Options

Blunder by BBC announcer

Comments

• Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought everyone knew about Brasilia being the capital. A classic of its type, a city that didn't demand to be built except by politicians and ambitious modernist architects.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not only that, they often make mistakes in spelling sub titles.

They won't get Australia, New Zealand or Canada wrong though. They must know their capitals are Sydney, Auckland, and Montreal. maybe
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not only that, they often make mistakes in spelling sub titles.

They won't get Australia, New Zealand or Canada wrong though. They must know their capitals are Sydney, Auckland, and Montreal. maybe

If you watched the excellent and very funny Canadian Bacon you'd know the capital of Canada is Toronto. :D
  • Options
    fedmanfedman Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Incidentally, why did the BBC1 presentation announcer say the BAFTAs were ''live from the Theatre Royal'' when in fact it was taped ?

These days unless it was recorded on HD-Cam I doubt if "tape" was involved at all, maybe we should start saying 'memorised' or 'hard disked' to indicate a non live programme!
    Mind you taped is still better than saying "filmed".
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    If you watched the excellent and very funny Canadian Bacon you'd know the capital of Canada is Toronto. :D

Is it?
    I thought the capital of Canada was New York?
    Canada is in the USA, right?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Has the announcer been named and sacked yet?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fedman wrote: »
    These days unless it was recorded on HD-Cam I doubt if "tape" was involved at all, maybe we should start saying 'memorised' or 'hard disked' to indicate a non live programme!
    Mind you taped is still better than saying "filmed".

Even worse is talking about ''filming'' what is actually a live event, you get it a lot in the papers
  • Options
    red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier on yesterday evening on BBC1, the announcer promoted a programme aired later in the evening about Rio De Janeiro, he said that Rio is the capital of Brazil, which of course it is not - Brasilia is. I don't expect that sort of thing.

I'm in agreement with you on this one. Taken on a world-wide scale the mistake in itself is not earth shattering, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the BBC to get things like this correct.

I happened to watch the BBC news after the Bafta awards programme last night and noted that one of the inlaid captions was spelt 'Febuary' instead of 'February'. Again, not important on it's own, but I would expect them to get basic things like that correct.

Viewers and listeners turn to the major broadcasters because they expect them to set a good example. It's all too easy to shrug shoulders and say does it matter?
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Is it?
    I thought the capital of Canada was New York?
    Canada is in the USA, right?

There's a lot of Canadians seething at that post :)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even worse is talking about ''filming'' what is actually a live event, you get it a lot in the papers

Is it worse than calling something 'live' because it was 'recorded as live' many months or years ago?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are often miss-spellings on the red button service, you would think they would have a spell checker or even an old fashioned dictionary. Not uncommon to find world news in the UK news section either. I just assume it's all staffed by untrained work experience people, no point in getting upset about it.
  • Options
    groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earlier on yesterday evening on BBC1, the announcer promoted a programme aired later in the evening about Rio De Janeiro, he said that Rio is the capital of Brazil, which of course it is not - Brasilia is. I don't expect that sort of thing.

This reminds me of when Daniela Ritorto (BBC News 24) said that Bill Clinton was the owner of Microsoft. (still makes me laugh)
    I almost cancelled my license fee in outrage, how dare someone make a mistake on TV live.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Is it worse than calling something 'live' because it was 'recorded as live' many months or years ago?

Everything is live at the point of recording:D
  • Options
    groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are often miss-spellings on the red button service, you would think they would have a spell checker or even an old fashioned dictionary. Not uncommon to find world news in the UK news section either. I just assume it's all staffed by untrained work experience people, no point in getting upset about it.

Note to GMB:
    employ a spell checker for such complex words as 'secretary'
    :D
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy mistake for the announcer to make I guess.

The other recent one I've heard its complaints that the World Cup merchandise for "Brasil 2014" is spelt wrong.... ;-)

zz9 wrote: »
    I don't know whatcha talkin' aboot eh?
    :D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . Incidentally, why did the BBC1 presentation announcer say the BAFTAs were ''live from the Theatre Royal'' when in fact it was taped ?
    Because it was recorded "as live"?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    red16v wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with you on this one. Taken on a world-wide scale the mistake in itself is not earth shattering, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the BBC to get things like this correct.

I happened to watch the BBC news after the Bafta awards programme last night and noted that one of the inlaid captions was spelt 'Febuary' instead of 'February'. Again, not important on it's own, but I would expect them to get basic things like that correct.

Viewers and listeners turn to the major broadcasters because they expect them to set a good example. It's all too easy to shrug shoulders and say does it matter?
    and since when has it become an outrageous crime to correct someone. It may have been a slip of the tongue but if not then surely the announcer wouldn't mind knowing that they got it wrong and will now have the correct information.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    OMG this is the end of the world.
    Really all the serious things in the world you moan about something so trivial.

Who really cares - i wouldn't have gave the comment a second thought anyway , the capital of brazil hardly impacts our lives unless it was a pub quiz question.
    OP is either a troll or someone who needs to get a life.
    As bad as those idiots who moan about rubbish to ofcom.
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another blunder which just occurred:

Huw was interviewing Joshua Raymond on the BBC News Channel, regarding the Pfizer/AstraZeneca story, and at one point, intended to say ‘city’ but it came out as ‘sh*tty’ :D

He immediately apologised, without drawing any more attention to the gaffe than was necessary, before continuing with his comments. Very well handled, really.

See it here for a limited period (at 17:05):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect professionalism. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit btw.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No you expect everyone to be perfect 24 hours a day, they are human, humans make errors.

I am sure you have made some mistakes in your life at some point.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted double post
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you ever made a mistake at work ?

Also as the programme they were promoting was the Michael Palin one on the history of Brazil and how it started right up to today are you sure they didn't say "former capital"
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member

To put it simply (and as politely as I can as otherwise I'd get banned if I said what I really wanted to say), get over yourself.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am outraged!

Scrap the BBC!!!!