Mrs Brown's Boys

Comments

• CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fawlty towers is dated though. why would anyone expect a comedy from the 70s to remain timeless?

I am always bemused when people moan about a film or TV show being dated, unless it has aged abnormally badly for something of its time.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think my gripe with Father Ted is it hasnt been off the air since they stopped filming so I can't look at it now and say "aww look - simpler times" plus the jokes in it are hideously over done but not in an obvious way like Mrs Brown.
    In another ten years I'll probably love Father Ted again but now its just painful to watch so I don't.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mrs Brown's Boys. Yet it is overrated.
    Its revered because the majority of recent comedy has been awful and unfunny.
    Something that some people are desperate to latch onto.

Citizen Khan,Rev, The Job Lot and Vicious have had their moments.
    The occasional series on BBC3 as well. The rest utter tripe.

My big gripe is the over use of similar jokes and recycling for the Live DVD's and from the RTE specials that were released in a box set.

As for Father Ted, a classic but if I turn E4 on at 10pm there's a good chance its on.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I despise it with every fibre of my being from what I've seen. I can never understand it when this sort of thing becomes so massively popular. I feel the same bewilderment towards Sarah Millican and Leigh Francis and any "humour" of that kind.

But, that said, different strokes for different folks. I'm not going to actually judge anyone for liking it. Much. ;):D

Oh yes me too! I find it quite insulting on a number of levels.
    I'm also quite frustrated at the people who defend it on a thread asking for others who don't like it, I thought we could have some sort of support group, but instead we are going to get people who post "that's nice!" (Pause for riotous applause) instead.
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am always bemused when people moan about a film or TV show being dated, unless it has aged abnormally badly for something of its time.

Exactly. I hear people state that The Young Ones has dated badly, but do they expect a slapstick, anti-Thatcher, alternative comedy to be relevant 30 years on??? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anybody here that does NOT llike this damn awful programme?

It is not funny and rather creepy! :o

It is a pale and rubbish version of the classic Les Dawson's Cissy and Ada sketches They were funny and because both men were very talented you could believe they were grotesque women.:)

Some people like, some people don't, some are indifferent.

Chill out
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive seen adverts and trailers for this show and cant for the life of me see whats so funny about it, i know people have different tastes etc but please explainto me whats so good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I thought we could have some sort of support group.

I can't tell if your post is serious or a little bit teasing, but if serious - this! And my own mother would want to join too as she changes the channel in disgust the second MBB comes on. :p
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand it either OP it's truly hideous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't tell if your post is serious or a little bit teasing, but if serious - this! And my own mother would want to join too as she changes the channel in disgust the second MBB comes on. :p

No I'm serious! This show is painful. I can feel my brain cells dying as I watch it. :D
    Good I'm glad, we should get an anonymous phone line for people who have had their sense of humour abused horribly by this program.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    No I'm serious! This show is painful. I can feel my brain cells dying as I watch it. :D
    Good I'm glad, we should get an anonymous phone line for people who have had their sense of humour abused horribly by this program.

That's nice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I don't get all the hype around it to be honest, I've watched a couple episodes and think I maybe laughed twice, if that!
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    8 million people watched the Christmas special, and another [almost] 3 million recorded it/watched it on iPlayer etc. It's popular with a certain audience.

I don't mind it - if only it was a bit more family-friendly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icanboogie wrote: »
    That's nice!

*riotous applause and BAFTAS thrown at you* lol:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    It's alright. But a lot of comedy is pretty marmite. I, for one, cannot stand Miranda but my best friend loves it m
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pleasantly surprised when I first watched the show and thought it was really funny. Now though, it doesn't always seem as funny as the creators think it is. It does irk me slightly when Agnes does her trademark laugh, as she often seems to do it when the audience don't laugh as much at something as hoped, prompting them to laugh awkwardly at that!

The parts I find most funny are when the characters acknowledge that they're in a studio. For example, in an episode I watched the other day, Agnes was in the pub but had forgotten her handbag, so simply walked out into the house set to collect it and then back over to the pub set!

I'm still trying to ascertain whether, as speculated on here, Agnes says "bucking" rather than the F word. It does sound like the former on some occasions.
  • jak frostjak frost Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Dull life you got, and there is TV threads.

The op is correct. It is creepy and unfunny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willow33 wrote: »
    I love it, have only started watching it. Nothing like the Les Dawson era. Much better.

I agree. Les Dawson's act was strictly one track, he needed Opportuntiy Knocks to kickstart his career for heaven's sake. Enough said. Mrs Brown 3rd series showing it's age already, sadly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my gripe with Father Ted is it hasnt been off the air since they stopped filming so I can't look at it now and say "aww look - simpler times" plus the jokes in it are hideously over done but not in an obvious way like Mrs Brown.
    In another ten years I'll probably love Father Ted again but now its just painful to watch so I don't.
    e4 have ruined father ted as Uk Gold ruined Only Fools They should both realise that less is more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    e4 have ruined father ted as Uk Gold ruined Only Fools They should both realise that less is more.

This is why I rarely watch "live" TV any more. I have DVDs, Netflix, Youtube, and downloads and make my own schedules. It's much less annoying than having the same old crap forced upon me over and over again every day.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown's Boys is a throw-back to the 70s working class sitcoms, like Love Thy Neighbour and Bless This House. It's "end of pier" comedy to appeal to that audience. Doesn't Brendan O'Carroll site his favourite comedians as Cannon & Ball if I remember correctly?

It's from a by-gone age, but maybe that's part of it's appeal to the (mostly) northern middle aged working class audience who enjoy it. It's a reminder of simpler times before all these trendy young alternative comedians came along, before everybody went to university, and the days when it wasn't classed an insult to be called "working class".

I'm not a fan, but then I don't really know people like that. To me, it's like Ricky Gervais' sitcom parody in the Extras "When the Whistle Blows" brought to life.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown's Boys is a throw-back to the 70s working class sitcoms, like Love Thy Neighbour and Bless This House. It's "end of pier" comedy to appeal to that audience. Doesn't Brendan O'Carroll site his favourite comedians as Cannon & Ball if I remember correctly?

It's from a by-gone age, but maybe that's part of it's appeal to the (mostly) northern middle aged working class audience who enjoy it. It's a reminder of simpler times before all these trendy young alternative comedians came along, before everybody went to university, and the days when it wasn't classed an insult to be called "working class".

I'm not a fan, but then I don't really know people like that. To me, it's like Ricky Gervais' sitcom parody in the Extras "When the Whistle Blows" brought to life.

Come on you're Hyacinth Bucket aren't you?
  • Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish programme
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I dont find it offensive, or creepy, just really...bad.

I just remembered the little sketches that were played in on either Children in Need or Comic Relief that died on their arse. Embarrassing.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I'd give this a try because mother watches it and have to say, I quite like it. It is quite funny the way 'she' goes on. I didn't honestly think I'd take to it but I have.