Options

"You came out..."

Len has always said this, but now Bruno and Alesha are saying it as well. It's really starting to annoy me!

I also hate platitudes like " You gave it your all". They are really saying "Your technique was crap, but at least you managed not to fall over."

Comments

• Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember who it was, but one person tonight was told "You TRIED, dear" "You gave it your all" "You came out and had a good go" "What counts is that YOU GOT THROUGH IT!" about five times. It came across as incredibly patronising and if it was me I'd be feeling quite humiliated.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iremember someone saying on ITT last year when Len says that you know that couple are in trouble.

It doesn't seem to be very helpful, if I was the celeb I'd be thinking 'yeah I know that, now tell me how I can improve'.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I can't remember who it was, but one person tonight was told "You TRIED, dear" "You gave it your all" "You came out and had a good go" "What counts is that YOU GOT THROUGH IT!" about five times. It came across as incredibly patronising and if it was me I'd be feeling quite humiliated.

Alesha about Jo
  • Options
    giraffe77giraffe77 Posts: 165
    Forum Member

I think it was Craig who was told this - I personally think he was better than they gave him credit for. I know he wasn't great, but he wasn't diabolical - and that's usually what the dance is if the 'you gave it welly' line comes out!
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len has said this far more than any of the others so far this series and in fact I was a bit gob smacked tonight when he said words to the effect that at this stage of the competition getting through the routine was about the limit of his expectations! What???:confused:
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of that irritating phrase when they've got noting else to say about a poor performance.

EVery competitor has to come out and give it a go. Its a total nonsense statement and I hope someone tells them to stop saying it.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, I really think there's a place for the "You really tried" and "you really gave it welly" lines. Ricky last week and Natalie this week came out - they weren't close to technically perfect, but they really performed, they really threw themselves head first into it and gave it their absolute all, and that came across in their performance. THAT is the place to use comments like that.

They shouldn't be used as a sort of patronising platitude to be left in the place of any real comment or criticism. It annoys me when those comments are used simply because they have nothing else to say but they want to be nice.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time one of them says a contestant "tried", it brings Dancing on Ice's Coleen Nolan horror back to mind. :eek: :(

As if the better dancers don't try.
  • Options
    BelgoLiftBelgoLift Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, thanks for this thread! 'I commend you for giving it a go' is one of the worst things I have heard as comment. It is not even constructive, just condescending!
  • Options
    miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You came out is a favourite "love to hate" thing in our house and everytime Len says it we all repeat with a cockney accent ! It is grating a bit now though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Alisha's new catchphrase is ' I commend you .....' which is just another way of saying you were no good, but you tried and didn't fall over!!
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    Please don't take this as bashing Alesha because I thought she was quite good this week-end but, I too am finding the "I commend you" a little irksome as well. :o
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Dont you think the celebs would rather hear those words than the words Craig said to Jo ? .... must have been really deflating to hear after working so hard.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This "you got through the routine" business is rubbish, anyone would get through their routines it doesnt mean anything. It also annoys me that the first dancers get a lot of critique but by the end because they run out of time the last dancers only get a few words and Craig usually gets cut short.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    This "you got through the routine" business is rubbish, anyone would get through their routines it doesnt mean anything. It also annoys me that the first dancers get a lot of critique but by the end because they run out of time the last dancers only get a few words and Craig usually gets cut short.

Erm Matt didn`t a few years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaaargh! I hate it when they, usually Len, say "you came out". I see somebody has also started a thread about the audience clapping along to the music. Drives me mad.
    Love the show though and I guess I'll have to put up with it.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did they also start their "critique" with "You know, what I love about you......"? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, I really think there's a place for the "You really tried" and "you really gave it welly" lines. Ricky last week and Natalie this week came out - they weren't close to technically perfect, but they really performed, they really threw themselves head first into it and gave it their absolute all, and that came across in their performance. THAT is the place to use comments like that.

They shouldn't be used as a sort of patronising platitude to be left in the place of any real comment or criticism. It annoys me when those comments are used simply because they have nothing else to say but they want to be nice.

I agree and I don't really understand why Len of all people can't come up with something better, especially this series when the standard doesn't really warrant that type of comment.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they also start their "critique" with "You know, what I love about you......"? :rolleyes:

Double whammy: "You know what I love about you, you came out..."

:D:D:D

Yeah, it's starting to grate on me as well...:o
  • Options
    cattcatt Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is related to my thread about scoring
    the judges not using 1,2 3 when the dance is crap!
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You came out....
    Yes, of course they did.
    If they'd stayed backstage, Len wouldn't have seen them.

Sloppy.