Fraud with parcel left at Post Office

vitaminzvitaminz Posts: 383
Forum Member
Back in September of last year I ordered a small TV from eBay for £120. The order was being shipped through Parcelforce to my home address, and I made sure someone was home throughout the week to accept the item.

After a few days of not receiving it, I decided to track the item and saw that delivery was apparently attempted and the house was carded - there were people home all week, and the house had certainly not been carded. Not a huge deal as I've had this happen before - but on the tracking, it said it had been delivered to a local Post Office, and it had apparently been collected within 2 minutes of it being delivered.

This was obviously very confusing for me, and I thought it may have been a computer mistake and the item was actually waiting for me there. I went around, and they showed me a receipt for the item with someone's signature, that was nothing like mine! I requested to see CCTV but was informed that there is no CCTV in that particular Post Office, which I found very odd. After the Post Office worker refusing to acknowledge what's gone on, I took the matter up with the South Wales Police and let them deal with it for a few months.

Just after new years, I was informed by the Police that there's nothing they can do and they dropped the case. I decided to email PayPal about the issue (which involved raising a case against the seller, which I didn't want to do as obviously it isn't their fault) and also write a letter of complain to the Post Office headquarters. PayPal got back to me instantly and said that as the seller has proof of postage there is nothing they can do.

I had a letter back off the Post Office today, and they have said they have contacted the branch manager and apparently the branch manager recalls my visit to collect the item and said I had shown ID(!) and also the Parcelforce calling card, so essentially it's my word against theirs.

I now don't know what to do next. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I can contact now? While £120 isn't much in the grand scheme of things, I'm essentially a victim of identity theft!

Thanks!

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Given the complexity of what's unfortunately just happened, it might be an idea to take this matter to a proper legal advisor:

http://lawworks.org.uk/clinics

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you get it sorted
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the PO staff would risk it you know.
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Whoah, how frustrating! Reminds me of the movie Brazil. I don't know what you can do but you have my sympathies.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    My bet is that Parcelfarce attempted to deliver the parcel to the wrong address and put a card through the door when they couldn't get an answer. The enterprising person living there then went to the Post Office with the card and collected the parcel; he probably didn't have any ID.

I suspect what the guy in the Post Office has said about the person collecting the parcel showed his ID is just bullshit! That's what's supposed to happen but, from my own experience of collecting parcels, they don't usually bother. He's just saying that to cover his own backside.

Well, that's what I reckon happened but how you would prove it I'm afraid I don't know.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    My bet is that Parcelfarce attempted to deliver the parcel to the wrong address and put a card through the door when they couldn't get an answer. The enterprising person living there then went to the Post Office with the card and collected the parcel; he probably didn't have any ID.

I suspect what the guy in the Post Office has said about the person collecting the parcel showed his ID is just bullshit! That's what's supposed to happen but, from my own experience of collecting parcels, they don't usually bother. He's just saying that to cover his own backside.

Well, that's what I reckon happened but how you would prove it I'm afraid I don't know.

Same here, I have collected parcels for my grandmother (different gender and surname to me) and have not been asked for ID, All i did was hand over the attempted delivery card and they gave me the parcel
  • panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also be aware that this is a common scam on ebay.

You sell a high ticket item but only send a cheap item tracked to a house in the same postcode as the buyer.

Other person picks up the letter sent to them and then the tracking shows that it has been delivered. If you then try and claim your money back the seller will show the tracking number to ebay/paypal saying it has been deliered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I have had a very similar situation, my best advice contact the parcel force manager and ask for you to go in and produce copies of your signature (bank card etc) ask them to show you the signature of the person who collected the parcel, maybe this would help and prove you did not sign for it
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you proof you were somewhere else when the parcel was collected to prove you didn't collect it as per the managers recollection? Also if he remembers you coming in then could he describe your appearance, again this might help prove it wasn't you.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post Office without CCTV - hmmm yeah ok.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

This does sound very likely. And CCTV would show that no ID was actually shown and that the OP did not collect the item.

The lesson here is that buying online is now risky because of the marked decline in delivery standards. Something out of the control of Ebay of course, but it does make buying via Ebay a risky proposition.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason to not go near fleabay

If I wanted a cheap telly, I would just go to a large Asda or Tesco....

Waste of time
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    panixs wrote: »
    Also be aware that this is a common scam on ebay.

You sell a high ticket item but only send a cheap item tracked to a house in the same postcode as the buyer.

Other person picks up the letter sent to them and then the tracking shows that it has been delivered. If you then try and claim your money back the seller will show the tracking number to ebay/paypal saying it has been deliered.

Doesn't that involve the scammer having an accomplice living in the same postcode as the (random) victim from eBay ?
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would only buy goods from Ebay now if I was buying from a registered shop and only if the feedback was 100% as I toohave been caught out by a rogue seller, although in my case I was lucky and paypal refunded all money, including delivery to me.
  • panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Doesn't that involve the scammer having an accomplice living in the same postcode as the (random) victim from eBay ?

Not really you can send anything tracked to the same postcode. Often its just a empty box/envelope or a piece of junk mail. As long as royal mail tracking shows delivery and being signed for ebay will side with the seller. I belive what helps this process is that royal mail are notoriously slow in dealing with claims for thus kind of stuff so normally falls out side of ebay timescales.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The postal services have their own investigation branch, maybe you could make a complaint to them.
    The manager should at least be able to produce the could not deliver card, they take it from you.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Threatening a small claim against the seller might encourage them to pursue matters more thoroughly with ParcelFarce.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    vitaminz wrote: »
    Back in September of last year I ordered a small TV from eBay for £120. The order was being shipped through Parcelforce to my home address, and I made sure someone was home throughout the week to accept the item.

After a few days of not receiving it, I decided to track the item and saw that delivery was apparently attempted and the house was carded - there were people home all week, and the house had certainly not been carded. Not a huge deal as I've had this happen before - but on the tracking, it said it had been delivered to a local Post Office, and it had apparently been collected within 2 minutes of it being delivered.

This was obviously very confusing for me, and I thought it may have been a computer mistake and the item was actually waiting for me there. I went around, and they showed me a receipt for the item with someone's signature, that was nothing like mine! I requested to see CCTV but was informed that there is no CCTV in that particular Post Office, which I found very odd. After the Post Office worker refusing to acknowledge what's gone on, I took the matter up with the South Wales Police and let them deal with it for a few months.

Just after new years, I was informed by the Police that there's nothing they can do and they dropped the case. I decided to email PayPal about the issue (which involved raising a case against the seller, which I didn't want to do as obviously it isn't their fault) and also write a letter of complain to the Post Office headquarters. PayPal got back to me instantly and said that as the seller has proof of postage there is nothing they can do.

I had a letter back off the Post Office today, and they have said they have contacted the branch manager and apparently the branch manager recalls my visit to collect the item and said I had shown ID(!) and also the Parcelforce calling card, so essentially it's my word against theirs.

I now don't know what to do next. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I can contact now? While £120 isn't much in the grand scheme of things, I'm essentially a victim of identity theft!

Thanks!

Its a simple case of non-receipt. Either file a claim with your credit card or Paypal.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    panixs wrote: »
    Not really you can send anything tracked to the same postcode. Often its just a empty box/envelope or a piece of junk mail. As long as royal mail tracking shows delivery and being signed for ebay will side with the seller. I belive what helps this process is that royal mail are notoriously slow in dealing with claims for thus kind of stuff so normally falls out side of ebay timescales.

Fail, it would have a different address, ie house number, sound like just another false myth to discredit ebay
  • Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The exact same thing happened to me, OP.

I ended up raising a small claim against the seller and I won! You can do it online...think the cost is £25.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.