Options

Flight

2»

Comments

• Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Loved this film, Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors and thought he was superb in this.

The scene where
    he finally admitted he was an alcoholic at the hearing, was a very moving moment and brilliantly portrayed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    So all in all a bit of mixed reviews all round then? So does anyone agree with this review from the Guardian, as they are usually quite critical, and also I agree with them alot most of the time lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAbfzjtG4M8#
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hopefully going to see this tomorrow, assuming that it is still on, I can only find today's listings online & I know that cinema schedules run from Friday to Thursday.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I'm hopefully going to see this tomorrow, assuming that it is still on, I can only find today's listings online & I know that cinema schedules run from Friday to Thursday.
    Just type Flight and your location...results should show your nearest Cinema showing it.:cool:
    Most have their listings up at the start of the week, for the weekend too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I saw it & it was a good film - but I must admit that it was not what I was expecting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flight was one of my favourite films is absolutely ages. I thought that that they got so much of it right (apart from the john goodman character) and was gripped the whole way through. Surprised that it has resulted in a mixed response, but maybe that due to people expecting a typical Denzil blockbuster rather than this character piece.

I was expecting more of a thriller with intrigue as to what happened to the plane & possible sinister things going on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised at the lukewarm reception in this thread. It's been very well received by critics (78% on rotten tomatoes) and I would have to agree with them. I saw it on Tuesday having not seen the trailer so perhaps going in with an open mind helped, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was a better film than Unstoppable which I also liked and the ending was great, they could have gone either way with it at that point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Just been to see this, the beginning was so tense and had me holding my breath. I thought Denzel was so good in it, played a blinder of a character but the ending just left me a bit ''meh'
    I don't know why and how else I wanted it to end but I just felt really underwhelmed
  • Options
    dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who you gonna call.....call Goodman. The getting him fit for the hearing scene was just so ridiculous it was cringe worthy. The love interest bit was just not believable, Denzel reminds me of Pacino where they just play themselves now with a little added mania.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I thought 80% of the movie sucked and 20% was brilliant. Mostly the ending was the best bit and the plane crash.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flight is an excellent film & Denzel Washington was brilliant.

My only gripe is the title, which I feel is somewhat misleading, as it should have been called
    Alcohol.:D

The Flight bit was incidental; he could have had any responsible job where he other people's lives were in his hands & his personal issues would still have been the dominant feature of the film.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Really, really want to see this. Always been a fan of Denzel Washington and on the relatively rare occasion that he picks a great part, he's amazing. I'm seeing Django Unchained this weekend but will hopefully squeeze this one in the week after.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    i saw it on monday and enjoyed it, which i wasnt expecting to after the ridiculous opening 20 odd minutes in which i was close to walking out.

however the part where he was questioned in the end and admitted what he admitted had me in tears. if anyone knows any alcoholics themselves they'll probably also find parts of this movie emotional.

good movie, but i probably wouldnt watch it again.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was really good ... until the ending which seemed very cliched to me .

but the rest of it was great , a proper grown-up movie , rather like some of those Sidney Lumet ones which we don't see anymore .

the acting was top notch , one of Denzel's best in ages .