Upsetting Kat spoiler - EastEnders

Comments

• sammie1millionsammie1million Posts: 9,970
    Forum Member
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    You will delight in someone thinking their baby is dead:eek: you are absolutely awful:eek: I hope you never have to go through the death of a baby. I'm shocked:eek:
    No-one's saying Kat and Alfie are wonderful but since when does that mean they deserve this?! Kat's been a great mum to Zoe since she's had the chance to so I think your comments are really just plain silly. You only have like 8 posts I'm wondering if you're a troll?

Yep just checked his other posts. Blates a troll:rolleyes:
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm disgusted by this storyline. Not only is it amazingly unrealistic (worked in a hosptial for 15 years and every child death has an autopsy with blood taken, they'd know it wasn't Kats baby within 2 days), but having someone steal someone elses baby is straight out of american TV. Shocking from the BBC.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin O' Sullivan was talking about it on Twitter last night as well.

I've nothing against them doing a cot death storyline, after all it does happen sadly, but I find this baby swap thing ridiculous and sensationalist. Why can't they let Ronnie be happy for once? How much rubbish can you put one person through before they end up topping themselves?

I don't see how the character of Ronnie can ever recover from doing something like this? She'll have to be written out, surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

He's another one of those fleet street journo's who hates EE, here are some of his tweets;

"EastEnders is rubbish at the moment. A mass of dreary storylines. Corrie's walking all over it."
    "Corrie. Followed by Emmerdale. EastEnders was the worst."

I'd rather listen to the opinion of someone neutral.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    He's another one of those fleet street journo's who hates EE, here are some of his tweets;

"EastEnders is rubbish at the moment. A mass of dreary storylines. Corrie's walking all over it."
    "Corrie. Followed by Emmerdale. EastEnders was the worst."

I'd rather listen to the opinion of someone neutral.

To be fair he's only saying what a lot of people on here have been saying recently regarding the state of Eastenders. He was quite negative about the Corrie tram crash the other week as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I love EE but I don't think I will be able to watch this :(
  • ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    I think its fantastic. This is pure kitchen sink drama that makes you feel you're part of it. That is a sign its brilliant. While the likes of Susan Hill and Sharon Marshall have all said its harrowing they have also made a point of saying how fantastic it is at the same time.

If a drama doesn't envoke a reaction out of you then it hasn't been a success. If however it does then it has been. Simples.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they not do something similar when Bianca had her daughter Natasha it was alluded to can't remember if we saw the baby itself but it was quite distressing at the time.
  • ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Did they not do something similar when Bianca had her daughter Natasha it was alluded to can't remember if we saw the baby itself but it was quite distressing at the time.

Yes she sat and held the baby and it was only about 5 months into the pregnancy so was really tiny. I remember how amazing Sid Owen was in that scene because Ricky had to leave the room to go and cry on his own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Kat can tell it's not hers. I assume the nurses etc. will convince her that it's just the grief. This is going to be probably one of EE's saddest storylines, but I still think it's going to be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Kat says the baby isnt hers then why doesnt she do a dna on the baby? Its quite simple to do i've heard. Obviously they will put it down to grief, but i thought they both had their babies on christmas day and the death happens on new years eve? so that gives the whole familes of both Kat and Ronnie 6 days to hold and bond with the babies, surely Kat wont be the only one who will know the baby isnt her! Even down to the clothes the baby would be in. It just doesnt seem believable that no one else would notice! If she was adamant that the baby wasnt hers im sure Alfie would listen to her and agree for tests to be done. But then again thats too obvious and the storyline wouldnt drag for months and months :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oo_la_la wrote: »
    If Kat says the baby isnt hers then why doesnt she do a dna on the baby? Its quite simple to do i've heard. Obviously they will put it down to grief, but i thought they both had their babies on christmas day and the death happens on new years eve? so that gives the whole familes of both Kat and Ronnie 6 days to hold and bond with the babies, surely Kat wont be the only one who will know the baby isnt her! Even down to the clothes the baby would be in. It just doesnt seem believable that no one else would notice! If she was adamant that the baby wasnt hers im sure Alfie would listen to her and agree for tests to be done. But then again thats too obvious and the storyline wouldnt drag for months and months :rolleyes:

They have the babies the day before new years eve I think so have less than 24 hours with it and I don't think kat and alfie see it much because kat's ill in hospital. Not sure how they will get round her dropping the fact she says it's not hers though
  • ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kevin O'Sullivan just complains for the sake of complaining. A good critic points out valid critiques and explains them. Kev just rants and tries to play devil's advocate. Unsuccessfully I might add.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders continuing to try and be as shocking as possible.

Sometimes less is more.

And I don't believe for a minute the producer is doing this to explore and raise awareness about the issue of cot death. It's all about being as sensationalist as possible.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    i'm disgusted by this storyline. Not only is it amazingly unrealistic (worked in a hosptial for 15 years and every child death has an autopsy with blood taken, they'd know it wasn't Kats baby within 2 days), but having someone steal someone elses baby is straight out of american TV. Shocking from the BBC.

Not necessarily it isn't. Cases where a baby has been stolen in the UK are rare but they do and have happened, probably more often than we realise and there does seem to be a theme where the woman has either lost a baby of her own or is unable to have one.

I do believe that such cases are the result of mental illness more than wickedness.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,888
    Forum Member
    I've no doubt all cast members concerned will do a fantastic job with the storyline, but I can't help thinking whether it's a step too far. It's no so much the death of the baby, but the whole swap thing then slapped on top of it feels like they are just wanting to make it a shocking ratings grabber for the sake of viewing figures. I'd much rather have just seen a sensitively handled storyline about a child death without the added 'shock value' of someone then swapping the children over, it could have been just as good in my opinion.

I also think they've gone too far with Ronnie now, how much more heartache is she going to have to endure? It's too much for one character all the time. No doubt we'll have something along the lines of the baby needing a blood transfusion or something which requires a parent to donate blood etc meaning Ronnie will then be faced with the dilemma of keep quiet and have another child die or confess and lose the child anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the HO ep when Jacqui and Tony lost their baby through MC, it was a very emotional moment, but we saw nothing, heard nothing, just music (Teardrop - Massive Attack). The scene was them in the hospital room being told and their heads dropping, you could use your imagination as to what they were being told.

BK produced that. I am not sure what the need is for such graphic details such as Kat holding the baby and seeing its wee fist, other than the need for us to know that she knows from the get go that the baby is not hers!

What I don't understand is won't she be able to tell Ronnies little boy is infact her own, if she is that sure that the baby in the hospital is not hers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    I remember the HO ep when Jacqui and Tony lost their baby through MC, it was a very emotional moment, but we saw nothing, heard nothing, just music (Teardrop - Massive Attack). The scene was them in the hospital room being told and their heads dropping, you could use your imagination as to what they were being told.

BK produced that. I am not sure what the need is for such graphic details such as Kat holding the baby and seeing its wee fist, other than the need for us to know that she knows from the get go that the baby is not hers!

What I don't understand is won't she be able to tell Ronnies little boy is infact her own, if she is that sure that the baby in the hospital is not hers.

This is an interesting point, maybe Kat herself is at first convinced by everyone that she is just grief stricken and that it was her baby who died, I don't think it would occur to her that Ronnie had taken her baby, I am assuming that no one sees Ronnie go into the Vic at all, and presumably Kat won't spend much time around Ronnie and her baby especially in the early days.

But later, as the weeks and months go by, I wonder if Kat will 'recognise' Ronnie's baby as her own? even just by feeling particularly drawn to the baby? which of course would be put down to her anguish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    This is an interesting point, maybe Kat herself is at first convinced by everyone that she is just grief stricken and that it was her baby who died, I don't think it would occur to her that Ronnie had taken her baby, I am assuming that no one sees Ronnie go into the Vic at all, and presumably Kat won't spend much time around Ronnie and her baby especially in the early days.

But later, as the weeks and months go by, I wonder if Kat will 'recognise' Ronnie's baby as her own? even just by feeling particularly drawn to the baby? which of course would be put down to her anguish.

Yes I think this will happen, she will become convinced that Ronnies baby is hers and everyone will think its grief talking and try and get her to let it go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Kat gets killed by Pat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »

eh???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

not a fan then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is next years Christmas storyline: Fat Pat Kills Kat :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like it is going to be very graphic and it will be a difficult watch. :(

Kudos to EE for tackling such intense, gritty storylines and I am sure all actors involved will do a great job but it seems BK is pushing it too far?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    That is next years Christmas storyline: Fat Pat Kills Kat :D

While she's wearing a hat