Options

How do you renew a passport when you've lost your birth certificate?

toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you've not renewed your passport in years and can't find your birth certificate - also do not have a photo ID driving licence. I know you can get a duplicate birth certificate, but this requires some sort of photo ID! Catch 22.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    If you've not renewed your passport in years and can't find your birth certificate - also do not have a photo ID driving licence. I know you can get a duplicate birth certificate, but this requires some sort of photo ID! Catch 22.

Any suggestions?

The photo booth at your local supermarket.
    Why is this such a problem?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need any ID to get a birth certificate........it's a public document

Anyone can buy any birth certificate

That's why a birth certificate isn't proof of identity
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Any suggestions?

I renewed a passport that was 9 years expired, All you need is new pictures and if you have changed in appearance then someone to sign them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I renewed a passport that was 9 years expired, All you need is new pictures and if you have changed in appearance then someone to sign them

Thanks, I did not know that. I thought they required other proof also. So even if you've moved address, all that they require is the old passport and new photo's (signed)?
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I did not know that. I thought they required other proof also. So even if you've moved address, all that they require is the old passport and new photo's (signed)?

Yes, I renewed my expired (by about 6 years) passport and had also moved address. I just sent it all of with my new photos which I did get countersigned to be on the safe side although I think I was still recognisable even if the old ones were 16 years old.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember since 2012 the new Biometric Passports require a DNA sample , you'll have to visit your GP for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Remember since 2012 the new Biometric Passports require a DNA sample , you'll have to visit your GP for this.

A DNA test?! Are you sure - what for a renewal of a UK passport? I have never heard of that. What has a biometric photo got to do with DNA. You are having a laugh, surely.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, maybe.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I renewed my daughters passport a couple of years ago, they wrote back and asked for a copy of her birth certificate, though it wasn't mentioned on a renewal that it was needed, they might just ask for a copy when the application is received. Perhaps it was because she was still a child, or just on a certain number of applications they may do additional checks.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What has a biometric photo got to do with DNA.

What on earth do you think bio-metric means?!

The microchip contains a metric of your biology, so of course you have to have your DNA taken. They usually perform a groin swab, though you don't have to remove your underwear or anything like that, it's just taken from where your leg meets the torso.

You're also not allowed to leave until they've 'processed' it, which essentially means 'developing' your DNA like a photo and converting it into microchip data.

The passport with the actual microchip will arrive 4-6 weeks later, but the important thing is generating the biometric data out of your DNA sample before you leave. Obviously if the DNA they've taken from you proves not to be yours (because you're really an imposter or identity thief), you won't be leaving at all, but if it's a normal application you'll be out within four hours.
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member

The microchip contains a metric of your biology, so of course you have to have your DNA taken. They usually perform a groin swab, though you don't have to remove your underwear or anything like that, it's just taken from where your leg meets the torso.

You're also not allowed to leave until they've 'processed' it, which essentially means 'developing' your DNA like a photo and converting it into microchip data.

The passport with the actual microchip will arrive 4-6 weeks later, but the important thing is generating the biometric data out of your DNA sample before you leave. Obviously if the DNA they've taken from you proves not to be yours (because you're really an imposter or identity thief), you won't be leaving at all, but if it's a normal application you'll be out within four hours.

Complete drivel.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    arfcdf wrote: »
    Complete drivel.

You are Steven Hauk and I claim my five dong.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Crikey - April 1st has arrived early this year!

What a load of absolute bollocks! They take two DNA samples - one by passing a tube up 5 inches up your urethra, the other by sticking a 2 foot long wooden spoon up your jacksey - everyone knows that - or should!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you need a birth certificate for a passport? I'd never even seen my birth certificate until about ten years ago (when I was in nearly 40) and my Mum found it while clearing out some of her old paperwork.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Why do you need a birth certificate for a passport? I'd never even seen my birth certificate until about ten years ago (when I was in nearly 40) and my Mum found it while clearing out some of her old paperwork.

Because it includes your date of birth, and they're not just going to take your word for it.

Also, the country you were born in, and/or the nationality of your parents, are relevant to whether you're entitled to a particular country's passport.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Irish one just asks you to send the old passport.

Although first time application allows student cards as photo ID.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Because it includes your date of birth, and they're not just going to take your word for it.......................

They don't have to; the DOB is on the old passport. At some stage they issued the first passport, and had the birth certificate then.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    They don't have to; the DOB is on the old passport. At some stage they issued the first passport, and had the birth certificate then.

Yes, but if the poster I was replying to has never had their birth certificate then presumably they haven't applied for a passport either.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, but if the poster I was replying to has never had their birth certificate then presumably they haven't applied for a passport either.

Wasn't that the poster who said :
    "I'd never even seen my birth certificate until about ten years ago (when I was in nearly 40)"
    ? Post 15
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Well my brand new Electronic passport required no such DNA.

I think the chip only contains the same info that is readable in the passport

How does such drivel get believed?
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    Well my brand new Electronic passport required no such DNA.

I think the chip only contains the same info that is readable in the passport

How does such drivel get believed?

I'm pretty sure that Centaurion is having a laugh with us :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to get my application & photo countersigned by somebody who knew me (for 2 years) and was a professional.

Didn't need birth certificate - just a photo
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can't
    but its not all bad
    there are some lovely places within the UK you can go on holiday
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any suggestions?

If you don't have your original you can ask for a new one, it costs about £10. You will need another form of ID. An out of date passport is valid as long as the photo matches your face.

You 'may' be asked to visit the issuing office, but this is less and less likely.