Bad News about Netflix

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
That they will block Netflix viewers if they watch US version of Netflix on International DNS, which I did, bye bye Netflix USA as they got all films & TV series in Subtitles which UK version dont got! :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/netflix-is-blocking-international-streamers-who-use-vpns-to-access-the-us-version-9956469.html

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    That they will block Netflix viewers if they watch US version of Netflix on International DNS, which I did, bye bye Netflix USA as they got all films & TV series in Subtitles which UK version dont got! :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/netflix-is-blocking-international-streamers-who-use-vpns-to-access-the-us-version-9956469.html
    Bad news for them if that happens. Heaps of people will cancel now.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, that's a bit short sighted methinks. It doesn't bother me particularly, I've settled with UK Netflix and I dip in and out to NOW TV when I see a deal.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do that for a reason. because Netflix UK sucks.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that sucks.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lame.
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell this is just Android based, and I don't believe it can circumvent the router DNS settings which can still be altered, it just means you can't change the DNS in the Android App.

PS3, XBOX, and others should be running just as normal, for now at least. Even if they do get shut down, you should still be able to enter the DNS info in the router, unless they blacklist the actual DNS numbers.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    What about if you access Netflix Us via the Chrome App Hola?
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Why do people bother with it? you can just download the films free off torrents or actually go see them in the cinemas and get on DVD. Most I know just moan about Netflix and Love Film as its limited choice.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point going for the paid alternative to piracy, if it's still not welcomed and embraced by the rights holders.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    No point going for the paid alternative to piracy, if it's still not welcomed and embraced by the rights holders.

These companies force people into piracy! just give the subscribers what they want and they wont stray. Simple as!
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    peach45 wrote: »
    What about if you access Netflix Us via the Chrome App Hola?

I use Hola. If I can't access US Netflix I'll cancel, UK is mince.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    These companies force people into piracy! just give the subscribers what they want and they wont stray. Simple as!

If they gave the subscribers what they want - thousands of hours of content that cost literally billions to make for a fiver a month - the entire industry would collapse.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    If they gave the subscribers what they want - thousands of hours of content that cost literally billions to make for a fiver a month - the entire industry would collapse.
    Sorry, are you saying that if the uk had the same content as the USA that the whole entertainment industry would collapse?:o
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    Oh dear, that's a bit short sighted methinks. It doesn't bother me particularly, I've settled with UK Netflix and I dip in and out to NOW TV when I see a deal.

Not really short sighted.
    It'll be down to the contracts Netfkix has, if they don't have the rights to the content outside of the U,S, they will be expected to take reasonable steps to ensure they don't step on the toes of the legitimate rights holders in the other countries.

Failure to do so can/will result in some rights owners either refusing to deal with Netflix, or charging more to cover the potential cost of lost revenue from other licensing territories.

They will be far more worried about that happening (and losing their U.S. subscribers who want that at risk content), than losing some customers in other parts of the world.

I'll admit it's bad news and annoying for people that were using international access, but contractually it'll be about the only thing Netflix can do and covered in the T&C users sign up for. Although I'm slightly surprised that Netflix don't already limit U.S. access to accounts both accessing from and U,S, IP, and using a valid U.S. postal/billing address and card
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Bad news for them if that happens. Heaps of people will cancel now.

Yep. The stupid buggers will only hurt themselves by losing a lot of customers if that happens.

Edit: After reading some of the post above mine, it could be that Netflix has been pressured by the industry into blocking outside connections that try to access content that isn't allowed to be viewed outside of America until a certain amount of time has passed.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I looked through the list of films and series on this list for the differences between UK and US Netflix.

http://netflixukvsusa.blogspot.com/2015/01/alphabetical-list-j-sun-jan-4-2015.html#more

It looks as if the problem is that Sky among others have broadcast rights for many of the films/series that Netflix US show.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    I looked through the list of films and series on this list for the differences between UK and US Netflix.

http://netflixukvsusa.blogspot.com/2015/01/alphabetical-list-j-sun-jan-4-2015.html#more

It looks as if the problem is that Sky among others have broadcast rights for many of the films/series that Netflix US show.

3,453 films is a LOT for a streaming site like Netflix.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems Netflix have some form of agreement with Sony (at least) to implement VPN/DNS blocks
    http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-cracks-down-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirates-150103/

Edit ~ The Independent link in the OP is using the above torrentfreak article for reference.
    I didn't initially click it :blush:
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Don't blame netflix, blame the box ticking lawyers who sort out these MORONIC regional rights contracts to content. Netflix sadly have to follow the rules or they are out of business. It must be top question along with "what is the meaning of life", the question "what is the damn shitting issue with not releasing certain content in certain countries, especially western, English speaking countries at the same damn time and available on the same damn platform!!?!?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really bad news is it.

In the grand scheme of things.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news: They're actually not doing anything -
    Netflix tells us that there's been "no change" in the way it handles VPNs,

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/03/netflix-clamps-down-on-vpns/
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Sorry, are you saying that if the uk had the same content as the USA that the whole entertainment industry would collapse?:o

They probably are. Never mind the fact how stupid it sounds.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    It's not really bad news is it.

In the grand scheme of things.

This. It really is a "First world problem". To be honest I've only just started to watch Netflix and am quite impressed with what is on it. Wouldn't have a clue how to watch the American version and to be honest I've got a busy enough life and find more than enough on my Sky box to never need to worry about this major problem :cry::p
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Why do people bother with it? you can just download the films free off torrents or actually go see them in the cinemas and get on DVD. Most I know just moan about Netflix and Love Film as its limited choice.

Torrents can take too long and by the time it is downloaded you may not want to see the film at that time. Cinemas are too expensive and to be honest I do not really want to go into our new Odeon, also a lot of older films and other content that would not be shown in the cinema now anyway.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    No wonder people use illegal sharing websites,the UK's Netflix is rather limited and I've seen most of the stuff I have any interest in watching. Will be cancelling my subscription if I am unable to access the US stuff.