Options

A Thread For Anyone, Any Gigs, and A More General Discussion of Everything (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PR system is where you don't vote for just one candidate but you vote for several in order of preference. It's really annoying. They use it in college as well for the students union elections. It takes bloody ages to count though, unlike First Past The Post. They're still counting votes here in Ireland and the results from my constituency haven't yet come out. Didn't Nick Clegg want the PR system for the UK as well?

It may be annoying but PR is more democratic than FPTP.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey mimi and how's things :).

And Pr does sound like a system whether or not the Uk changes to I is probably unlikely.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Evening guys!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm good thanks Hav, you?

I'm watching "Bend It Like Beckham" at the moment. I love this film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too bad thanks Mimi :).

It was on on Saturday I watched a bit never watched it all though enjoyed what I saw. I love the director Gurinda Chada she has done some great films like Angus, Thongs and Perfect snogging :).

How's you CNBC :)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm ok. I'm just messing around online and waiting for Pixie Lott on the Paul O'Grady Show. I was supposed to do some part time work in a solicitor's office but I was turned down because the guy I was supposed to work for is full. His kids are working there as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch her was unimpressed with her latest single and her last album was a bit meh. And nice to see Nepotism at work just be safe in the knowledge any success you have was of your own making ;). There'll be other opportunities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just watched it. I thought she was pretty good. What do you mean? :p It's not my fault he couldn't take me on. He was supposed to but he didn't expect his kids to go in and work there. I guess they want to support the family business as that's what puts food on the table. Oh well :p If I get into the Masters then that'll be my job for next year. Dad thinks if I do well in the Masters I could end up doing a PhD and he thinks he can guess who my supervisor for that would be ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not too bad but I dunno after Turn It Up she just became predictable and a bit bland :p.

And well keep it in the family rather than give an outsider the opportunity. I can see why but I think it is unfair especially as they had a previous arrangement with you. And will it be L.A. I would love to do a PHD being a Doctor would be epic :p Are you planning on becoming a lawyer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her first album (and the 2010 re-release, which is the version I have) is really good but I thought her second album was pretty crap. I hope the new one is good. I've already pre-ordered it.

Well no formal contract was signed, it was just a casual arrangement. A couple of months ago dad was talking to him (the solicitor in question is a friend of dad's who did some legal stuff for us in the past) and he said to send me in sometime during the summer. Anyway I'm going back to college on June 16th for a disability law summer school which is on for a whole week :cool: It's likely and I wouldn't be too surprised if it was. I can't imagine spending three years working with her though :o How many chargers will break? I wouldn't be a medical doctor, I'd be a doctor of law :D Well I was hoping to become a solicitor but I could end up becoming a lecturer yet :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had that too and only enjoyed say half of It was going to get the second but my card wouldn't go through and gave up :D

And Still it is nepotism giving his family the opportunity. It would have been so good for you real job experience and in your field of study :). and haha you may even get the wand :p. And Lecture solicitor I say go where the money is :p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah right. How come your card wouldn't go through? Do I detect something sinister? :p

That's true, but it was only a casual arrangement all along. I didn't have a formal employment contract and I thought contracts were necessary. Maybe I should ask a certain Labour Law lecturer I know ;-) I might finally have the chance to snoop through her office to find it :D I seem to spend half my life up in that office but I hate going up there. Going up to L.A.'s office is like voting for the BNP :p It's something you don't want to do but you end up doing it anyway. The money is in either of those jobs I guess :D L.A. is a qualified solicitor as well. It says so on her profile on the college website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No just lack of funds. coinage was low :p

And I know but still. Next time get it in righting and demand they give you the job. Think of the funds ;p And Well talking of the BNP they did not do too well in the EU elctions shame about UKIP though :p. And I though solicitors got good pay. could always move to London Apple and serious earnings :D. And ooh she is V qualified is L.A.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's where Quickquid can be useful but woe betide you if you don't pay it back :o Have to keep those kneecaps where nature intended them to be!

That might be the thing to do. I know a bit about employment contracts, thanks to L.A. :p She can be useful when she wants to be. The BNP didn't get a single seat but I was delighted :D I don't like them. What I really think of them is too explicit to post on here. They do. Not sure about trainee ones but practicing ones get paid a lot. It's still no harm for the guy's kids to support the business and help put food on the table and pay the bills and all that stuff. She is indeed :D She's got a law degree, a Masters, another degree from Oxford and a PhD. She's also a qualified solicitor :cool: I think I sent you a link to her profile before :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    She's not too bad but I dunno after Turn It Up she just became predictable and a bit bland :p.

And well keep it in the family rather than give an outsider the opportunity. I can see why but I think it is unfair especially as they had a previous arrangement with you. And will it be L.A. I would love to do a PHD being a Doctor would be epic :p Are you planning on becoming a lawyer?

I do agree. I really liked Turn it Up :) since then it has been a bit meh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all :).

And yeah she does seem to be a one album wonder Mimi. Though did like What Do You Take Me For feel it should have done better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How's you CNBc :)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waiting in a nail bar to get my eyebrows waxed for this wedding that I'm going to on Thursday.

I'm so hungry. The temptation to go into McDonalds afterwards is bad. I think that I'm just going to have soya coffee instead.

That's the problem with the debut album though. Often artists spend so long on it that they struggle to follow it up with a great second album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went into town finally got my hands on Sheezus :).

Did you give into temptation Mimi or did you swerve Maccy d's :p

And so true an artists debut can be 16 odd years in the making from when they were dreaming and planning that their second ultimately falls short.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon! Everything's ok here, weather i s nice and I've been out the back working in the garden a lot :D Mum said this morning she was disappointed that I was turned down for work but yet she was relieved about it yesterday. Oh well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evening.

Watching a couple of Gossip Girl episodes whilst waiting for dinner. I'm starving!
    Went into town finally got my hands on Sheezus :).

Did you give into temptation Mimi or did you swerve Maccy d's :p

And so true an artists debut can be 16 odd years in the making from when they were dreaming and planning that their second ultimately falls short.

I gave Sheezus a listen on Spotify and I really didn't like it sadly. I liked Lily's first two albums but I'm not at all keen on the new effort.

No I didn't. :) I came home and had some chicken soup.

Agreed r.e albums. Artists can be writing for years before they put a first album together so they are likely to have far more material to draw on. Plus there seems to be less pressure for it to do well as there are fewer deadlines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like there is a subtle shift in to darker tones that weave through album with some nice upbeat moments and sits nicely alongside her others. And reading the thank you's the album is dedicated to Amy Winehouse which was a nice surprise.

And I had beans on toast for lunch at starving jacks not quite as healthy :p

Exactly the second album if the first did well has so much pressure on it and it takes a real talent to not get overwhelmed and produce the results a second time round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is everyone up to? I was just out the back working in the garden :p Lovely sunny day here! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really like there is a subtle shift in to darker tones that weave through album with some nice upbeat moments and sits nicely alongside her others. And reading the thank you's the album is dedicated to Amy Winehouse which was a nice surprise.

And I had beans on toast for lunch at starving jacks not quite as healthy :p

Exactly the second album if the first did well has so much pressure on it and it takes a real talent to not get overwhelmed and produce the results a second time round.

Aww that's nice. They were friends, weren't they? :)