☢ Deodorant / Perspiration Stains

ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
Forum Member
Forgot to pack my RIght Guard for a recent trip and had to buy a local brand which has left dark stains on 7 or 8 light-coloured cotton t-shirts.

I've tried to remove them with Vanish but it hasn't made much difference. Any tips?

Comments

• michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The staining will be caused by the Aluminium in the product. Some people's sweat reacts with Aluminium to form a dark colored deposit.

This deposit can leave a permanent stain so you need to stop using the current product. Recent deposits can sometimes be removed using either oxalic acid or acetic acid. These products are often sold and rust or mold stain removers.

Avoid washing the clothes until you can try a stain remover and do not use products like vanish. Washing powered and common multi-purpose stain removers can chemically change the aluminium deposits making them impossible to remove, as can heating the clothes in a tumble drier.

Similar stains can also be caused by sweat itself and may be an issue if the product you are using is not as effective as your usual product. Sweat stains are not usually so hard to remove, but when they are soluble asprin can be quite effective. Again avoid the use of a driver which can "set" the stains making them harder to remove.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Write a letter of complaint. My boyfriend did to superdrug and got a £10 gift voucher.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    The staining will be caused by the Aluminium in the product. Some people's sweat reacts with Aluminium to form a dark colored deposit.

This deposit can leave a permanent stain so you need to stop using the current product. Recent deposits can sometimes be removed using either oxalic acid or acetic acid. These products are often sold and rust or mold stain removers.

Avoid washing the clothes until you can try a stain remover and do not use products like vanish. Washing powered and common multi-purpose stain removers can chemically change the aluminium deposits making them impossible to remove, as can heating the clothes in a tumble drier.

Similar stains can also be caused by sweat itself and may be an issue if the product you are using is not as effective as your usual product. Sweat stains are not usually so hard to remove, but when they are soluble asprin can be quite effective. Again avoid the use of a driver which can "set" the stains making them harder to remove.

Blimey, you know a lot about stuff.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies.

After doing a bit more research I was alerted to the efficacy of hydrogen peroxide. Sure enough when I tried a product containing that directly on the stains it did the job nicely.

You just have to be careful not to leave it on coloured fabric too long though.