Options

Do you try to give precise cash in supermarkets?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
Forum Member
Today in asda a woman had a fair sized bill and went through the routine of getting seperate notes then ransacked her purse for the exact amount. She was 6p short, checked the purse again and then presented a fiver! :D

I cant remember the last time i paid the precise amount for a grocery bill with the debit card being used most of the time but i wonder of many DS members still try and tender the exact amount in cash.

Comments

• Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like holding up the self-serve checkouts in this manner :)

Although unlike the typically dense cow above, I've already mentally totalled my shopping and have determined whether or not I have the correct amount of cash to tender.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, Debit Card all the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to confuse younger staff when paying for my shopping.

For instance, if the bill is £15.40, I'll usually give the cashier £20.50.

If it's £6.03, I'd give £11.05.

I don't do it to be awkward, but you'd think that's what I was doing the way some of them look at me perplexed.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I do like holding up the self-serve checkouts in this manner :)

Although unlike the typically dense cow above, I've already mentally totalled my shopping and have determined whether or not I have the correct amount of cash to tender.

Hehe, I took all my shrapnel into tescos today so I could get rid of it at the self-service till :D
  • Options
    milnrow_ladmilnrow_lad Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    Hehe, I took all my shrapnel into tescos today so I could get rid of it at the self-service till :D

The Morrisons self service tills are more fun when taking in your all shrapnel (sorry I mean coins). They have a roller belt / mini conveyor belt system on which you place your coins..... and its quicker than inserting one coin at a time. :D

MilnrowLad
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH does, drives me nuts when he is scratching around i for the exact money. It's one of the reasons he goes on his own now. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do - it's great to get rid of all that spare change, unlike the tossers at the door putting their bags of coins through Coinstar, or whatever it's called, and getting less back.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Nope, Debit Card all the way.

This. It's so convenient!
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that shops can refuse change over £20, or something like that!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm like the queen, I don't carry cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »

£5 - for any amount
    £2 - for any amount
    £1 - for any amount
    50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
    20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
    10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
    5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
    2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
    1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    £5 - for any amount
    £2 - for any amount
    £1 - for any amount
    50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
    20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
    10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
    5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
    2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
    1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

So that means you can use 20p worth of 1ps in your change?
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »

I don't do it to be awkward, but you'd think that's what I was doing the way some of them look at me perplexed.

I do exactly the same thing. Both of your examples make perfect sense to me and seem entirely rational, and yet you can practically see the younger cashiers' brains exploding.

And you're quite right; I hadn't previously realised but it does seem to be the younger staff who have this problem. I'm going to assume that it's a lack of experience rather than an inability to count.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless I need change - yes I try to give precise amount.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that means you can use 20p worth of 1ps in your change?

Supposedly - the shops can legally refuse any amount of any change, these are just the maximum 'legal' amounts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    Supposedly - the shops can legally refuse any amount of any change, these are just the maximum 'legal' amounts.

I know its annoying having to take change, but wouldnt the shops rather the money than not at all!!

I always pay by card but if they dont take card, and I know I have change, I do try to pay with the right money!
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    When I worked on a checkout, I would give people five pound coins when they did this (not that there were ever many £5 notes or £2 coins in the drawer, anyway). :p
    |They can refuse to accept any denominations of cash they like.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I always like to pay by cash. I never have a great deal of money in my bank so like to think wisely about each bit of money i spend.

I'll only use my debit card on rare occasions like paying bills as if i used it willy nilly like some i'd forget how much i'd spent as it doesn't always show up on my account as being spent until a few days later.

Much easier dealing in cash for me anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    When I worked on a checkout, I would give people five pound coins when they did this (not that there were ever many £5 notes or £2 coins in the drawer, anyway). :p

LOL. You didn't work for Asda by any chance did you? I find it's the young staff there who generally cannot fathom out how to take a £5 note from the till.

:p:D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do - it's great to get rid of all that spare change, unlike the tossers at the door putting their bags of coins through Coinstar, or whatever it's called, and getting less back.

I would think the company doing them is about to go bust even though we do seem to breed that t word..
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never need change. I pay with plastic.
  • Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I purposely give them too much money or not enough, just to get on the shop keepers nerves. :cool:
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I never need change. I pay with plastic.

Are you one of those annoying people who buy a chocolate bar and a drink with a credit card?

I hate people like that.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only pay with plastic and ask for cashback too!:cool:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless there's a queue I try to give exact cash- saves me arsing about counting it later on when I'm trying to figure out whether I can afford tobacco or not.