Stella (sky One)

Comments

• LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Approaching with trepidation this week. Cordon's on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »

Agreed! But hopefully just a wee "comedy" cameo, the rest of it will be fine I'm sure.;)
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JasonMason wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised that this series isn't creating more of a stir on here. It is really good, very involving, and I look forward to every episode on a Friday night. The 10 episode format has given the writers and perfomers time to develop the characters. The episode where Rob came to Luke's birthday party was brilliant drama,really gripping.Thoroughly enjoyable comedy drama, I am already looking forward to the second series and if you haven't been able to watch this yet please do as I am sure Sky will repeat it.
    By far the best thing Ruth Jones has ever done.

Its been magnificent - the 10 episode format has really given the characters the time to develop both in terms of the writing and the acting - you can clearly see how the actors have developed the roles as the series has gone on.

I'm sure the series would have created a bigger stir audience-wise if it had been on BBC2 / Channel 4 - but its their loss, and Sky have backed Ruth Jones with a 2nd series. Hopefully it will encourage Sky to commission more original drama of its own rather than forever importing stiff from the US.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »

Why trepidation.

He's a very good actor.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Why trepidation.

He's a very good actor.

First time I saw Corden was in Fat Friends, with Ruth Jones. He was good then. In 2001 he won the RTS Network Newcomer for his performance.

Don't know why people knock his acting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by JustJanetnoJohn
    I don't want to give my mam in law's street away but it was in the Cymmer Porth area. And I know they used Bronwydd house Porth for the wedding as they couldn't get Pontypridd registry office. Hope this helps. I think a lot of the first episode was filmed down Caerphilly way. Rugby club and such.
    Stebates wrote: »
    This show's locations does my head in everytime I see them so it does. The bloody show was filmed mainly in Tylorstown in the Rhondda Fach where I lived between 1968 to 1976. Brynbedw Rd where Dai and Paula live (no 53) was part of my paper round when I was a kid. I went to Ferndale Grammer School in Maerdy before it became a comp.. So recognising that and Parry St wher most of the filming takes place freaks me out a little when you consider I left Tylorstown in 76. The rugby field (with VIP area) is where I leaned to play the game. The bench is just below Tylorstown tip and you can often see Penrhys, Pontygwaith, Ferndale and Blaenllechau in shot. The fourth episode showed the kids training in Penrhys with Tonypandy in the background. The only location I don't recognise is the funeral directors exterior which I thought was Porth. Bugger all to do with Caerphilly it's the Rhondda.

I now live in Liverpool and both me and my English wife love the series because while the Welsh might not enjoy it, it is how we see people in the valleys about 10 years behind the rest of the UK. I still have family in the valleys and even they love the series so Ruth ignore the negatives, Stella is the dogs Cocking bollocks..

The rugby club which featured in the "Dick the Kick" episode was Pontypridd RFC, whilst the subsequent interior shots were filmed in the Ponty Clubhouse. If you look carefully, you'll see in the background of one shot a mural (if thats the right word to use) of Bob Penberthy who made 877 appearences for Ponty

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icwales2/may2011/9/4/sardis-road-378682277.jpg
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Why trepidation.

He's a very good actor.

Don't get me wrong I loved him in Fat Friends and G&S but since then he's had a tendency to overact in my opinion. A shame cos he is a good actor I agree. It could and I hope it will be very amusing
  • NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    First time I saw Corden was in Fat Friends, with Ruth Jones. He was good then. In 2001 he won the RTS Network Newcomer for his performance.

Don't know why people knock his acting.
    He was brilliant in Gavin & Stacey, especially the final episode, where he brought tears to my eyes with the scenes in the carpark and in the church.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have finally caught up with my recorded episodes in time for tonights final one. Although I have been left wondering how Luke will get a visa considering he has recently been in jail, or does Canada have different laws to America?
  • tushinghamtushingham Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Have finally caught up with my recorded episodes in time for tonights final one. Although I have been left wondering how Luke will get a visa considering he has recently been in jail, or does Canada have different laws to America?

Ah that might turn out to be a reason to keep him home with his dear old mam. I've had a feeling all along that he won't go to Canada.

I understand Stella's distress at the thought of her son moving away but, surely, she should acknowledge that it's a wonderful opportunity for him?
    Nope, seems like she's only thinking of herself.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I know she loves him dearly. And who does Rob think he is, turning up like that and taking away her lovely boy?
    Still, Canada . . .
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have loved this series.
    I hope they tie all the ends up tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh he actually went then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no she's pregnant. Could be Rob's.:eek:
  • arkark Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And avoid Kenny Doughty's tweets if you want to miss a spoiler!!! you have been warned!
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a pants ending IMO.

It really looked like James Corden's bit was stuck in at the last minute - made no sense.

Did Stella really shag Rob 2 months ago?? I missed that bit.

As others have pointed out, how did Luke get an emigration Visa 1) so quickly and 2) at all seen as he's just got out of prison?!

Other than these minor points - brilliant series and looking forward to series 2!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    Bit of a pants ending IMO.

It really looked like James Corden's bit was stuck in at the last minute - made no sense.

Did Stella really shag Rob 2 months ago?? I missed that bit.

As others have pointed out, how did Luke get an emigration Visa 1) so quickly and 2) at all seen as he's just got out of prison?!

Other than these minor points - brilliant series and looking forward to series 2!

When she went to see him in his hotel room, she said "I'm not going to sleep with you.".
    BUT . . . . . as she left, he called out her name. She turned around. He whispered "I still love you". The scene faded out . . .
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tushingham wrote: »
    When she went to see him in his hotel room, she said "I'm not going to sleep with you.".
    BUT . . . . . as she left, he called out her name. She turned around. He whispered "I still love you". The scene faded out . . .

Ah - and the scene on the park bench was two months later. Got it. Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to see the end of this series thank goodness Sky have commissioned a second series. So well written and performed, the characterisation has been superb. There are no "nasty" characters, there are characters with flaws. It's a reasonable reflection on how people really are and how they interact with each other. Life isn't black and white and how we feel about people isn't either. Regarding Stella's romantic predicament, well, I like Sean he can't be faulted but I can totally understand why she can't quite let go of Rob! Bring on series 2 ;)
    I think the baby is Rob's too, bet it's a red head!
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ark wrote: »
    And avoid Kenny Doughty's tweets if you want to miss a spoiler!!! you have been warned!
    can you post the spoiler here please?

great series, my favourite episode was the one with the rugby match:D
    I wanted Stella to get with the lollypop man......

Does anyone know the song that played when Rob & Luke were leaving?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for next series - it has been superb, pure class.

Have ordered the DVD from Amazon
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Can't wait for next series - it has been superb, pure class.

Have ordered the DVD from Amazon
    am gutted to have missed this, will it be shown again from the start, do we think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    am gutted to have missed this, will it be shown again from the start, do we think?

I think so. Sky usually repeat programmes.
    They seem to be improving their drama output.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    can you post the spoiler here please?

Does anyone know the song that played when Rob & Luke were leaving?

Bedshaped - by Keane :):)
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkingmad wrote: »
    Bedshaped - by Keane :):)
    thanks a million:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member