Options

Family Affairs: Reruns?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
Forum Member
Does anyone remember the old C5 soap Family Affairs? I used to watch it religiously for the first couple of years with the Hart family right up to when the entire lot of them were blown up on a boat. :D

I started watching it again in it's last couple of years before it got the chop. All the story lines involving Pete Callen were brilliant. He was such a brilliant villain!

I'd love to see it again. I wonder why it's never been repeated anywhere? I'm quite surprised that a repeat run has never surfaced on Fiver or on one of the Satellite channels.

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rerunning old soaps never seems to work. There are so many ongoing committments of soap fans with the number of episodes per week of the ongoing big hitters.

Even these never get repeated so Family Affairs, that had a tiny audience to start with is probably not going to happen,

There could be a niche for a Soap Channel to air things like this and some of the top old Aussie soaps (eg A Country Practice).

However, given the zillion channels that survive the fact that nobody seems to have decided that a soap channel would get an audience probably answers your question.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I used to watch it back in the day... it was probably the first soap I watched... I was only about 10 :p I remember the Hart family getting blown up... and Pete and Dave and Sadie and Benji and Yasmin... it was good while it lasted :)
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Family Affairs pretty much every evening during the first couple of years with the Hart family.

It went a bit weird when they decided to blow the entire family up!! I gradually gave up watching after that.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I watched Family Affairs pretty much every evening during the first couple of years with the Hart family.

It went a bit weird when they decided to blow the entire family up!! I gradually gave up watching after that.
    Same here, I stopped watching after that as well.

It was well done the explosion from what I can remember, but I was too invested in the characters by that point. It wasn't the same after.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know whether ratings improved after they blew up the Hart family and relaunched it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Affairs was always my favourite soap - watched it more or less from day one till the bitter end, because it was like 'my secret', no-one else apart from about one person I knew watched it, and it never really got the recognition it deserved...if they did re-reuns, I'd most certainly watch again, but like a previous poster said, they'd probably need a dedicated soap channel for it...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother watched this religiously. I also quite liked it as well. I suppose they'll only rerun this if there's enough interest being shown in it.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love this show.

In fact I met Pete Callan (cant remember his real name) about 4 months ago. Really lovely bloke.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this show.

In fact I met Pete Callan (cant remember his real name) about 4 months ago. Really lovely bloke.

was it david easter? the fella that used to be in brookside? i think im right in saying he was also the first husband of loose woman denise welch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ppaupy wrote: »
    was it david easter? the fella that used to be in brookside? i think im right in saying he was also the first husband of loose woman denise welch.

Ahh David Easter...that's his name.

And yes, I think I read somewhere he was married to Denise.

He was a really nice bloke and nothing like his Pete Callan character (I know, I know...Pete's not real! :rolleyes:)

Shame they dont show reruns of this show. Used to love the Hart Family. In fact, one of the daughters (again, am terrible with names) does a lot of adverts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nugsey05 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the old C5 soap Family Affairs? I used to watch it religiously for the first couple of years with the Hart family right up to when the entire lot of them were blown up on a boat. :D

I started watching it again in it's last couple of years before it got the chop. All the story lines involving Pete Callen were brilliant. He was such a brilliant villain!

I'd love to see it again. I wonder why it's never been repeated anywhere? I'm quite surprised that a repeat run has never surfaced on Fiver or on one of the Satellite channels.

Adam Faith had something to say about CH5 before he departed this particular coil, and didn't mince his words. I have to agree with him on this. Wonder what happened to Jack Doherty who used to have a chat show late at night. I 've only watched one series called 'Family Affair' but it wasn't the CH5 soap. but a US comedy of that name back in late 60s, which starred Film actor, Brian Keith who played a well off bachelor who looked after his two children with a valet called French [played by Sebastian Cabot]. mildly amusing.
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Ahh David Easter...that's his name.

And yes, I think I read somewhere he was married to Denise.

He was a really nice bloke and nothing like his Pete Callan character (I know, I know...Pete's not real! :rolleyes:)

Shame they dont show reruns of this show. Used to love the Hart Family. In fact, one of the daughters (again, am terrible with names) does a lot of adverts

I'm quite good with names and I think you mean Cordelia Bugeja who played Melanie Hart - it was her and Roy's wedding say that went kaboom!

I liked Family Affairs during the Hart's reign and after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbrum1984 wrote: »
    I'm quite good with names and I think you mean Cordelia Bugeja who played Melanie Hart - it was her and Roy's wedding say that went kaboom!

I liked Family Affairs during the Hart's reign and after.

Yes that rings a bell!

I've only seen her and Mr. Hart in other tv stuff. Havent seen any other members of the family since...
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, given the zillion channels that survive the fact that nobody seems to have decided that a soap channel would get an audience probably answers your question.

Well, there was Sky Soap, but it was only ancient American soaps like Peyton Place, Emmerdale Farm from the 70s and Take The High Road from the 80s.

The thing about Family Affairs though is it was never popular when it was first on, hence the constant revamps, cast changes and even moving where the show was set! I beleive they were planning on changing the name just before it was axed as well. I can't see repeats doing too well when not many people watched it first time round!
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Yes that rings a bell!

I've only seen her and Mr. Hart in other tv stuff. Havent seen any other members of the family since...

The twins Holly and Duncan (the original actor) went on to Casualty and Holby City respectively and the girl who played Holly was in an episode of Love Soup. Other than that - I can't remember any Harts in other stuff.

Although the guy who played Annie Hart's Dad was Billy Walker in Corrie (way before my time!) and went on to be the King patriarch in Emmerdale.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I remember the woman who faked her daughter having cancer, and also there was a love triangle a hairdresser called Yasmin and another girl called Geri was involved in and you had to vote which girl would the guy pick.

The old Brookside set is up for sale. Maybe it could return, or maybe family Affiars could be filmed from there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357884/Slice-soap-history-For-Rent-Brookside-redevelopment-allows-fans-plot.html
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavegirl79 wrote: »
    Family Affairs was always my favourite soap - watched it more or less from day one till the bitter end, because it was like 'my secret', no-one else apart from about one person I knew watched it, and it never really got the recognition it deserved...if they did re-reuns, I'd most certainly watch again, but like a previous poster said, they'd probably need a dedicated soap channel for it...

I think a dedicated Soap channel would be aa good idea
    There used to be channel called Granada Plus which showed old epidodes of Brookie, Emmerdale , & Corrie at weekends. They went back a long way it was good Sat morning telly