Options

How Americanised Are You?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
Forum Member
✭✭
Looking around me here in my "man-cave" I have a lot of Americana. Most of it sent to me by a cousin from the States.

A Sponge-Bob kleenex box.

A small bronze Empire State building on which I placed a Magilla Gorilla rubber on top.

A small bust of Edgar Allan Poe.

Models of a Ford Model T, a 1965 Ford Mustang, a 1928 Plymouth Model Q Coupe and a NASA Space Shuttle.

A framed replica of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks.

A framed replica of Ansel Adams' The Tetons and the Snake River.

A NASCAR Checkered Flag.

A Gadsden flag.

A small American flag displayed with a small Union flag, a small Canadian flag and a small Trinidad and Tobago flag.

Well over a hundred DVDs of American films and TV series.

Numerous American authored books, graphic novels and comics.

A red 'Solo' cup of which I have ice and 'Sunkist' Orange Soda in it.

Packets of Del-Scorcho and Del-Inferno hot sauce.

An 'Oyster Box', which I folded myself, I'm eating spicy Chop-suey from with break-apart chopsticks.

A 'fortune cookie' and a couple of white fudge covered OREO cookies.

I find myself saying Side walk, candy, Channel-surfing, Awesome, Dude, Bitch-slap, Loser (Whilst using the 'L' hand sign).

Fist-bumping and High-fiving are becoming commonplace too.
That's just a few.

so, how Americanised Are You?

Comments

• Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet a lot of people say the American "Skedule" instead of the British "Shedule".
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Oh dear!

Well I go to the USA once a year to Denver and de-americanise the Americans I visit. I point out their spelling is wrong and so is their pronounciation.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    "Americanized" if you please.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet a lot of people say the American "Skedule" instead of the British "Shedule".

It's schedule not shedule, pronounced skedule.

[Prepare to be flamed for correcting someone's. spelling.:o:D]

I don't have any American memorbilia so not really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I don't think I own anything that is American. I have a NYC poster on my bedroom wall.. but that doesn't really count..
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon it's been at least two hours since there was a thread where people could bitch about the USA while on topic.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand the past couple of generations having been inculcated by saturation with their drivel through the advent of satellite TV. Having said that, when I was young in the early 80s I had a friend who was absolutely obsessed with "America" and little but the most Americanised aspects of popular culture of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reckon it's been at least two hours since there was a thread where people could bitch about the USA while on topic.

We're slacking!
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I'm merkinised due to the unexpected onset of pubic alopecia this morning.
  • Options
    MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    It's schedule not shedule, pronounced skedule.

[Prepare to be flamed for correcting someone's. spelling.:o:D]

I don't have any American memorbilia so not really.

Without wishing to 'speak' for anyone else, I think spoonfulofsense was referring to the pronunciation as opposed to the spelling.

And it's memorabilia, by the way ;)
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Takkiya wrote: »
    A red 'Solo' cup...

You Brits are utterly fascinated by those cups, aren't you? I can't count how many times I have seen Brits on the 'net inquiring "What are those red/blue cups people always seem to have at parties on American TV shows?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    You Brits are utterly fascinated by those cups, aren't you? I can't count how many times I have seen Brits on the 'net inquiring "What are those red/blue cups people always seem to have at parties on American TV shows?"

I've never heard of these! What are they? Like Mooncups?
  • Options
    DutyPaidDutyPaid Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago my friend in Pittsburgh sent me a Terrible Towel. A must for Steelers fans.

She sends me American candy occasionally but it's awful. Nearly everything has peanut butter in it and is full of hydrogenated fat. I sent her some Thorntons chocolate last week. Proper chocolate. She loves mint aero and Cadbury fudge. Next time I'll send Mr Kipling almond slices.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex is American, as is my Daughter. I spend a lot of time Stateside with friends, normally messing about on various military bases. I drive a '67 Impala and have a '76 Monte Carlo. So yeah, pretty much.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all, thankfully. Their persistent misuse of the English language irritates me intensely.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    DutyPaid wrote: »
    ..hydrogenated fat.

Cadbury's UK chocolate can't be legally sold in the US as "chocolate" because it substitutes vegetable fat and palm oil for cocoa butter, so I wouldn't get on too high a horse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    My ex is American, as is my Daughter. I spend a lot of time Stateside with friends, normally messing about on various military bases. I drive a '67 Impala and have a '76 Monte Carlo. So yeah, pretty much.

If I was born with the right equipment, I'd have an erection right now!

I have two little half-American kids, plus I was born and raised in the place, so yep, pretty Americanised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I've never heard of these! What are they? Like Mooncups?

I made an absolute fortune selling SuperMooncups(tm) this weekend.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I say, for example "May-through-August" rather than the Anglicised version.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I say some American words like 'doofus', 'awesome' etc, but I totally feel like and idiot after.
  • Options
    DutyPaidDutyPaid Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Cadbury's UK chocolate can't be legally sold in the US as "chocolate" because it substitutes vegetable fat and palm oil for cocoa butter, so I wouldn't get on too high a horse.

What high horse?

I can't say I'm an expert on chocolate production.
    I have, however, seen and heard plenty about hydrogenated fat / trans fats.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion I was getting on my "high horse". Dear me.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is chocolate, regardless of what a load of ignorant foreigners think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I made an absolute fortune selling SuperMooncups(tm) this weekend.

SuperMooncups? Presumably that's for when one's menstrual flow errs more on the Niagra falls end of the spectrum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    SuperMooncups? Presumably that's for when one's menstrual flow errs more on the Niagra falls end of the spectrum?

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/stories/supermoon-dazzles-biggest-full-moon-in-18-years-amazes-skywatchers

It was overwhelming. Also red.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like totally.