Presents for ill children

LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi - sorry to add to the mound of threads on presents but really wanted to get some advice from anyone in the medical professional.

Next week, a few of us are going to be visiting a hospital ward for terminally ill children and doing the whole dressing up as Santa and the Elves type thing. We want to take them some presents but conscious of the fact that they might not be allowed certain things (like fluffy teddies as the fur might irritate, get dirty). The hospital are being very slow in coming back to us as to what might be suitable for them and just wondered if anyone else might know? We're hoping to go out and buy things tonight after work (late night shopping!) and wrap them up ready for next week. We really don't want to buy anything that will be taken away after it's been unwrapped. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Art supplies like crayons, felt-tips and sketch pads, story books, puzzle books, board games?
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jigsaws, books which play the musical sounds? Anything with flashing lights. Lots of musical instruments - the nurses might not thank you for it, but the kids certainly will!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are they?

But yes, I'd agree with puzzles, colouring things, maybe crafty things that can be done sitting up in bed by kids that aren't very energetic. Maybe jokey things too - I don't know, magic tricks, joke books?
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, fab ideas - thank you! I love the musical instruments suggestion, everyone could join in with each other.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A trip to the Early Learning Centre might be useful for you, if only to get ideas.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this site for kid craft things and can't help feeling how nice it would be for the parents when their little ones have gone to have the things they made:

http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/category-arts-and-crafts-ARTS.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    I love this site for kid craft things and can't help feeling how nice it would be for the parents when their little ones have gone to have the things they made:

http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/category-arts-and-crafts-ARTS.htm

That's actually made me quite tearful (in a good way!) - that's such a lovely idea. Thank you x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I'm a nurse in a large kids' hospital, anything age appropriate is great, arts and craft things are good for the kids that have the energy and a wonderful way for the familys to interact during bad times, but some DVD's for the ones that are "under the weather" is a wise choice.
    Furry/fluffy toys are fine, hospitals aren't allowed to keep them as they cannot be cleaned between kids, but they are fine to be given to a kid to keep and go home with (and stay in the hospital while the kids are in). If you're planning to leave stuff for the toy room, it needs to be easily washable (i.e. plastic (no lego!))
    The nurses and play leaders will appreciate some small things for the reward box, these are chosen by the kids after a procedure eg blood tests. No need to wrap those ones.

P.S. We all in the health service really appreciate you thinking of the kids and families at this time. Thanks for making our jobs and their time just a little bit easier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    spamdrew wrote: »
    I'm a nurse in a large kids' hospital, anything age appropriate is great, arts and craft things are good for the kids that have the energy and a wonderful way for the familys to interact during bad times, but some DVD's for the ones that are "under the weather" is a wise choice.
    Furry/fluffy toys are fine, hospitals aren't allowed to keep them as they cannot be cleaned between kids, but they are fine to be given to a kid to keep and go home with (and stay in the hospital while the kids are in). If you're planning to leave stuff for the toy room, it needs to be easily washable (i.e. plastic (no lego!))
    The nurses and play leaders will appreciate some small things for the reward box, these are chosen by the kids after a procedure eg blood tests. No need to wrap those ones.

P.S. We all in the health service really appreciate you thinking of the kids and families at this time. Thanks for making our jobs and their time just a little bit easier.

Thats one of the nicest things I've read all week :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spamdrew wrote: »

Thank you so much for that post... I know it's going to be quite tough but it's ultimately tougher for the kids and families we are going to see than for us. Personally, I'm really looking forward to it and we've got some great stuff that I hope will bring a smile to their lovely faces. My mum's a nurse and I think you guys are amazing and don't get enough credit for the fantastic job you all do. What we're doing is a small drop in the ocean to what you guys do. xx
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you all CRB checked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you all CRB checked?

Not a problem as none of us will be alone with any children at any point. Parents, nurses etc will all be there.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,275
    Forum Member
    that's such a nice thing you're doing. this thread has made me cry a little :)