Problem recording onto DVD from TV

I have a Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder, but have never used the DVD recording feature (stuck with tapes until I got Freeview+) until now.

I finally had cause to record onto DVD last week. I used a DVD+R disc, which the machine initialised before use. I set the timer in the usual way and saw the recording light appear for the duration of the recording.

When I've come to play it back, the machine seems to be playing a track (the clock counter goes up and I can fast forward and rewind), but nothing appears on screen - pictures or sound! I tried it on a different DVD player, which refuses to load the disc at all and on a computer, which didn't even recognise the presence of a disc in the drive.

Only because the recording was for somebody else (not because I believe there is any real prospect of retrieving it), I was wondering/hoping if perhaps I've not done something elementary which is stopping it from playing back. Does the disc need finalising (I can't find the machine's instruction book to find out)? Any other possibilities as to what might have happened? The fact that the clock is counting is giving me a shred of (probably false) hope.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    4-Tel wrote: »
    Does the disc need finalising
    Almost certainly it does before you can play it in another machine and possibly before you can play it in the machine that made the recording.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you 100% certain that the recorder was actually recording anything? Does the recorder have a Freeview tuner built in? If not then it would not have recorded anything on it's own. It may be possible for the TV to feed whatever channel it is tuned to back down the SCART lead to the recorder and the recorder could be set to record this signal.

However if you turned the telly off then that signal would disappear. So I would first double check what it was you told it to record and whether or not there was any audio or video present for it to record.

If it is possible, try recording from whatever source you used onto VHS and DVD, not sure if it would do it at the same time but that is not absolutely vital. If it records onto VHS OK but not DVD then that implies the DVD recorder is cream crackered in some way. Does it play back commercially recorded disks? It is possible the laser needs a good clean. Preferably with direct access to it so you can wipe it with a cotton bud very lightly dampened with something like Isopropyl Alcohol. Failing that a cleaning disk might work.

Playing back on the recorder should be possible whether the disk is finalised or not. It certainly was on the Panasonic recorder I had many moons ago. It would need to be finalised to play on another player however.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I can record onto VHS no problem - since switchover I set the recorder to tape AV2 which is the Sky output and then put Sky on the relevant channel. The only difference this time was toggling the VHS/DVD tab to DVD. And it does play back commercial DVDs.

As a final throw of the dice, any idea how I'd finalise the DVD? It gave me the option of initialising it when I put it in, but since recording, no option has appeared for finalising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would doubt it needs finalising to play back on the recorder itself. I don't think I ever finalised a recording I made on my old Panasonic. So if the recording is blank playing back on the recorder then I suspect it has recorded blank video and audio.

The fact that it lets you play, fast forward or rewind the recording and the counter counts up/down as appropriate implies that the recorder is able to read the disk. If it needed to be finalised then it would be the same as the other machines, it would either not play at all or not be recognised.

I think the problem here is that the recorder is recording something but not what you are telling it to record. My feeling is that if the laser were knackered or so dirty it couldn't record the disk would be corrupt and nothing would happen if you tried to play it, even on the recorder.

I have a feeling that, assuming the absence of operator error obviously :) , that the recorder may be a bit broken. You could try a different make of disk just in case but that might not make any difference. If the recorder is compatible then maybe try a DVD -R disk instead of a +R disk.

And if you are totally desperate then you could read the manual :) If you can't find yours then you might be able to download it from the Panasonic website. If you feed the exact model number into the Support section then it might offer up a manual.
  • 56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +R or +RW disks rarely need finalising to play on another machine or to rip onto a computer although there may be exceptions.

-R and -RW disks always do need finalising but offer greater compatibility between machines.

It does sound like you were recording the wrong input. Unless you have a strange TV you cannot record something that is playing on it, I have never come across one that outputs its signal.

So you need a separate source unless your recorder has a built in digital tuner. If you daisy chain a Freeview set top box into the input of the recorder (say AV1) and then to the TV (from AV2) you can watch what the recorder is seeing. Output is usually composite from AV2 on most recorders (but not all) so the picture quality to the set could be degraded.

Most recorders also have "pass through" which means you can watch the Freeview box even with the recorder switched off.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    56up wrote: »
    Unless you have a strange TV you cannot record something that is playing on it, I have never come across one that outputs its signal.

All digital TVs are capable of outputting their signal via at least one of their scart sockets - this has been the case since Freeview tuners were first built into televisions sets, to allow Freeview TV owners to record from their single Freeview tuner whilst they still had analogue only VCRs/DVDRs. Some will output only what Freeview station the TV is tuned to - regardless of whether that is what is being watched on TV at the moment. Some will output whatever is being watched on the TV, be it from the analogue tuner, the digital terrestrial tuner, the satellite terrestrial tuner or from an external source. But, if the OP's TV falls in to the second category, and the TV was set to output (say) the signal from the analogue terrestrial tuner, which is now not picking up a TV signal, then this may explain why his recording showed nothing.

What he needs to do is record the scart input on both video and DVD simultaneously - and see whether he then gets a picture on both, gets nothing on both, or in fact gets a signal on one and nothing on the other. If he gets a signal on one but not the other, this suggests that he has to choose his source for DVD recordings seperately than when choosing his source for videotape recordings.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to everybody for taking the time to reply. I haven't a clue how to record to DVD and VHS simultaneously to test the theory about the source (sorry to anybody who's now genuinely interested in finding out what actually happened:o), but it strikes me as odd that the choice of DVD or VHS should affect things in this way, As you can tell, though, I'm not the most tech-savvy of people, but I think I'll comfort myself with the theory that the machine is just knackered!:D

Now I just need to confess my failings to somebody I laughed at when they were surprised to find you could record off the TV onto DVD - turns out I can't after all.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-Tel wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody for taking the time to reply. I haven't a clue how to record to DVD and VHS simultaneously to test the theory about the source (sorry to anybody who's now genuinely interested in finding out what actually happened:o), but it strikes me as odd that the choice of DVD or VHS should affect things in this way, As you can tell, though, I'm not the most tech-savvy of people, but I think I'll comfort myself with the theory that the machine is just knackered!:D

Now I just need to confess my failings to somebody I laughed at when they were surprised to find you could record off the TV onto DVD - turns out I can't after all.:rolleyes:
    You may not be able to record to both at the same time. but you should be able to record the same source onto each one after the other. For example set the recorder to record BBC1 first to the VHS then to the DVD. If you are following the instructions on how to do this properly and you find VHS works OK but DVD does not then the DVD is probably knackered.

As I posted above you might be able to download a manual for your unit from the Panasonic website if you are in any uncertainty that you are pressing the right buttons.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Support/Downloads/220239/index.html#anker_222458

It might also be worthwhile using a different format of disk. DVD+R and DVD-R are not exactly the same, that + and - is important. -R disks seem to have more options than +R if you look at the specs for various Panasonic recorders so there is a chance they might work better.