Electric Sofa launching 3 film & entertainment channels on 1st Nov

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It looks like some of the team at Film 24 have found new backers and will be launching three new channels under a new Electric Sofa brand on Sky & Freesat on the 1st November:

the 1st channel is to be based on British films and other hidden gems

the 2nd channel to be based on international films

the 3rd channel will be general entertainment

their website here, more info here.

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    It looks like some of the team at Film 24 have found new backers and will be launching three new channels under a new Electric Sofa brand on Sky & Freesat on the 1st November:

the 1st channel is to be based on British films and other hidden gems

the 2nd channel to be based on international films

the 3rd channel will be general entertainment

their website here, more info here.

Neither link mentions freesat only Sky and other platforms. So they may only be accessable in non freesat mode
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Neither link mentions freesat only Sky and other platforms. So they may only be accessable in non freesat mode

They also could be encrypted. :confused:
    We'll have to wait and see..

Anyway I emailed this guy.. darren@dna-pr.com
    See if I get a reply..:rolleyes:
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooo! All of a quivver I am.

That press releae looks pretty straight foward to me, FTA, SKY and other platforms. Would Free to View fall within Skys basic subscription?
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Oooo! All of a quivver I am.

That press releae looks pretty straight foward to me, FTA, SKY and other platforms. Would Free to View fall within Skys basic subscription?

If it's FTV subscription is irrelevant,
  • neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    If you read it correctly, it says:

Electric Sofa will launch 3 new free-to-air channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you read it correctly, it says:

Electric Sofa will launch 3 new free-to-air channels.

So it's just a question of whether or not they're going to pony up for Freesat EPG listings.

Does anyone know if Freesat are reducing the price per listing of EPG channels as more join? (That's if the sum of those joining has been greater than the sum of those leaving. :rolleyes:)
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freesat already offer the cheapest EPG slots I don't see them reducing it.
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    So it's just a question of whether or not they're going to pony up for Freesat EPG listings.

Does anyone know if Freesat are reducing the price per listing of EPG channels as more join? (That's if the sum of those joining has been greater than the sum of those leaving. :rolleyes:)

The channels that have left mainly left the other platforms too,and I don't think they were must watch channels anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angustay wrote: »

But since they are not there to make a profit and any start up costs should now be behind them, if there are more channels then the price should go down.

terrykl wrote: »
    The channels that have left mainly left the other platforms too,and I don't think they were must watch channels anyway.

Yes, there weren't any that I watched, but if we're talking about splitting the EPG slot cost amongst n channels, the quality is irrelevant.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be in their interests to be on the Freesat EPG as Freesat users are far more likely to watch these channels than Sky users due to less total channels to choose from on Freesat.
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But since they are not there to make a profit and any start up costs should now be behind them, if there are more channels then the price should go down..

They are as we know a non profit set up,and they may have covered their start up costs but they have just announced a new major advertising campaign is due.this will not come cheap and has to be paid for.

I stand by what i have said previously,if achannel cannot afford Freesats Epg then they are hardly to survive long anyway!

In todays world what does £35 grand buy you? Not very much!!;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrykl wrote: »
    I stand by what i have said previously,if achannel cannot afford Freesats Epg then they are hardly to survive long anyway!

In todays world what does £35 grand buy you? Not very much!!;)

It's not what it costs as an absolute amount but what it costs related to the extra viewers you can claim when selling advertising space.

It doesn't matter how rich a channel is; they are not going to pay £10k for 1 viewer whereas they may will pay £200k for 20 million. The cheaper Freesat can make their EPG slots the more likely that ratio will be acceptable for a channel.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    It's not what it costs as an absolute amount but what it costs related to the extra viewers you can claim when selling advertising space.

It doesn't matter how rich a channel is; they are not going to pay £10k for 1 viewer whereas they may will pay £200k for 20 million. The cheaper Freesat can make their EPG slots the more likely that ratio will be acceptable for a channel.

Don't forget that with a fair amount of money paid for EPG slots, the subsequent investment in advertising will attract more viewers to the platform so in effect the broadcasters themselves aren't just getting an LCN for £30k but also publicity and marketing both on Freesat's website and in a wider sense to market the platform they are on.

I don't think EPG charges should be reduced simply because they may be closer to, or have broken even. They may be 'not for profit' but all the extra revenue can be channelled in to strong marketing campaigns which will increase brand awareness and ultimately give the platform a higher number of users which benefits everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Don't forget that with a fair amount of money paid for EPG slots, the subsequent investment in advertising will attract more viewers to the platform so in effect the broadcasters themselves aren't just getting an LCN for £30k but also publicity and marketing both on Freesat's website and in a wider sense to market the platform they are on.

I don't think EPG charges should be reduced simply because they may be closer to, or have broken even. They may be 'not for profit' but all the extra revenue can be channelled in to strong marketing campaigns which will increase brand awareness and ultimately give the platform a higher number of users which benefits everyone.

Yes, I didn't say that they should cut the cost, I was just wondering if they were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Any new news about these chananels coming to freesat epg?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnyowl wrote: »
    Any new news about these chananels coming to freesat epg?

A few weeks ago I heard they'd been delayed until at least the end of November, but that isn't looking good now either.

I'd be surprised if these channels ever see the light of day, to be honest.
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

AFAIK, the EPG fee for Sky is a lot lower. It's the platform contribution charge that's the killer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the platform contribution charge that's the killer.

thats funny

:D
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    now with added content.

http://www.sofascreen.tv/
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    now with added content.

http://www.sofascreen.tv/

Oh dear, will they use that sofa as a DOG I wonder or will it be something more subtle
  • goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering if the flashing might be a health hazard!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it backed by ITN then? They seem to be supplying the bulk of the programming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    If you scroll right down to the bottom of their page it quite clearly states "free to air on Sky, Freesat and other platforms"
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time davemurgatroyd posted back in July they had just a barebones web site and they didn't mention specific platforms. It's only with the recent revamp that they added the details.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any company that brings new type of channels to the UK TV platforms is great and even better if free.

We only have few companies that are in the game of TV now that one of the big companies has been sold ( Virgin TV ) to sky.

We need freedom in the TV market to keep prices down and give us a choice.

I say good luck and hope all ends well for ES.

I know we have BBC ITV and others but more is best as keeps them all on there toes to bring good shows and in price that the UK public are happy with and not been pushed into.