Mommy Dearest

***KEL******KEL*** Posts: 520
Forum Member
✭✭
A film about Joan Crawford and her children ..... Not sure how much of it was true but quite disturbing in places. Saw it a while after i saw 'Whatever happened to Baby Jane' which i think is an amazing film. Anyone else seen it and did u rate it?

Comments

• Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw bits and think it looks lame. I'm a massive Joan Crawford fan though so I may be bias. Faye Dunaway says the film ruined her career.
  • ***KEL******KEL*** Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh really. Yh it wasnt brilliant just had a creepy feel to it. Like i say i dont know how much is true.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ***KEL*** wrote: »
    Ahh really. Yh it wasnt brilliant just had a creepy feel to it. Like i say i dont know how much is true.

Apparently an awful lot of it is fiction, which is a shame because Joan Crawfords memory is now tainted by a shitty film that had no real truth to it. I don't know what possessed Faye Dunaway to make it.

Whatever happened to baby jane is a brilliant film though. I love Joan Crawford, if you liked that you should check out some of her other stuff. :D

NO WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE HANGERS. Is something I'm always met with when I say Joan Crawford is my favourite actress of all time. lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha :D yh no wire hangerssss! Yh i love those kind of Films from back then. Thing is Joan Crawford is and will always b a legend Mommy dearest or not ...
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Anne Bancroft wisely turned it down, obviously she read the lousy script and knew that it would be a turkey.

It was so sloppily made that when Dunaway as Crawford walks into Louis B Mayer's office in 1943 there is a big poster on the wall with the MGM Stars of 1954, including 22 year old Liz Taylor, who would have been eleven years old in 1943.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a camp classic.

Quite a bad film but endlessly enjoyable nonetheless. Faye Dunaway detests it, which is a shame as her performance isn't a bad one.

There are tons of quotable lines - aside from the infamous 'No wire hangers!' there's 'I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the dirt!', 'don't f### with me boys, this ain't my first time at the rodeo' and of course.....'I am NOT ONE OF YOUR FAAAANS!!!!'
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never looked at wire hangers in the same way ever again...
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a camp classic.

Quite a bad film but endlessly enjoyable nonetheless. Faye Dunaway detests it, which is a shame as her performance isn't a bad one.

There are tons of quotable lines - aside from the infamous 'No wire hangers!' there's 'I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the dirt!', 'don't f### with me boys, this ain't my first time at the rodeo' and of course.....'I am NOT ONE OF YOUR FAAAANS!!!!'

"TINAAAA!!! Bring me the axe."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha yeah i get Its a classic regardless of how good it Was .....
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's something ironic about this film. Joan Crawford once said in an interview that Faye Dunaway was the only actress she deemed to be good enough and Dunaway is playing the role of Crawford in this movie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the film years ago, but remember little about it. Somewhere I've got the book written by the adopted daughter Christina. I'll have to get it out to refresh my memory.

Personally I preferred Bette Davis. She never minded playing an older role, and was brilliant in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? I also liked Katherine Hepburn. Great in The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart.
  • Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I never looked at wire hangers in the same way ever again...

Me either!:D
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A film based on the book "Bette & Joan:The Divine Feud" would be interesting.

I'm sure plenty of big names would be up for it, especially considering that playing a real life person = possible Oscar nominations:D

(If the film is better than the likes of Mommie Dearest, of course!)