Underrated Bands of the Eighties

owen10owen10 Posts: 126,958
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I have to say Curiousity Killed the cat are very underrated They were big in the late eighties but are forgotten about

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killing Joke
  • Poplife04Poplife04 Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Samantha Fox is woefully written off, yes she started out as a glamour model, but she's proud of the fact it started her career, if people look past 'Touch Me' and delve deeper into her catalogue, there's tracks such as 'Out Of Our Hands' and 'Even In The Darkest Hours', she's all but forgotten and when she is remembered, it's negative!
    Forum Member
    Whoops just saw it said Bands, sorry!
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poplife04 wrote: »
    Whoops just saw it said Bands, sorry!

No need to be sorry, she had a killer set of drums back in the day, so could easily be part of a band. :D
    Forum Member
    No need to be sorry, she had a killer set of drums back in the day, so could easily be part of a band. :D

:p:p:p:p
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Psychedelic Furs
    The Associates
    China Crisis
    Orange Juice
    Thompson Twins
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Church.

Never heard of them before I heard 'Under the Milky Way' on the Donnie Darko sound track.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Talk. Totally brilliant yet so underrated. Also Propaganda and Bucks Fizz. With Bucks Fizz people these days only ever go on about their cheesy Eurovision song but they developed into a really good vocal group with a long string of excellent and very varied singles that were as far removed from Making Your Mind Up as was possible!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frazier Chorus
    The Time
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Altered Images
    The Comsat Angels
    The Sugarcubes
    The Birthday Party
    Bauhaus
    Anvil
    Strawberry Switchblade
    The Wedding Present
  • laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Virtually forgotten now but I really liked a group called The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy. I must Google them now to see what became of them.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japan.

Scorned by the press for their glam image and pretensions, but made some truly individual and pioneering records when it would have been so tempting to go downmarket for the teeny-bopper dollar!

*cough*duran*cough* :)
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure that people use underrated in the context of appreciation by audience or critics of the time; possibly it's more a case of 'not discussed so much by Digital Spy users in 2015.

So, I'm going to go with exactly the same list I added to the 'Best bands of the eighties' thread as I think they are all excellent but rarely mentioned here:

Trouble Funk
    Cameo
    Mtume
    New York Skyy
    S.O.S Band

Roots Radics

Public Enemy

Dead Kennedys
    Firehose
    Dinosaur Jr.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also The B-52's.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Talk Talk. Totally brilliant yet so underrated. Also Propaganda and Bucks Fizz. With Bucks Fizz people these days only ever go on about their cheesy Eurovision song but they developed into a really good vocal group with a long string of excellent and very varied singles that were as far removed from Making Your Mind Up as was possible!

fully agree! :)

id add the adventures too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yBWf0rcddo
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men Without Hats
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It Bites

One hit wonders (Calling All The Heroes) maybe but I urge anyone who likes a bit of 80s style Pop/Prog/Metal to check out their album 'Once Around The World'
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Culture Club. Colour by Numbers is a classic album that still sounds great today. And the key word here is band. Most people see CC as just Boy George, but the other members were great musicians and contributed a lot to the songwriting, but have been mostly forgotten and written out of history.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wang Chung
    The Christians
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones that come to mind are Felt, McCarthy, Heavenly, Beat Happening and The Gun Club
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Orange Juice

Oh yes!
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Echo and the Bunnymen, first time I heard them was about 3yrs ago, then again I did not exist in the 80s :P

I agree with some of the bands already mentioned:
    The Church,The Psychedelic Furs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The mighty whah and then jerihco.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they were more 70's but Split Enz released several albums in the 80's too but throughout their whole career they were virtually ignored in this country, bar one or two singles! They were a brilliantly inventive, off-the-wall and original band.