Photos on your Sky box

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    You're not criticising Sky are you Chenks :D

if you had read any of my post "properly" then you would have noticed that i never "stick up" for sky.
    Resonance wrote: »
    Even if the app let you disable certain features all your kids would have to do is change the settings back or uninstall and reinstall the app if the settings were pin protected.

not if proper app-level parental controls were included.
  • TestingTimesTestingTimes Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Already been posted,so removing
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    if you had read any of my post "properly" then you would have noticed that i never "stick up" for sky.

not if proper app-level parental controls were included.

But they wouldn't develop app level parental controls just for the handful of people who want it turned off. As others have said, if someone really wanted to annoy you while you are watching they could have just changed the channel and have been able to do that for ages.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    But they wouldn't develop app level parental controls just for the handful of people who want it turned off. As others have said, if someone really wanted to annoy you while you are watching they could have just changed the channel and have been able to do that for ages.

that makes it ok then! <missing roll eyes emoticon>
    people could also still throw bricks through your window if they really wanted to annoy.
  • Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    dazb wrote: »
    On my nexus 7 tablet it finds my sky box but still no photo icon for me tried reinstalling the sky app but nothing, My nexus 4 phone cant even find my sky box just keeps going round and round. I do have unblock-us app on there but wouldnt have thought that was the problem. Running 13p on sky box and version number 4f3106.

The camera icon shows up when connected to my box but not my Mum's. As far as I know they're on the same software but not 100% sure.
  • gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Good addition would be good if you get albums from a piccasa account like i can from my wd live.
  • iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Using my Galaxy tablet, when I click on the camera icon, I have two albums available to me "Camera" and "Pictures". In the gallery app on the tablet, I have several more albums which are not being picked up by the Sky+ app. Does anyone know if I can get the app to pick up these additional albums with a view to showing the pictures on my TV? Many thanks
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    iabw12 wrote: »
    Using my Galaxy tablet, when I click on the camera icon, I have two albums available to me "Camera" and "Pictures". In the gallery app on the tablet, I have several more albums which are not being picked up by the Sky+ app. Does anyone know if I can get the app to pick up these additional albums with a view to showing the pictures on my TV? Many thanks

Check to see if you have a default album option in Gallery, this is where you can manually select different albums.

You may find the albums not showing up via the Sky box are those not ticked, if that's the case try ticking them.
  • tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did not know about this until just now,tried it and it works fine for me,very nice. :)
    Mind you not sure it would have worked yesterday? as my Sky box seems to have been updated last night.
  • iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Hi there,
    Thanks for that, I have checked but there are no options seemingly available to me. Anyone have any other thoughts?
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some details from the Sky website that might help. Once I updated my Sky+HD box the camera icon etc showed up on my Sky+ App and it all works fine. Also it does show pics in 16:9 as my phone takes them and they show correctly on the TV. Nice little feature as I could already throw pics form my phone to TV but it was a bit clunky so this is much better.

View photos on your TV using the Sky+ app

With the Sky+ app you can view the photos stored on your mobile device using your TV. In order to use this feature you’ll need to have a compatible Sky+HD box, the latest software version and be on the same WiFi network as your Sky+HD box.

You can download or update the app through Google Play or the Apple App Store if you’re in the UK or the Republic of Ireland (iOS 5.0+ or Android 2.2+ required).

Once connected, a camera icon will appear in your Sky+ app navigation bar, this will only be displayed on the Homepage.

Check your Sky+HD box is compatible
    Your Sky+HD box is compatible if you have a version number beginning with 4F31. To find your box version number please follow these steps.

Press services on your Sky remote.
    Press the left/right arrow buttons to highlight Settings.
    Press the down arrow button to highlight Picture.
    Press the left/right arrow buttons to highlight System Details.
    Take a note the Version Number.
    If you have a compatible box but can’t use the photo viewing feature, you may need to update your Sky+HD box to the latest software using the instructions below.

Put your Sky+HD box into standby by pressing the power button on your Sky remote.
    Switch your Sky+HD box off at the mains.
    Press and hold the back up button on your Sky+HD box.
    Turn your Sky+HD box back on while keeping your finger pressed down on the back up button.
    When the four lights on the front of your Sky+HD box light up, release the back up button.
    A message will appear on your TV screen stating "updating system software".
    Wait until the Sky+HD box goes into standby (this can be up to 10 minutes).
    Once your Sky+HD box has entered standby mode, your Sky+HD box will be ready for you to turn on.
    Viewing a photo on your TV

Tap the camera icon in the navigation bar on your Sky+ app.
    If you’re using an Apple device you will be asked to allow the Sky+ app to access your photos, tap OK.
    Your photo albums will now be shown. All you need to do is select the album you want followed by the photo you would like to see on your TV.
    Viewing multiple photos in a slideshow

If you’d like to see a number of different photos on your TV you can tap the select button in the top right hand corner then select individual photos.
    Once your selection has been made tap View on TV to view only your selected images.
    More slideshow features

Once you have a selection of photos, there are a number of things you can do:

Rotate the image on screen by tapping the arrow icon at the bottom left.
    Tap the play icon to start a slideshow of your selected photos. If you haven’t made a selection of multiple photos then the play icon will begin a slide show of all the photos in your selected album.
    Please note

If you navigate back to another part of the app, close the app or use your Sky remote your photos will no longer be displayed on your TV.
    The sound from your TV will continue to play while you are viewing photos unless muted using the remote control.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there something you have to do to enable this feature? It didn't work on my old Orange cheap smartphone or my new Sony one either.

My Sky box is always connected to the internet.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't work on my smartphone, I'm guessing it's because the photo quality isn't good enough as the camera is a bit rubbish. It works fine on the ipad though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Sorry if I seem like I'm asking something obvious, but would a NON + Sky HD box be able to in any way support this photos feature? :confused:

I ask, because my sister has a non + Sky HD box in her bedroom, and I really think she would love this feature.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Theoretically yes, the non-recording (DRX595) Sky HD boxes could conceivably use this feature as it has nothing to do with the hard drive as far as I know.
    The necessary software isn't in place yet though to my knowledge, and I don't know whether it ever will be.
    :)
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I seem like I'm asking something obvious, but would a NON + Sky HD box be able to in any way support this photos feature? :confused:

I ask, because my sister has a non + Sky HD box in her bedroom, and I really think she would love this feature.

If her Sky Box has the following on her version number:

4F31

Then that means that it's compatible, more info:

http://help.sky.com/articles/get-started-with-sky-snapshots
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Works for me....

Galaxy S3, os 4.1.2. Sky BB, Sony TV, DRX890 with latest f/w.

Fun to send random pictures of family to TV when Granny is watching. Confuses her :-)
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    If her Sky Box has the following on her version number:

4F31

Then that means that it's compatible, more info:

http://help.sky.com/articles/get-started-with-sky-snapshots

That page clearly states you need a SKY+HD box, which a non recording box isn't.

I don't even know if the Sky+ app would connect to a DRX595, having no hard drive, and if it won't, then it certainly won't be able to send pictures.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i still cant get this damm thing to run on my nexus 7 tablet i have the latest software on my Sky box i have a drx890. I have recently updated to android 5.0 but before that i was not able to see the camera icon either. My tablet device is connected to the same network as my box so im at a complete loss. i have also tried reinstalling the sky+ app but now i have the problem where i open the sky app it crashes everytime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That page clearly states you need a SKY+HD box, which a non recording box isn't.

I don't even know if the Sky+ app would connect to a DRX595, having no hard drive, and if it won't, then it certainly won't be able to send pictures.

Has the DRX595 got the number that I mentioned in the earlier post?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Well i still cant get this damm thing to run on my nexus 7 tablet i have the latest software on my Sky box i have a drx890. I have recently updated to android 5.0 but before that i was not able to see the camera icon either. My tablet device is connected to the same network as my box so im at a complete loss. i have also tried reinstalling the sky+ app but now i have the problem where i open the sky app it crashes everytime.

Have you tried contacting Sky?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Has the DRX595 got the number that I mentioned in the earlier post?
    No, only the Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895 boxes are version 4F31.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried contacting Sky?

Does the link you supplied mention the model the OP was specifically asking about, IE. a non recording box!

A specific question was asked about a non recording box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    No, only the Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895 boxes are version 4F31.

Then that means that the box is not compatible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the link you supplied mention the model the OP was specifically asking about, IE. a non recording box!

A specific question was asked about a non recording box.

No it doesn't. As I've already explained if the box has not got the number that I have mentioned then it's not compatible.

Just out of curiosity, why does OP only want a non recording box?

A recording box beats having a non recording box anyday.