U2 releases album on iTunes for free

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    So how will this affect its sales?

as most people are able to get it legally for free, it will greatly reduce sales. however some fans will also want a cd copy, and they may do what radiohead did with rainbows and put a deluxe edition out that has extra tracks and stuff

to some degree it's not that different from what happens with most albums, in that they are available to download for free before the album is legally for sale, so people can download without paying. the main difference here is it's legally available free, so those with morals who opt not to pirate albums and pay for them instead, still get the album free

Does the free download count towards sales?

no, as they aren't sales if it's free. it doesn't qualify for most charts either as it's not sold

If so then isnt this instantly the biggest selling album in history?

no, as not a single person has legally bought it yet.

but it appears to be the most distributed album in history. it would be interesting to see the states of how many people actually downloaded it in the first 24 hours and in the first week. they certainly beat the previous record held by prince who distributed tens of millions of copies of 20ten on cd with various newspapers and magazines in 2010. he still holds the record for physical copies however

and on that note, knowing how much the daily mail paid for his first free cd album, planet earth, gives an indication as to how much apple may have paid for this stunt. to pay a few million to launch a couple of new phones and watch and generate all this publicity, is probably worth it. it also gives u2 a bit publicity boost so they may have considered that in negotiating a fee. I did hear last week u2 would have an album out soon, but didn't realise this soon. I also heard they would tour next year so this is good publicity for that. if you consider how much u2 may have made if they album was sold normally, these days it wouldn't be that much, so apple could have paid maybe one or two million for this. possibly less

even though I had news last week about an album, which was a surprise, I was still surprised by this. I think they pulled off a nice trick. the albums not bad either
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    as most people are able to get it legally for free, it will greatly reduce sales. however some fans will also want a cd copy, and they may do what radiohead did with rainbows and put a deluxe edition out that has extra tracks and stuff

to some degree it's not that different from what happens with most albums, in that they are available to download for free before the album is legally for sale, so people can download without paying. the main difference here is it's legally available free, so those with morals who opt not to pirate albums and pay for them instead, still get the album free

no, as they aren't sales if it's free. it doesn't qualify for most charts either as it's not sold

no, as not a single person has legally bought it yet.

but it appears to be the most distributed album in history. it would be interesting to see the states of how many people actually downloaded it in the first 24 hours and in the first week. they certainly beat the previous record held by prince who distributed tens of millions of copies of 20ten on cd with various newspapers and magazines in 2010. he still holds the record for physical copies however

and on that note, knowing how much the daily mail paid for his first free cd album, planet earth, gives an indication as to how much apple may have paid for this stunt. to pay a few million to launch a couple of new phones and watch and generate all this publicity, is probably worth it. it also gives u2 a bit publicity boost so they may have considered that in negotiating a fee. I did hear last week u2 would have an album out soon, but didn't realise this soon. I also heard they would tour next year so this is good publicity for that. if you consider how much u2 may have made if they album was sold normally, these days it wouldn't be that much, so apple could have paid maybe one or two million for this. possibly less

even though I had news last week about an album, which was a surprise, I was still surprised by this. I think they pulled off a nice trick. the albums not bad either

Sorry but you shouldn't be on DS. That response was far too intelligent ;-):D
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it was rumoured a while back, that somebody big was going to do something similar to Beyonce and just drop an album out of thin air on Itunes...it was rumoured as well that they/them would be a major act, possibly bigger than Beyonce.

I wonder if this is actually it.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to it a few times today (big U2 fan) and I find it much better than the 'No Line on the Horizon' album
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Utter bo***cks mate! Clearly haven't listened.
    And have you listened to the latest one before judgement?

They haven't made a decent album since Achtung Baby... and even that album isn't great by their previous standards. I was a huge U2 fan in their heyday, but I can't stand the drivel they've been knocking out for the last 20 years. It's utter shite.

There is nothing that could convince me to listen to their latest offering. They should have called it a day a very long time ago.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I quite liked their last album 'No Line, but this is a right pile of shite.

Over-hectic and over-produced, as if compensating for the lack of decent songs. No wonder they're offloading it for nowt.

Once, bands did publicity stunts for the album. Now the album is the publicity stunt.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Just to save me the hassle...is it the overproduced pretentious bollocks I expect it will be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I know it was rumoured a while back, that somebody big was going to do something similar to Beyonce and just drop an album out of thin air on Itunes...it was rumoured as well that they/them would be a major act, possibly bigger than Beyonce.

I wonder if this is actually it.

i think the rumour you are thinking of was mariah carey who had some similar issues of not getting the record company to accept the album, so was gonna do a "surprise" release. they were going to do this but then changed their minds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    They haven't made a decent album since Achtung Baby... and even that album isn't great by their previous standards. I was a huge U2 fan in their heyday, but I can't stand the drivel they've been knocking out for the last 20 years. It's utter shite.

There is nothing that could convince me to listen to their latest offering. They should have called it a day a very long time ago.

i would never say i'm a u2 fan but i have all their albums plus loads more and seen them live a few times. i thought the last album was prettty decent, especially considering how long they've been together and the crap some artists release decades after their hey day. i've just listened to the new album a couple of times in full and a few tracks once or twice on top and it seems like a pretty decent album and a grower

that's not to say it's a brilliant album, it doesn't have any real stand out catchy tracks that i'd say would be hit singles, but it's not bad at all and i've heard a lot worse from older artists trying to keep going

i think they must have realised that if this album went on sale normally, sales wouldn't be fantastic. so to do a deal with apple like this would give them a huge profile raise, and the money would probably be more than they could get through a normal release. even if apple gave them no money, the money made from cd sales, ticket sales and an overall profile boost would be more than they probably would have made selling it normally. i wouldn't be surprised if some of their other albums enter the charts next week as a result of this promo, such as a hits album
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im still amazed over how old skool u2 this album is!
    I always thought theyd do a back to their roots album, but it listening its like its ca 1982 again. Its like a re- introdution of them to the mass.

My fav bit of the album is not the songs. Its that the band is back. Their mojo is back. Its back to being honest, and very raw. The punk/ rock they started off with.
    Bonos voice has never been better and his poetic political honest lyrics are more in line with the band.

Im very curious to her the sister album songs of experience. Thinking a bit about Zooropa/Pop hearing their talking about it.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Yep been there, but it just shows purchased with no option to download.
    Log out of your itunes account.
    The button will change from purchased to 'free'.
    Click that and it'll ask you to log back in, then it'll download.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i think they must have realised that if this album went on sale normally, sales wouldn't be fantastic. so to do a deal with apple like this would give them a huge profile raise, and the money would probably be more than they could get through a normal release. even if apple gave them no money, the money made from cd sales, ticket sales and an overall profile boost would be more than they probably would have made selling it normally. i wouldn't be surprised if some of their other albums enter the charts next week as a result of this promo, such as a hits album

Yes, I think the main reason for releasing Songs of Innocence in this way is simply to (re)promote the U2 brand. And I suspect there will be a major tour to follow. As U2 are not prolific and leave years between albums I guess they have to keep reintroducing themselves.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    Im still amazed over how old skool u2 this album is!
    I always thought theyd do a back to their roots album, but it listening its like its ca 1982 again. Its like a re- introdution of them to the mass.

My fav bit of the album is not the songs. Its that the band is back. Their mojo is back. Its back to being honest, and very raw. The punk/ rock they started off with.
    Bonos voice has never been better and his poetic political honest lyrics are more in line with the band.

Im very curious to her the sister album songs of experience. Thinking a bit about Zooropa/Pop hearing their talking about it.

Tbh I only hear a couple of tracks along those lines. The whole thing is so over-produced it's hardly that much of a throwback. I'm finding it a bit annoying to listen to actually. Songs like California, Song For Someone, Every Breaking Wave etc. are sounding to me too much like retreads of everything from their 2000s albums, just not as good...

Raised By Wolves is decent though. :) It actually sounds like U2 without them needing to force that fact across to people. (The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) is the opposite to this, it's boringly obvious to me)
  • MrAnarchyMrAnarchy Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »

Achtung Baby is widely regarded as their best album ,how you can say its not great compared with their previous standards is bizarre .

They sold out after ATYCLB which was their last great album in my opinion .
    Too much money involved now ,they are a corporation and trying to pander to too many people ,I much prefer when they wouldnt be seen dead at the Grammys .

The new album is very average ,too many generic stadium type songs ,and its ridiculously overproduced .
    Normally U2 albums grow on me but this one seems to be doing the opposite.
  • substratesubstrate Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    MrAnarchy wrote: »
    Achtung Baby is widely regarded as their best album ,how you can say its not great compared with their previous standards is bizarre .

They sold out after ATYCLB

OH PLEASE. "Sold out"? What does that even mean?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ***WARNING***

Do NOT click on any links offering free downloads of the new U2 album. It leads to free downloads of the new U2 album.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh I only hear a couple of tracks along those lines. The whole thing is so over-produced it's hardly that much of a throwback. I'm finding it a bit annoying to listen to actually. Songs like California, Song For Someone, Every Breaking Wave etc. are sounding to me too much like retreads of everything from their 2000s albums, just not as good...

Raised By Wolves is decent though. :) It actually sounds like U2 without them needing to force that fact across to people. (The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) is the opposite to this, it's boringly obvious to me)

Look up their albums boy/ war/ october and you will hear where this albums comes from. The production isnt the same league as their previous work, but the band u2 is definitely the best theyve ever been. Ive missed the punk side of them.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to it three times now, some of the songs are growers but I'm afraid none stand out and there's nothing that stirs my blood. Same as the last album, unfortunately. I'll persevere a bit more. I would love to think they might come up with a few more killer songs someday, but on this evidence I'm not optimistic.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    MrAnarchy wrote: »

They sold out after ATYCLB which was their last great album in my opinion .

Oh please. What does ATYCLB even mean.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always get wary when groups spend quite a few years releasing an album. They say its because they want to spend time making it their best album ever etc, but that's usually waffle as they haven't been able to get a good album of songs together. U2's new album is just that for me, a collection of rehashed tunes from a band that just don't cut it anymore.

I used to be a big U2 fan back in the early 00's, but this new stuff sounds like sub-par U2 to me. Only decent songs I think are Every Breaking Wave and The Troubles, other than that its a very weak album from U2's standards and a disappointment after 5 years waiting. No wonder they took a big pay-cheque from iTunes so they could distribute it for free and get a ton of publicity to boot, as I can't see this album being a big seller if it was released the normal way.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I've just opened my iTunes library and it's automatically downloaded....

Anyone else had the same thing? I didn't set it up to pre-order either.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Oh please. What does ATYCLB even mean.

All That You Can't Leave Behind.

See also TJT, AB, TUF, HTBAAB, RAH and B.

Does my nut in ;-)
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote James Yorkston:

"Ok, I know this is really a First World Problem, but...

I open my iTunes folder and... U2 have taken a gigantic shite into my computer, in the form of their new record.

Delete / uncheck / skip when shuffling - but I can't delete? What? Why not? There must be a way...':p
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there is a companion album on its way called 'Songs of Experience'?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ***WARNING***

Do NOT click on any links offering free downloads of the new U2 album. It leads to free downloads of the new U2 album.

Thanks for the warning :D