hardly leave his own home anymore at the age of 25.

When my friends or other people say "I have a BIT of OCD" it really annoys me.. you can't have a bit of OCD.. either you have it, or you have a personality type disorder. OCD RUINS lives, and I feel so so sorry for anybody who has, or deals with it in one way or another whether through friends or family.

There's more to OCD than just checking the front door is locked and you keyboard is nice and straight on your desk.

The episode of "Scrubs" where MJ Fox plays an OCD sufferer is fantastic.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    This is a fantastic post.

Yours too. :)

FWIW, I describe my OCD as 'mild', but that's because I've worked hard at it over the years. I think of it as a demon in my head fighting me for control of my personality. I'm pleased to say some very considerate people have helped me avoid what I'm really not comfortable doing; one doctor helped me understand that I can just say 'No'.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I once pulled the front door knob out of the door doing something similar to that ... :o

I have broken the lock several times doing this. The lock is playing up again, so bad we are having to get a new door, the third one in just under 7 years. I have lost count of the amount of trains to work I have missed as aIthough I have done my checks, by the time I get to the station I feel so sick I have to go back home and check again, mad!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    It is a puzzling condition, for which I have empathy. ;) I had certainly thought that way about one neighbour of mine - His house is "biologically" clean and he scrubs his car etc. for hours on end. But then I found his obsessions ran to checking on ME too. He was mentally clocking ALL my daily activities, he constantly criticises, latterly appearing at my door, late at night, to "remind me" of stuff. The last straw was when I found him wandering about my garden before dawn... "just checking" apparently! He turned quite aggressive, when asked to leave. Part of me wants to help, but I sense it's more than OCD? :(
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OCD has been a naturally accepted part of my everyday life for years now. It is portrayed eeringly accurately in the detective series 'Monk'. One learns to manage one's life around it. There are far worse illnesses and worries in this life.
  • Options
    SexyBeachSexyBeach Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    ganix wrote: »

Thank you :) This is exactly what I was going to point out.
    I have a severe case of OCD, but not the type you would think, i.e. i must clean a lot and check things a lot. It's much more than that.
    I have had it all my life and I don't know any different :(
    As for my family, not supportive at all.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I sometimes like to put the remote controls in the correct order and straight. Is that a case of OCD?