Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Result result result!

i flashed my Experia SP with the Australian generic software (Android 4.3) and I now have 4G!

Woohoo!

Only problem is, it swears a lot and is pi$$ed by lunchtime!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Yes the coverage is really odd. The phone picked up a 4G signal on the train at Hillington. There seems to be coverage near the SECC but I wasn't able to go there to see how good or bad it was.

The city centre seems to be devoid of 4G. I would expected Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street to have been priority areas but sadly there was none what so ever.

Around the Hillington area is where I've seen the strongest 4G signal in Glasgow. I also picked up a 4G signal in Tesco's car park at Silverburn today, this area is definitely not on the coverage map at all, but signal does seem exceptionally patchy in Glasgow at present.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first tried 3 and was on PAYG, I found that my Android devices (Nexus 7 & Samsung Galaxy Tab) didn't trigger tethering warnings. My Windows PC did almost straight away. I'm on the OnePlan now so can't verify if that's still the case.

On the one plan windows tethering does trigger traffic sense straight away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JFC wrote: »
    Result result result!

i flashed my Experia SP with the Australian generic software (Android 4.3) and I now have 4G!

Woohoo!

Only problem is, it swears a lot and is pi$$ed by lunchtime!

So that confirms a rom upgrade is needed for the unbranded handsets which are still not receiving 4G.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I had a handset contract with Three. I'm closing that account and number, and I've now got a One Plan sim only for £15 (not £20! woo). I noticed my old account was activated the first day of the activations. My One Plan sim must have been activated at some point this week.

I went out in Bristol to test it...

This was my location...

http://i.imgur.com/NE1NCKd.png

This was my view...

http://i.imgur.com/g4xxIEf.jpg

...and these were my speeds... ;)

http://i.imgur.com/q98XYqf.png

Love Three. Very impressed! Just hope that their coverage checker isn't showing their final 4G coverage for Bristol. It's very patchy. However, on my old contract phone SIM, I couldn't get a 4G signal in Brislington before. With the same phone (iPhone 5S), and now my One Plan SIM Only, I can now get 4G in Brislington, Bristol. I think the coverage map is incorrect at the moment. It shows 4G areas, but it seems to favour the stronger 3G signal.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Could just be different routes being taken for certain VPNs or bandwidth issues on the VPN side.

Everything seems to be going through TInet (owned by someone called GTT now apparently), same hops until it gets into the TInet network and then onward.

Comparing a trace between 3 and my home connection, the same transit provider is used after TInet into my employer's network (my employer is a large network equipment manufacturer and operates their own global network, I heavily doubt they're having problems with congestion on their side). So it's either 3 or TInet, I'm more inclined to blame congestion or shaping on the 3 network as it's far more likely.
    The reason Three don't provide specific measurements for TrafficSense is that is varies all the time. Basically they will allocate a certain amount of the mast bandwidth to tethering, say 50Mbps. Once that 50Mbps is gone connections start to slow because the tethering pool is being fully utilised. If you're in an area where you'r the only person tethering you'll have the entire 50Mbps to yourself, if you're in an area where 20 people are tethering, that leaves 2.5Mbps each.

This helps my point - you are saying this, but where did you get it from? If this is indeed true, why are 3 unable to publish this? There's no reason at all why they can't publish their methodology, even if it is heavily specific to what cell you're on. I also don't see how would be a mean feat to have some sort of page that can tell whether you're being subject to trafficsense based on looking up who you are/where you are. Whatever is doing the shaping has to be aware of things on a cellular level.

I'm able to easily find out how traffic management works on other providers, 3 is not special.
    Those figures are random figures mind and aren't actually used. That said it is odd how I can 60-70Mbps solid and then tether and I am right down to 3Mbps. Seems like TraffcSense ratios are being too heavy handed.

I wish I could get 60-70Mbps untethered, my personal best is 20Mbps in Reading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that confirms a rom upgrade is needed for the unbranded handsets which are still not receiving 4G.

Pretty much if you want it now and don't want to wait for Three to fanny about.

What phone do you have?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey4020 wrote: »
    Around the Hillington area is where I've seen the strongest 4G signal in Glasgow. I also picked up a 4G signal in Tesco's car park at Silverburn today, this area is definitely not on the coverage map at all, but signal does seem exceptionally patchy in Glasgow at present.

Will check out Silverburn as im there once every couple of months and run a proper speed test. I really dont spend any time in Hillington. I see there is coverage out at the Peoples Palace which is worth a visit.

4G in Glasgow area seems to be a work in progress......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flashed my Sony Xperia sp with the official android 4.3 update and the lte options now there in the menu. So I switched to lte, lte came up on my phone but signal is virtually non existent and speed is slow for 4G

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/743225131

Switched back and H+ and full signal came back. Quite disappointed now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flashed my Sony Xperia sp with the official android 4.3 update and the lte options now there in the menu. So I switched to lte, lte came up on my phone but signal is virtually non existent and speed is slow for 4G

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/743225131

Switched back and H+ and full signal came back. Quite disappointed now.

I have been getting bad speeds for the last hour (after I did the same as you) but I am getting 28mb down and 14mb up now. Are you right on the edge? I am about 100mtrs from a 4G cell

Bare in mind I will downloading all me apps for the first hour
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 4G signal you get there is coming from the 4G mast at Montpelier.

I'm guessing 4G doesn't work in Cabot Circus because the 3G signal is too strong.

Always the free 'The Cloud' Wi-Fi available in certain spots of Cabot Circus, if you don't mind web pages loading at a snails pace. :D
  • mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Yes, it'll be because you're too far away from a mast.

5 bars of 3 3G will probably be faster than 1 bar of 3 4G.

2Mbps is not good for 4G :S

sorry, I meant 20mbps ( 2MB/s )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Everything seems to be going through TInet (owned by someone called GTT now apparently), same hops until it gets into the TInet network and then onward.

Comparing a trace between 3 and my home connection, the same transit provider is used after TInet into my employer's network (my employer is a large network equipment manufacturer and operates their own global network, I heavily doubt they're having problems with congestion on their side). So it's either 3 or TInet, I'm more inclined to blame congestion or shaping on the 3 network as it's far more likely.

This helps my point - you are saying this, but where did you get it from? If this is indeed true, why are 3 unable to publish this? There's no reason at all why they can't publish their methodology, even if it is heavily specific to what cell you're on. I also don't see how would be a mean feat to have some sort of page that can tell whether you're being subject to trafficsense based on looking up who you are/where you are. Whatever is doing the shaping has to be aware of things on a cellular level.

I'm able to easily find out how traffic management works on other providers, 3 is not special.

I wish I could get 60-70Mbps untethered, my personal best is 20Mbps in Reading.

There website does explain that in the TrafficSense docs. I'm just rewording that.

I've just connected to my VPN and found slow speeds. Wonder what is causing all of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better despite 1 bar of signal on 4G :)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/743275127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    sorry, I meant 20mbps ( 2MB/s )

Sorry to be pedantic but 20Megabits (Mb) is actually 2.5Megabytes (MB) as there are 8 bits to a byte.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My LG G2 sim free with a 3 sim :

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/cc3333cc/2014-02-21-13-14-24_zpsxhjzdjcq.png

And again with an O2 sim :

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/cc3333cc/2014-02-21-13-17-56_zpsefbzoixb.png

Even tho Three sell the LG G2 they dont even have it as an option to select as your phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/cc3333cc/2014-02-21-13-14-24_zpsxhjzdjcq.png

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/cc3333cc/2014-02-21-13-17-56_zpsefbzoixb.png

Even tho Three sell the LG G2 they dont even have it as an option to select as your phone.

Bloody annoying isn't it?

You know there is a 4g signal out there, you know all 3 sim cards are supposed to be activated by now...

...yet whenever you put your 3 sim card in, the 4g option dissapears completely!
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody annoying isn't it?

You know there is a 4g signal out there, you know all 3 sim cards are supposed to be activated by now...

...yet whenever you put your 3 sim card in, the 4g option dissapears completely!

Yup! My HTC One was bought unbranded. Im going t try flashing a different regions rom to see if it works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    Yup! My HTC One was bought unbranded. Im going t try flashing a different regions rom to see if it works.

I would do that on my HTC. But its still under warranty and I don't wanna risk it.

Plus I'd probably brick it.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people have to understand that a lot of masts have not been upgraded even in the largest cities like London.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think we are looking at Late 2016/Early 2017 till all the existing MBNL masts are upgraded to 4G. Plus the building of new masts for 2300MHz [If Three buys any] and 800MHz.
  • Dundee1Dundee1 Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I managed to get 4G on Three in Dundee for the first time today. It only seems to be available in the city centre area. I managed to get 36 meg download speed which I thought was impressive.
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    people have to understand that a lot of masts have not been upgraded even in the largest cities like London.

They need to hurry up then, they must be having far too many tea breaks ;-)
  • ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Have you checked the coverage maps? Coverage is patchy in Central Bristol.

Went into Cabot etc yesterday, hung onto H+ mainly, only got 4G when travelling on A38 through Stokes Croft --> Horfield. Pretty good speeds mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »

I have a Vodafone lg2, i have the option to select LTE. I had to remove the latest updates to the LTEconfig app to get the option. There was a LG update which removed it.

I can confirm that LTE works, i was in London today and got 4g.
This discussion has been closed.