Problems with rented flat

NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
Forum Member
✭✭
Can you leave a rented flat earlier than the contract if you have someone to take over your room who your flatmates would be more than happy to live with?

I've gone over my contract and I can't see anything on this. At all.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they'll lock you up.

Don't tell anyone.
  • NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol!!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

It's not clear from your OP what you mean, ie whether 'gone over' means you have looked at your rental agreement and can't see the relevant clause, or whether your fixed term has ended. So here's the answers for both. I'm assuming you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Once your initial fixed term contract comes to an end, usually 6 or 12 months, unless you have agreed another fixed term with the landlord you will go on to a periodic (rolling) contract, where you pay monthly as usual, but either party can cancel the contract giving at least 1 month's notice to end it.

If you are still in the initial fixed term no you cannot end it early unless there is a break clause, and if you do, then the landlord can claim the rent for the full period of the term.

See this Shelter Guide, Renewing and Ending a Tenancy: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/ending_a_tenancy
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It is up to your landlord as you can't just move someone in without permission

So ask them
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

It's not clear from your OP what you mean, ie whether 'gone over' means you have looked at your rental agreement and can't see the relevant clause, or whether your fixed term has ended. So here's the answers for both. I'm assuming you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Once your initial fixed term contract comes to an end, usually 6 or 12 months, unless you have agreed another fixed term with the landlord you will go on to a periodic (rolling) contract, where you pay monthly as usual, but either party can cancel the contract giving at least 1 month's notice to end it.

If you are still in the initial fixed term no you cannot end it early unless there is a break clause, and if you do, then the landlord can claim the rent for the full period of the term.

See this Shelter Guide, Renewing and Ending a Tenancy: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/ending_a_tenancy

I took that to mean 'looked over' As in looked over the contract/gone over the contract