Duets/Collaborations where the artists do not appear together in the video

Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of my bugbears where duets or collaborations are concerned is where the 2 or more artists who are involved in the duet or collaboration do not appear together in the video. They have filmed their segments separately and do not interact together at all throughout the video. There are also some occasions where they pretend the artists are there at the same time and use camera trickery to fool the audience.

If they have recorded their vocals separately then that's fine but at least appear together in the video.

A couple of examples of this are: -

Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony & Ivory. An example of a video where they pretended that they were together in the video but it's obvious they were filmed separately

Nelly & Tim McGraw - Over & Over. Split screen throughout most of the video with both artists doing the same thing but in separate places.

Comments

• Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti Labelle/Michael McDonald - On My Own
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti Labelle/Michael McDonald - On My Own

That works perfectly for the song though. I want Max Branning to sing this in EE when his latest squeeze buggers off.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shakira and Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie. They never met.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most collaborations these days
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nelly & Tim McGraw - Over & Over. Split screen throughout most of the video with both artists doing the same thing but in separate places.
    Both of them are in it though at least. In the video made for the duet Kenny Chesney and George Strait did named "Shift Work", George is never once shown in the video.

God bless you and George and Kenny and Tim and Nelly always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. To me, George should have been in that video since his presences is what made the song a duet on Kenny's album named Just Who I Am. :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Pink & Lily Allen - True Love
    They didn't record it together, either.

Daniel Merriweather & Adele - Water and a Flame
    I don't think Adele is even in the video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Kylie Minogue & Keith Washington - If You Were With Me Now

http://youtu.be/T4hb9IiMLiw
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Flo rida and sia - wild ones

Sia isnt in the video and is replaced with a lip sync model instead
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Flo rida and sia - wild ones

Sia isnt in the video and is replaced with a lip sync model instead

I really like some of Sia's music but I don't like the recent stuff, sadly.

"We Are Born" is my favourite Sia album.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vamps ft. Demi Lovato - Somebody To You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0go2nfVXFgA

Demi was added for the single version and it's quite clear their two parts of the video are recorded completely separately.

Little Mix ft. Missy Elliot - How Ya Doin'?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_HWIIKbG8

Again, Missy was added for the single version, but they don't appear together in the video. In fact, Little Mix have admitted they've never even met Missy. But they have tweeted each other!!!!!!! And that's basically the same as meeting someone these days, let's be honest.

Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko - Stay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8BRvqGCNs

Beautiful ballad, beautiful video, but the two singers never meet it seems.

Katy Perry ft. Kanye West - ET
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Sd5c4o9UM

Again, Kanye added for the single version. But not seen with Katy in the video.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Night Long
    "Pitbull, come and dance with us!"
    "No thanks, Alexandra, I'd rather just appear on that monitor over there."

Oh and that annoys me when the main artist joins in parts of the rap by miming along!
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both of them are in it though at least. In the video made for the duet Kenny Chesney and George Strait did named "Shift Work", George is never once shown in the video.

God bless you and George and Kenny and Tim and Nelly always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. To me, George should have been in that video since his presences is what made the song a duet on Kenny's album named Just Who I Am. :):):)

Yeah I found that odd, maybe George just didnt have the time.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Bowie and Bing Crosby did appear together, but if you watch Bing never once seems to acknowledge that Bowie is there despite a few cheery glances thrown his way by Dame Dave.
  • ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Mcgraw, Taylor Swift and Keith Urban - Highway Don't Care
    (Is it just me or does he only appear in videos with his wife?)

Brad Paisley and Dolly - When I Get Where I'm Going
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel B and Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes - Never Be The Same Again
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Morrison/Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellesworth wrote: »
    Tim Mcgraw, Taylor Swift and Keith Urban - Highway Don't Care
    (Is it just me or does he only appear in videos with his wife?)

Brad Paisley and Dolly - When I Get Where I'm Going
    Tim, Keith, and Taylor are all in the video for their song. Tim is playing the doctor who comes in to save the girl who crashes. Brad and Dolly both are also in the video that was made for their song too.

God bless you and all five singers always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TreyC wrote: »
    Mel B and Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes - Never Be The Same Again

You sure? I know you mean Mel C but it looks like they share a scene in one part of the video when they are doing that interpretative dance thing but it could be just clever editing.
    Anyway, at least they did meet at some stage as they performed the song together on TOTP:)

My nomination go to Lilly Allen and Pink for True Love.....a truly pointless collab with no attempt at any interaction between them in the video.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim, Keith, and Taylor are all in the video for their song. Tim is playing the doctor who comes in to save the girl who crashes. Brad and Dolly both are also in the video that was made for their song too.

God bless you and all five singers always!!! :):):)

Holly

What do you mean by 'their song', do you mean their part of the song? Also if the 3 of them do not interact together in the video then that is exactly what this thread is about where the artists do not interact at all as they filmed their segments separately. Even if they appear on screen at the same time it doesn't mean they were in the same room at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Oh. To me, they do not have to be together in the video, just as long as they are both a part of it. :):):)

God bless you and them always!!! :):):)

Holly
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    You sure? I know you mean Mel C but it looks like they share a scene in one part of the video when they are doing that interpretative dance thing but it could be just clever editing.
    Anyway, at least they did meet at some stage as they performed the song together on TOTP:)

My nomination go to Lilly Allen and Pink for True Love.....a truly pointless collab with no attempt at any interaction between them in the video.

I've always thought that that was a pointless collaboration.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Olly Murs ft Florida - Troublemaker.

I believe Florida recorded his part in the US! The version with his rap is better.
    Forum Member
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Olly Murs ft Florida - Troublemaker.

I believe Florida recorded his part in the US! The version with his rap is better.

The same probably goes for Higher by The Saturdays. He featured on that. He was in the video but I don't know if they appeared together.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ They never appeared together. Footage of the Saturdays dancing round a taxi cab from the original version of the video was edited in to Flo Rida's segment, to try and make it look like they were dancing round the same taxi he was rapping away in.
    Makson wrote: »
    Lilly Allen and Pink for True Love.....a truly pointless collab with no attempt at any interaction between them in the video.

I thought that was unintentionally funny! All the hype about their big duet and all we ended up with was less than 20 seconds of Lily singing and chopping vegetables!