Options

Why do whales swim onto beaches and just lie there while the tide goes out?

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
Are they deliberately trying to die? Having a sunbathe? Trying to catch the lovely views of Redcar? Just plain stupid?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They're suicidal
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Sometimes they know they're sick and are trying to kill themselves. But a lot of evidence is now suggesting they are becoming confused by booms from oil rigs which effectively blurs their guidance system in their brain and they end up beaching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Boredom?
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They're suicidal

Were they feeling blue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Sometimes they know they're sick and are trying to kill themselves. But a lot of evidence is now suggesting they are becoming confused by booms from oil rigs which effectively blurs their guidance system in their brain and they end up beaching.

I'm not sure on this it seems a trendy eco-charge to get at rigs. Whales have been beaching throughout history and there is no evidence they are doing it more now than they ever have before.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    Sometimes they know they're sick and are trying to kill themselves. But a lot of evidence is now suggesting they are becoming confused by booms from oil rigs which effectively blurs their guidance system in their brain and they end up beaching.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure on this it seems a trendy eco-charge to get at rigs. Whales have been beaching throughout history and there is no evidence they are doing it more now than they ever have before.

I agree, it's just one of the explanations out there.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    They saw Jo Brand swimming and jumped out of the sea due to fright.

They heard her speaking on the beach and thought it was a mating call.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Were they feeling blue?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that's how land mammals evolved in the first place. Some of them had to be first to get out of the water.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Yeah another one is naval sonar.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Maybe they've seen Britains Got Talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see the pointless attempts to keep the whale alive by 'keeping it wet'? In doing so the tree huggers will only have prolonged it's suffering. These cases never end well the kindest thing would have been to have it put down as soon as it was discovered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Are they deliberately trying to die? Having a sunbathe? Trying to catch the lovely views of Redcar? Just plain stupid?

If it was trying to catch the lovely views of Redcar then it was definitely stupid.

But seriously I went down to see it this morning before it died and I was amazed by it. So beautiful, and such a shame that it died in such a public way.

I've seen ridiculous comments on Facebook today about why it died, like people suggesting that it was because of people going down to look at it with dogs and it died of fright! Righto! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the pointless attempts to keep the whale alive by 'keeping it wet'? In doing so the tree huggers will only have prolonged it's suffering. These cases never end well the kindest thing would have been to have it put down as soon as it was discovered.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew it was going to die, it came in with the tide and would never have survived until the high tide, plus it shouldn't have been in the North Sea anyway apparently because there isn't the food for them there so it couldn't have been released out there.

However I think given the amount of publicity and the size of the crowds watching, they probably had to be seen to be "doing something".
  • Options
    foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're tired?