Options

Silent witness cast list

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Can anyone explain to me why Liz Carr has, what appears to be, special star billing on the cast list of the new series of Silent Witness?
Her character is no more important than any of the others.
The cast list starts with her name, and then the rest of the cast in order of appearance.
Why can't she just appear in the list in order of appearance, like everyone else?
Before anyone accuses me of being "anti disabled" I am not at all, as I have several relatives who are disabled.
It just puzzles me as to why she appears to be more important than the rest of the cast.
I would have thought that if anyone deserved that special mention in the cast list, it would be the main character played by Emilia Fox, as she has been it it so long.

Comments

• Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think someone explained it pretty well in the main Silent Witness thread. The other three regulars are listed in the titles so it means she has 4th billing.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Liz Carr is the 4th regular, and has been on the show longer than Richard Lintern, in all fairness she should probably get her name on the opening titles with Lintern, Caves and Fox.

The special billing in the End Credits recognises the importance of her role and is most likely to be a compensatory measure negotiated by her agent - she get's top billing in the end roll precisely because she doesn't get a billing in the opening titles.

It's nothing whatsoever to do with her having a disability, so the OP can rest easy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have already stated that I have no problem with her being disabled, and did not think that was the reason for her billing.
    Now it has been explained, it makes perfect sense, and I think she should indeed get the same billing, as the rest of the regulars.
    I actually quite like the character, and think Liz portrays her perfectly.
    The billing just puzzled me, that's all.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the billing looks odd and she should definitely be listed in the opening titles!
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    I don't like the character, Clarissa at all - nothing to do with the actress (except that I don't think she is particularly good) - just that the role seems superfluous. Count the time she is on screen and it's barely worth it.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    I don't like the character, Clarissa at all - nothing to do with the actress (except that I don't think she is particularly good) - just that the role seems superfluous. Count the time she is on screen and it's barely worth it.

Probably the BBC trying to be PC.
    I do like the character myself and I like Liz in the role. Regarding the amount of time she spends on the screen, Richard Lintern isn't in it as much as I think he should be. I think Liz's name should appear in the opening credits.