Options

No Foreigners Here - 100% British

cas116cas116 Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else been watching this? I'm really enjoying it.
I like that it's just a look at normal families going about their normal daily lives.
I'm familiar with all the areas featured so that probably adds to my interest, but it's also interesting to see some aspects of the religious events such Ramadan that you don't generally see, like the brother and sister in last night show who have one of their busiest days in their fabric shop during Ramadan and how they think about food all the time!

Comments

• Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the Jewish copper but was surprised to learn that similar to Muslims,orthodox Jews aren't allowed to talk to women.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I liked the Jewish copper but was surprised to learn that similar to Muslims,orthodox Jews aren't allowed to talk to women.

It's this kind of belief that really doesn't have any place in British life and whilst a minority holding this view isn't a problem, I dread to think what might happen if that viewpoint became more common - it would send equality back to the dark ages.

It's good to see that many Muslims, Hindus and Jews fit in well into British life - those who mix the two cultures into their life ( I see Muslims walking alongside their non-Muslim friends where I live in Derby ) - but there are plenty of others who really aren't British, no matter how you dress it up.
  • Options
    icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    The people shown in this series are as British as the expat British population in Spain are Spanish, not! Thanks Channel 5 for further reminding the British people that things need to change.

Changing the definition of any nationality to mean basically anything doesn't wash.

With 500,000 people coming into Britain from abroad every single year - the equivalent of 6 large towns worth of people .... every single year - the British have very good reason to be concerned. If you believe that the British are not allowed to be concerned at all about this staggeringly high number of newcomers - a figure which doesn't even include illegals or the number of additional births from newcomers who arrived over the last thirty years, then you are almost certainly a liberal fascist with problems.
  • Options
    ThaddeusGriffinThaddeusGriffin Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I agree that immigration and over-population are a concern, I'm going to point out a couple of things:
    With 500,000 people coming into Britain from abroad every single year - the equivalent of 6 large towns worth of people .... every single year - the British have very good reason to be concerned.
    What you neglect to mention is the fact that 320,000 LEFT last year, and 349,000 the year before. Yes, it is still a large net increase (approx 200k), but it doesn't help your argument to only quote half a statistic.
    liberal fascist
    This is an oxymoron. Facist ideologies are anti-liberal in their nature.