Windows 10 - free for the first year

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft have just announced that Windows 10 will be free for the first year of its release for both Windows 8 and Windows 7 users!

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Well that sounds like a great deal! I bet my dad will get it for his Surface if it's free.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cortana for PC. Very natural and sophisticated Siri killer? lol
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse the ignorance but what happened to Windows 9 lol
    Forum Member

I think they went against Windows 9 as it would cause some problems with backwards compatibility with old Windows 95/98 era software. Hard to believe that there are people still using such old software, but there ya go. Sometimes the old versions are the best :p I think another reason is that it might cause problems in Germany if you asked for Windows 9, as it would sound like their reaction to Windows 8 :D Oh yes and 7, 8, 9 :p
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I have Window 7 - I'll give Windows 10 a shot for free! :D
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I have Window 7 - I'll give Windows 10 a shot for free! :D

Well it looks decent. Taking the best stuff from win 8 and 7. About time they offered some free upgrades too.
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    From what I gather it will be free to Windows 8\8.1 users from the start & then free to Windows 7 users after 1 year.

Tried watching the live stream but it kept jumping & buffering every couple of minutes, I hope it will be free for life & not free for 1 year & then charged a subscription for further use as that wont help adoption.

Just waiting for the updated consumer preview build to be released.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    From what I gather it will be free to Windows 8\8.1 users from the start & then free to Windows 7 users after 1 year.

Tried watching the live stream but it kept jumping & buffering every couple of minutes, I hope it will be free for life & not free for 1 year & then charged a subscription for further use as that wont help adoption.

Just waiting for the updated consumer preview build to be released.

No, it's during the first year it's out it will be free to all Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users to upgrade too.

Windows 7 users don't have to wait a year, that would be silly.

It would also be silly to then charge a subscription after the first year to everyone who upgraded for free, that would put people off. They're doing this is to encourage everyone to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    No, it's during the first year it's out it will be free to all Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users to upgrade too.

Windows 7 users don't have to wait a year, that would be silly.

It would also be silly to then charge a subscription after the first year to everyone who upgraded for free, that would put people off. They're doing this is to encourage everyone to upgrade to Windows 10.

Cheers for clearing that up, I know they were thinking about a subscription model for Windows 10 so it good they are not going that way.

As I mentioned the live stream was jumping about the place so I missed some of what they were saying.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's mostly a marketing move designed to say "hey, the new new version of Windows isn't just an upgrade to Windows 8, it's a huge upgrade. A whole two numbers different".

Another theory is that they are now numbering in binary so this is Window 2. This will be followed by Windows 11 and Windows 100.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    Cheers for clearing that up, I know they were thinking about a subscription model for Windows 10 so it good they are not going that way.

As I mentioned the live stream was jumping about the place so I missed some of what they were saying.

Will let's not jump the gun. When it comes to the subscription based idea after a year, that was just a guess from me that they would not be doing that.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    IAnother theory is that they are now numbering in binary so this is Window 2. This will be followed by Windows 11 and Windows 100.

So if they were naming in binary does that mean Windows 8 was Windows 1? God, it feels like the 1980s all over again :D I've never seen Windows 1 or Windows 2 from the 80s in action, but I saw screenshots of them and let me say they made Windows 8 look slick and sexy in comparison :p Is there anyone on here who has used those antiques?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit surprised to hear that it will be free, i thought it may have been to buyers of new machines, but not to Windows 7 users.
    I could have stuck with windows 7 and had a free update instead of paying out for 8, ok I did not pay out for it, someone else did, but you know what I mean.

I am happy with 8.1 to be honest, it does what I want, i may download windows 10 just to make my claim on it, but not sure if I would install it.

For all these people who are going to try windows 10, make sure they have made rescue disks from their computers, just in case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting it to either be free or a small upgrade fee for Windows 8 users, but not free for Windows 7 users too.

It seems MS are really keen to upgrade everyone to the one platform.
    Forum Member
    Will let's not jump the gun. When it comes to the subscription based idea after a year, that was just a guess from me that they would not be doing that.

True but like you say it would be a silly idea if suddenly after 1 year Windows pop up a message saying to continue using please subscribe.

I just hope they allow a easy way to upgrade by doing a fresh install instead of over the top, if it is free then I would imagine there would be ISO's available & keys so you can get the Windows 10 version of what you are using, in my case Windows 8.1 x64 pro to Windows 10 x64 pro.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a very good move. Will take the adoption rate off the chart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if they were naming in binary does that mean Windows 8 was Windows 1? God, it feels like the 1980s all over again :D I've never seen Windows 1 or Windows 2 from the 80s in action, but I saw screenshots of them and let me say they made Windows 8 look slick and sexy in comparison :p Is there anyone on here who has used those antiques?

Windows 3.1 i used, but not that much, my mate had a 386 machine with 3.1 on and i mucked about with it, i had a Amiga then. But i never used 1.1. 3.1 was bad enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I think this is a very good move. Will take the adoption rate off the chart.

May do, i know people who still uses windows 7 and have said they will not update to 8 or 10 for that matter.. A mate of mine who is into gaming decided to buy windows 8 when we updated his machine as a upgrade to windows 7. Last year he stuck windows 7 back on it.

I also know a lot of XP users, so they will still be using XP unless they buy a new machine.

Also, how many people are going to be bothered to update thie OS for fear that it will go belly up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    May do, i know people who still uses windows 7 and have said they will not update to 8 or 10 for that matter.. A mate of mine who is into gaming decided to buy windows 8 when we updated his machine as a upgrade to windows 7. Last year he stuck windows 7 back on it.

I also know a lot of XP users, so they will still be using XP unless they buy a new machine.

Also, how many people are going to be bothered to update thie OS for fear that it will go belly up.

Well with the new gaming features coming to Windows 10, he may need to rethink it :p
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens after the 1 year then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In what way? To those who did upgrade during the first year or those who didn't?
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way? To those who did upgrade during the first year or those who didn't?

For those who did do we get the option to downgrade then or what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with the new gaming features coming to Windows 10, he may need to rethink it :p

What new gaming features, Do you really think game producers will drop windows 7 and 8 in the next couple of years? I don't.

The one reason he dropped back to 7 was because some of his games was not working as well in 8.

You will then have to pay a yearly subscription. :)
    I say that in fun, but I just had a look at some tech news sites around the net and some people do think that may happen.

I would stay as I am if that was to happen and start using Linux software more for video editing. The only problem I have is that I paid nearly £200 for my editing software and not using it would seem wasted.

Maybe i should go for MAC instead, if only they did not use Intel chips.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were changing to a subscription model, they would say so, there's nothing to gain by tricking people into W10. The upgrade to W10 will be free if you do so within a year since the release of W10.