My foolish mother keeps bread in the fridge

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
โœญโœญ
Told her it goes stale about 6 times as fast due to faster dehydration.

She is confusing staleness with bread gone moldy. Bread is not meant to have a long shelf life so it would be stale before it goes moldy anyway.
ยซ13

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    At 20, you know so much more than her, and I bet you're right every time. Show how brilliant you are by buying your own bread, or even better, leaving home and fending for yourself like millions of others do. Then you can put your bread wherever you like.
  • tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญ
    Told her it goes stale about 6 times as fast due to faster dehydration.

She is confusing staleness with bread gone moldy. Bread is not meant to have a long shelf life so it would be stale before it goes moldy anyway.

Yes you are right, bread should never be put in the fridge, keeps loads better at room temperature
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญ
    Her bread, her fridge, her preference.
    You don't need to call your Mum "foolish"in the title.
    That's disrespectful.
    She should kick your arse.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญโœญ
    The wife's various family members all keep tomato ketchup in the fridge, but store cans of fizzy juice out of the fridge to be drank at room temperature.

There's nowt queer as folk.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    At 20, you know so much more than her, and I bet you're right every time. Show how brilliant you are by buying your own bread, or even better, leaving home and fending for yourself like millions of others do. Then you can put your bread wherever you like.

This site really does need thumb up and down buttons to vote for each post :-)
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญ
    This site really does need thumb up and down buttons to vote for each post :-)
    As in "Let them live or die"?
    ๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญ
    put it in the freezer, and bread lasts a long time

I would therefore have thought the fridge also keeps it longer, although we don't do that.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    A former friend of my mum's once put a jar of Nutella in the fridge when she was staying at our house and I flipped when I found out as it had gone all hard. You're not supposed to keep it in the fridge.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญโœญ
    A former friend of my mum's once put a jar of Nutella in the fridge when she was staying at our house and I flipped when I found out as it had gone all hard. You're not supposed to keep it in the fridge.

It comes to room temp quite quick though, and if you are cooking with it it's better from the fridge I find.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญโœญ
    Her bread, her fridge, her preference.
    You don't need to call your Mum "foolish"in the title.
    That's disrespectful.
    She should kick your arse.

Shouldn't the thread of this post be 'What do you think of Mothers who put bread in the fridge'?

Does she buy it from Sainsburys?
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญ
    You "flipped over Nutella gone hard?? :o
    Forum Member
    โœญ

Here's the footage!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    โœญ

Well that was only part of the reason I flipped. I think I flipped more because she had been tidying up without permission and she was only a guest! On a more serious note, she stole several things from the house as well >:( Never got back what she stole.
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญ
    Bread- in fridge
    Ketchup- out fridge
    Jam- out fridge
    Marmalade- in fridge
    Peanut butter- out fridge
    Salad cream- in fridge
    HP brown- out fridge
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    The wife's various family members all keep tomato ketchup in the fridge, but store cans of fizzy juice out of the fridge to be drank at room temperature.

There's nowt queer as folk.

Tomato ketchup should be kept in the fridge once opened, it even says so on the bottle.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญโœญ

:D This deserves a thumbs up
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    What about margarine? It says in the fridge but I leave it out without problems unless it's a really hot day and you get this liquid oily substance pooling in the centre. My auntie says fridge it and so does the carton.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    CSJB wrote: ยป
    Tomato ketchup should be kept in the fridge once opened, it even says so on the bottle.

Yup. Same for nearly all table sauces.

Cupboard stored sauces are a major cause of food poisoning.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    People keep all sorts in the fridge that I never do e.g bread, eggs, jam, ketchup, chutney, pickles etc.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญโœญ

This gets ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ from me
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    Yup. Same for nearly all table sauces.

Cupboard stored sauces are a major cause of food poisoning.

I've never put table sauces in the fridge and never had food poisoning.
    Probably immuned myself!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    This is like Kryten, Kochanski and the Cottage Cheese all over again.....or is that still to come?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    โœญโœญโœญ
    People keep all sorts in the fridge that I never do e.g bread, eggs, jam, ketchup, chutney, pickles etc.

Yes the pickles and jam etc always puzzle me because they are pickled and jammed to make them store for a long time. Not things years ago anyone put in the fridge. And pre common usage of fridges no one worried about eating all sorts of things we are now told to refrigerate :confused:
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    What about margarine? It says in the fridge but I leave it out without problems unless it's a really hot day and you get this liquid oily substance pooling in the centre. My auntie says fridge it and so does the carton.

The problem with margarine is that if left at room temperature for too long, it becomes highly explosive, and can detonate with just a sharp impact from the butter knife.

Always keep it in the fridge.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    โœญ
    I keep ALL my opened sauces, relishes, jams, peanut butter and jarred goods in the fridge - most of them tell you on the label to store them in there once they're opened.

And I keep all of my bread in the freezer.

If I want to use any of them, I'll get them out a short time and leave them at room temperature before I need them. If I need bread fast I'll defrost it in the micro or toast it.