Which tablet for my 4 year old?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
Forum Member
✭✭
Can't decide between a Hudl 2 or a Kindle Fire! Has anyone also looked at either of these or already have them?

Any response is gratefully received!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone? 135 views and no reply?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    id suggest the Hudl between those two. Mainly as im not a big fan of the restricted approach taken by Amazon. However, i suppose, a 4 year old my find the less-customisable interface KF a benefit.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    Anyone? 135 views and no reply?
    I think people are too polite because they are thinking 'why does a 4 year need a tablet?'
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I think people are too polite because they are thinking 'why does a 4 year need a tablet?'

Well theres to watch CBBies for a start.:D

I noticed in a local Tesco yesterday there selling the original seven incher for £59 now.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

I don't think the OP said that their child needs a tablet ... but they want to get them one. Which is fair enough.

My 6 year old has the original Hudl, cracking bit of kit. He's had it for a year. Prior to that he was using my Nexus 7 and BB Playbook. And happily alternating between them.

But he doesn't exclusively play on his tablet - he's just as happy larking around with Lego, random games .... But devices like the Hudl or any random Android tablet make for a way better educational toy than devices like the Leappad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all . . . yes, my child has asked for her own tablet for Christmas but that's because she's used to hogging my iPad mini and just loves it! She's had a leappad since she was 2 but it's just recently given up the ghost and doesn't work anymore.

We were looking at the newer leappad models but given as she just loves watching Ceebies and playing the games on their website plus scrolling through kiddle-friendly videos on youtube, we thought that there would be more sense in getting her a tablet which would last her longer and you weren't restricted to just leappad games.

And just as Clonmult said above, she isn't exclusively fixed to my iPad . . . she also loves playing with her other toys too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I am reading this, a 4yo with a tablet...that is beyond a joke.. The proof how much damage these things do to eyes, radiation etc has not been tested on the young, so, yes, let them have one to play now and again, but to let them have one to use all the time. NO! Stick to real toys..
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Can't believe I am reading this, a 4yo with a tablet...that is beyond a joke.. The proof how much damage these things do to eyes, radiation etc has not been tested on the young, so, yes, let them have one to play now and again, but to let them have one to use all the time. NO! Stick to real toys..

My 7 year old has been using Apple devices in his school during lessons since he was in reception class, they are used as an educational tool and also as a reward so I pressume they are safe.

I'm sure his school is not the only one who uses them.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Damage to the eyes? No different from reading a book. Radiation? What radiation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Damage to the eyes? No different from reading a book. Radiation? What radiation?

Just one report, there are lots out there...

http://peperperspective.com/2013/04/27/keep-mobile-phones-tablets-or-laptops-away-from-your-body-wireless-devices-may-cause-harm/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No damage done to the eyes. "Radiation" isn't a problem. This is just stupid scaremongering.

As a few of us have said, our kids (who are being brought up to be well balanced) will spend a bit of time playing on the tablet. My son will happily play with lego, cars, spend time kicking a balloon around, making stuff with hama beads ....

It is all about balance. Which you don't seem to have; do you actually have children?
    Forum Member

Nothing in there seems very well researched
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as it is not been proven either way, I would not let my very young children have one while the brain is growing, is it worth taking the chance? I remember the same was said about smoking a long time ago, guess I would not want to take the risk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    No damage done to the eyes. "Radiation" isn't a problem. This is just stupid scaremongering.

As a few of us have said, our kids (who are being brought up to be well balanced) will spend a bit of time playing on the tablet. My son will happily play with lego, cars, spend time kicking a balloon around, making stuff with hama beads ....

It is all about balance. Which you don't seem to have; do you actually have children?

Yes, now grown-up, and we spent time with them, not just turning the TV on, and leaving them. Reading with them, outdoor walking etc, camping, playing games, having real fun.
    Forum Member
    I remember the same was said about smoking a long time ago, guess I would not want to take the risk.

Tobacco has been around for hundreds of years though - and science has come a long, long way since then which allows research to be done quicker and in more exacting terms. If an LCD screen or Wi-Fi was dangerous it would have been proven by now.
  • Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Reading this thread and the OP has scared me a lot to think thay CHILDREN nowadays are heavily reliant on technology to have fun, this coming from a 25 year old.

If I had kids I would never allow them to touch a smartphone or a tablet until at least they enter the year before Secondary School (Year 6).

Why can't you get your son/daughter some real toys, you know like we had as kids and read with him/her, go walking, camping etc and play board games you know have some real family fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbo19 wrote: »
    Reading this thread and the OP has scared me a lot to think thay CHILDREN nowadays are heavily reliant on technology to have fun, this coming from a 25 year old.

If I had kids I would never allow them to touch a smartphone or a tablet until at least they enter the year before Secondary School (Year 6).

Why can't you get your son/daughter some real toys, you know like we had as kids and read with him/her, go walking, camping etc and play board games you know have some real family fun.

Well said, it a shame, some parents don't want to react with their children, ie walking, playing trad games and just want to leave them in front of a TV or more so these days a ipad,
  • NephelerNepheler Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    vote for Nabi 2, is currently one of the best Android kids' tablets around.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    My 7 year old has been using Apple devices in his school during lessons since he was in reception class, they are used as an educational tool and also as a reward so I pressume they are safe.

I'm sure his school is not the only one who uses them.

You're right - many schools use tablets now. I have worked in a reception class and the children regularly used ipads in class. There were also 2 computers in class which children could use to play games, and some SEN children would be taken to the ICT room to do the work they had been set, and when they had finished they were allowed on the computers to watch things on the cbeebies website or play games. Technology is such a huge part of life now, even for very young children.

OP I would go for the Hudl 2.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Young children are using tablets a lot in schools now, along with computers. Your child would very likely be using a tablet in reception, many years before they reached year 6.
  • davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ever so slightly judgemental.

You really wouldn't approve of my (then) three year old having an iPad and iPhone then? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, now grown-up, and we spent time with them, not just turning the TV on, and leaving them. Reading with them, outdoor walking etc, camping, playing games, having real fun.

And you think that all those things suddenly stop when a kid has a tablet? Come on, grow up and get a grip.

The tablet is just another toy.

We still go out for walks, play real games (classics like frustration, top trumps, battleships).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By the time you have kids, society as a whole will likely be even more reliant on technology. And taking that attitude, you'll be setting back your kids in some increasingly key areas.

And as I've said before, these tablets don't replace "real toys". They're just another toy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davisa wrote: »
    Ever so slightly judgemental.

You really wouldn't approve of my (then) three year old having an iPad and iPhone then? :D

Joke right, a 3yo with a iPhone..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    By the time you have kids, society as a whole will likely be even more reliant on technology. And taking that attitude, you'll be setting back your kids in some increasingly key areas.

And as I've said before, these tablets don't replace "real toys". They're just another toy.

But that is the point, for some parents they do replace real toys if the parents have to join in playing with their kids, they just can't be bothered, just like TV has done in the past, and still does.