should we re introduce wolves, bears and lynxes to britain?

Comments

• ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My American friends in North Carolina would disagree with you. Wait until they dig through your rubbish bins and claw your face off. Or reconfigure your cat's face.

If they had securable trash bins then they wouldn't have a problem. Raccoons are not so difficult to deal with. If you put your face in their face and scare and provoke them then that's about the only time they will claw your face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    i say why not. We could do with some more diverse wild life these days, and it would put a lot of fox hunters etc off. What do YOU think?

I like to be able to walk in the woods without fear. :o
    Forum Member
    Scrolllock wrote: »
    If they had securable trash bins then they wouldn't have a problem. Raccoons are not so difficult to deal with. If you put your face in their face and scare and provoke them then that's about the only time they will claw your face.

I didn't know they could be potentially that dangerous. :eek:We had a family of raccoons watch us play midnight golf in Canada.
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    I didn't know they could be potentially that dangerous. :eek:We had a family of raccoons watch us play midnight golf in Canada.

They will not harm you if you leave them alone.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    There is a beaver reintroduction programme in Scotland I believe. If they were going to reintroduce bears, perhaps they could do it on Peckham Rye. They'd find plenty of food there that nobody would miss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    How many do you think would survive after being shot due to going for us?

Good question, but this is probably today's wind up thread. :)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    There is a beaver reintroduction programme in Scotland I believe. If they were going to reintroduce bears, perhaps they could do it on Peckham Rye. They'd find plenty of food there that nobody would miss.
    Indeed there is: http://www.scottishbeavers.org.uk/

I don't know how successful it is, though. Part of a story from 2009:
    Plan to reintroduce beavers in disarray amid mystery shots

Lindsay McIntosh

The project to reintroduce beavers to Scotland was in disarray last night after it emerged that one had vanished, two had gone on the run and another had died. Police are investigating the first case after wildlife agencies claimed that the beaver might have been shot.

Critics of the £1.8 million plan to reintroduce beavers 400 years after they died out in Britain predicted dire consequences for wildlife, trees and land. They said that if the animals spread into river areas they would interfere with Scotland’s angling industry by blocking streams. They also claimed that the beavers might bring disease...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6741770.ece

It's a bit surprising that the last project update from the beaver trial was over a year ago, but maybe that isn't significant:

http://www.scottishbeavers.org.uk/news/project-updates/
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed they managed to find that domain still free:eek: The Glasgow swingers club missed a trick:D
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail would love it.

"Bears a risk to our children"... "Wolves cause of cancer for woodland ramblers"...

:)

The Sun and The Star would be full of "These bears coming over 'ere, taking our woods" type comments.
    Forum Member
    :)

The Sun and The Star would be full of "These bears coming over 'ere, taking our woods" type comments.

Only the black and brown bears, the Polar bear should be fine, ohh, then there's the mixed Panda...
    Forum Member
    Riccy wrote: »
    Only the black and brown bears, the Polar bear should be fine, ohh, then there's the mixed Panda...

That would confuse them. :)
    Forum Member
    That would confuse them. :)

I'm confused..the thread has become 'wildlife' nationalistic'! :eek:
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Fortunately, Lister (the very rich son of the founder of MFI) has abandoned his notions of keeping wolves at Alladale:

http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/news/no-wolves-for-alladale-1.1053718

He now seems to have ended up with some wild boar and a few elk. There are also plans to encourage wildcats on his land, and that's probably a good thing, though I don't know how he's going to do it.

Access to wild land is part of the law of Scotland, whereas Lister planned to surround large areas with high electric fences. I don't see why a rich incomer should be allowed to break the law by denying the public access to the land so that he can indulge his whims.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/your-access-rights/

I have no problem with him encouraging wildcats, one of our rarest native species.

As for wild boar, they are already common in places such as the Forest of Dean.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you insane? We killed these buggers for a reason. No no no!

How long before people got killed while out camping or skiing?

Tell you what "predator", answer the question with a bear ripping your intestines out and with a wolf with it's jaws around your tackle.
    Forum Member
    Are you insane? We killed these buggers for a reason. No no no!

How long before people got killed while out camping or skiing?

Tell you what "predator", answer the question with a bear ripping your intestines out and with a wolf with it's jaws around your tackle.

Wolf and lynx attack stories are bollocks, never really happen. I blame Jack London, in that opening section of 'White Fang'. Bears, it's Grizzlies that do for people in America, not European black bears, and the smaller brown ones you get in other European countries. I've been quite close to one once, I'm still here. If they were that dangerous, how come there are nearly 300 million Americans? Surely they should all have been eaten by now?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with him encouraging wildcats, one of our rarest native species.

As for wild boar, they are already common in places such as the Forest of Dean.
    There don't even seem to be many wild boar at Alladale, and they're kept in an enclosure, I believe — probably largely as another attraction for the paying guests on the estate:
    In February, the estate had its licence to keep 17 wild boar and two European elk renewed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11211876

As for the wildcats, if the project gets under way I guess it'll be a captive breeding programme of which there seem to be several in Scotland. I think the Highland Wildlife Park runs one, and Sir John Lister Kaye has recently set one up at the Aigas Field Centre, where he also has beavers.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the government will like the idea of introducing bears to cull the excess population and ward off immigration... I'm surprised they have not yet thought of letting bears roam freely around our channel ports.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am happy with the reintroduction of the beaver and wild boar. They are relatively small creatures with relatively small territories. The wolf however - I just think the days are gone when a wolf could happily roam in the great wilderness that is the UK. Same for bears. There's just not the room, and where there is room there are invariably sheep and cattle. Its sad really as I think both are magnificent creatures. But for all I'd like the idea, the reality would be almost impossible to manage properly.

There was an idea to release wolves I think - somewhere in Scotland. But there were problems with the fencing idea and land use rights etc IIRC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we would, it'd shake things up a bit. :D

Some wolves, few bears, as long as we never have deadly house spiders I don't mind.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    I am happy with the reintroduction of the beaver and wild boar. They are relatively small creatures with relatively small territories. The wolf however - I just thing the days are gone when a wolf could happily roam in the great wilderness that is the UK. Same for bears. There's just not the room, and where there is room there are invariably sheep and cattle. Its sad really as I think both are magnificent creatures. But for all I'd like the idea, the reality would be almost impossible to manage properly.

There was an idea to release wolves I think - somewhere in Scotland. But there were problems with the fencing idea and land use rights etc IIRC.

Agreed. Sad as it may be we've moved on now.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish we would, it'd shake things up a bit. :D

Some wolves, few bears, as long as we never have deadly house spiders I don't mind.

I'd up the ante if it were possible , with Hyenas, scorpions , tigers , bull elephants etc for the northern cities. For the SE , saber tooths, mammoths and even dinosaurs to predate on and terrorise the people .
    Forum Member
    mb@2day wrote: »
    I'd up the ante if it were possible , with Hyenas, scorpions , tigers , bull elephants etc for the northern cities. For the SE , saber tooths, mammoths and even dinosaurs to predate on and terrorise the people .

I'm going to need a bigger gun:eek: I could cope with the sabre tooth, but mammoths and dinosaurs!
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I'm going to need a bigger gun:eek: I could cope with the sabre tooth, but mammoths and dinosaurs!

Been putting off buying that tank you've always wanted ?
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alez wrote: »
    When did bears cease to exist in the wild in the UK?

About the same time the royal guards started to make hats out of them?
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    No, that wasn't a plan to release them into the wild, that was Paul Lister's idea of keeping them in a Jurassic Park style large zoo.