Is it OK to listen to Gary Glitter?

Comments

• Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If you listen to a Gary Glitter track you are, in fact, listening to GG singing and another chap, Mike Leander, playing virtually all the instruments. Mike also co-wrote and produced all the songs.

The Glitter Band performed the songs with GG live on stage. They didn't play a single note on the recordings.

There's no reason whatsoever for not listening to Gary Glitter songs. It's unfortunate that both Mike Leander and the Glitter Band have, no doubt, effectively lost out due to GG's later revealed behaviour. They themselves have done nothing wrong whatsoever.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=1Mickey;76244469]But there's a big difference between sleeping in the same bed and sleeping in the same room.

1. Michael Jacksons room was 2 floors, so the same room doesn't mean the same bed

2. In the documentary which most people think proves him guilty he mentions that sleeping in the room doesn't mean sleeping in the same bed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlu8-JavZ8I

The actual evidence is pages long but feel free

http://www.mjfacts.info/2005_trial_transcripts.php

but here's the boiled down reason it was rejected from a member of his defense team:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj9pzFtEMjM

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=762eTkHY6jg

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVP_UUC0rms

Part 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WiSpEz5SI

part 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTgell1QDE[/QUOTE]

And yet he did sleep in the same bed...but keep defending him, as you seem to think his actions are perfectly fine.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And yet he did sleep in the same bed...but keep defending him, as you seem to think his actions are perfectly fine.

As far as i'm aware sleeping isn't a criminal offense.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    Course it is. Appreciate the music, not the artist.

Exactly. If people aren't mature enough to separate the man from the material, that's their loss.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That doesn't mean anything sexual happened though. The man was deprived a childhood and had the most appalling Father which may well have seriously damaged Michael's mental health and caused him to behave the way he did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean anything sexual happened though. The man was deprived a childhood and had the most appalling Father which may well have seriously damaged Michael's mental health and caused him to behave the way he did.

I didn't say anything sexual happened...just making excuses for him...doesn't make it right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware sleeping isn't a criminal offense.

No problem in your eyes then with people abusing their power to sleep with children...glad we cleared that up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem in your eyes then with people abusing their power to sleep with children...glad we cleared that up.

I have no problem based on the actual evidence. If you want to go on assumptions then thats up to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem based on the actual evidence. If you want to go on assumptions then thats up to you.

Well condone his actions for abusing his power to sleep with kiddies then...if you can't then you find it perfectly acceptable. I am not saying he did anything sexual, but what he did was wrong...he could have easily said no and that would have been the right thing to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well condone his actions for abusing his power to sleep with kiddies then...if you can't then you find it perfectly acceptable. I am not saying he did anything sexual, but what he did was wrong...he could have easily said no and that would have been the right thing to do.

I don't need to condone it. Its not a criminal offense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need to condone it. Its not a criminal offense.

It doesn't have to be a criminal offence, to be wrong or right...but at least I know where you stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't have to be a criminal offence, to be wrong or right...but at least I know where you stand.

I doubt anyone would be to shocked that i don't think sleeping is morally wrong,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wasn't brilliant, no, but I do think there's a tendency to rubbish any talent he had because of who he was.

His architectural studies are much better than anything I could hope to do:
    Yes, very fair. I don't really like looking at them, which is obviously 100% projecting my own knowledge on them.

[
    I didn't say anything sexual happened...just making excuses for him...doesn't make it right.

It was extremely foolish, whatever the exact details. He was a poignant example of what happens if you take someone from an extremely dysfunctional background and allow them to do and have anything they want. To put it mildly, he seems to have had no common sense at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt anyone would be to shocked that i don't think sleeping is morally wrong,

No...but abusing your position of power to be able to satisfy your need to be able to sleep with kids certainly should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...but abusing your position of power to be able to satisfy your need to be able to sleep with kids certainly should be.

You can twist it as much as you like. Sleeping is not a criminal offense or morally wrong and you're not going to persuade me that it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can twist it as much as you like. Sleeping is not a criminal offense or morally wrong and you're not going to persuade me that it is.

Not twisting anything...would you find it okay if some random guy down your street started behaving in the same way, befriending children and sleeping with them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not twisting anything...would you find it okay if some random guy down your street started behaving in the same way, befriending children and sleeping with them?

That's removing the actions from the actual context, which is twisting things. Nobody in my street has a 3000 acre ranch with arcades, a cinema, a fairground, a zoo and guest cottages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's removing the actions from the actual context, which is twisting things. Nobody in my street has a 3000 acre ranch with arcades, a cinema, a fairground, a zoo and guest cottages.

I forgot you need a lair to attract the kiddies....any ideas what sort of people do that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot you need a lair to attract the kiddies....any ideas what sort of people do that?

Keep twisting. It says more about you than anyone else.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine but unfortunately some small-minded cretins will take it as an implicit admission that you are a paedophile and try to kill you.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Yes Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis are very good examples of the basic point under discussion.

And Elvis Presley. He was 24 when he met the 14 year old he went on to marry. People have no problems still playing his music.

And Bill Wyman started going out with Mandy Smith when she was 13 and he was 47. I've never heard anyone wondering if it was alright to play music by The Rolling Stones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep twisting. It says more about you than anyone else.

If you like...but I don't find it acceptable for grown men to be sleeping with befriended children...unlike others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like...but I don't find it acceptable for grown men to be sleeping with befriended children...unlike others.

In that case i hope you're not left alone with any kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case i hope you're not left alone with any kids.

Personally was hoping that for you...wouldn't know what strangers you would leave kids with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally was hoping that for you...wouldn't know what strangers you would leave kids with.

Still twisting.