Returning a blue badge after a death?

ian2k8ian2k8 Posts: 4,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, my father passed away last month and i need to send back his driving license and blue badge, where does the blue badge go to?

Comments

• grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send it to the issuing council with a letter confirming no further requirement. The address should actually be on the blue badge (or at least it is on my Dad's one - just looked!). If not, the Google will tell you.

Driving license - you only need to send a letter to DVLA in Swansea enclosing the license. - Or look at the DVLA website.

Send both recorded delivery.
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or, if you have a solicitor dealing with the probate on your behalf, you can give it all to them to deal with
  • ian2k8ian2k8 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Send it to the issuing council with a letter confirming no further requirement. The address should actually be on the blue badge (or at least it is on my Dad's one - just looked!). If not, the Google will tell you.

Driving license - you only need to send a letter to DVLA in Swansea enclosing the license. - Or look at the DVLA website.

Send both recorded delivery.

OK thanks for you're reply, I'll check the blue badge for an address.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also cut my expired one in half sent it back this week funnily enough
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you use the 'Tell Us Once' service from your local council?

They will do all of the work for you in one appointment.

I used it when my mother died a few years ago and it takes a lot of hassle out of what can be a difficult time.

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organisations-you-need-to-contact-and-tell-us-once
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I met with the registrar to collect my mother's death certificate, that was one of the items on the list of things that I was requested to take with me. They usually take care of all of those things.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sell it on ebay
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used it when my mother died a few years ago and it takes a lot of hassle out of what can be a difficult time.

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organisations-you-need-to-contact-and-tell-us-once

We used that when my dad died, it definitely helps.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never bothered, I simply just put in a draw and forgot about it.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my father died, we registered the death and then went to the council offices on the same day. This is where u get to fill out a TU form which automates the process of letting the various authorities know, such as dvla, benefits, etc. However it doesn't quite do everything, pensions paid via the post office are not automated - you must let the post office know yourself. At this meeting is where you should be asked to hand in a blue parking permit.
  • CarrieBradshawCarrieBradshaw Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I think I remember my ex saying when working for the council that handwritten letters would come in from elderly people, returning their deceased spouse's blue badges & that they were really sad to see, especially since it wasn't necessary to return them. Happy to be corrected on this & it might not be the same everywhere, but thought I'd mention it :)
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Or, if you have a solicitor dealing with the probate on your behalf, you can give it all to them to deal with

Yes if you/the estate has got money to burn.:o
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great advice grumpyscot and Mark39London. Sorry for your loss ian2k8.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great advice grumpyscot and Mark39London. Sorry for your loss ian2k8.

Thanks, it was a big help to me after my mother died.

Once again, for those who it might help:

This is the 'Tell Us Once' service, that you should be able to find at your local council. With one appointment, they will take care of most of the agencies that you need to inform following a death.

Make sure that you have already registered the death and have a death certificate and take along everything you have/think will be helpful.

It is easier than doing everything individually, especially if you are not thinking logically after the death of a loved one.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I had to do this I posted it back to the issuing council with a covering letter. The address was on the permit. I never heard another thing about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sell it on ebay

Bit insensitive IMO.

Credit to OP. I know many who continue to use their badges after the death of the person whose name it is in.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, its brilliant, it even worked out my late Husbands tax for me.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit insensitive IMO.

Credit to OP. I know many who continue to use their badges after the death of the person whose name it is in.

Personally, I cannot for the life of me see how someone can qualify for a blue badge when they go to boot camp 3 times a week and did the 20K run twice this year. But somehow, she gets it!