Options

White Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I don't want very cold weather or snow, I've got a flipping blackbird feeding a brood in my holly bush.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Not me. My daughter has a long way to travel.

Indeed. I've got to get from Bristol to Bolton on Christmas day (and back). Snow would be a big no-no (or snow-no).
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Christmasses belong the same tradition as xmas elves, reindeer, and Santa. Baloney spouted by parents to enjoy their kids' naivety. And I stopped believing in santa a long time ago.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I am it's going to be sunny all day so no chance!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read a quote from a Met Office guy on the BBC News app today saying that there's more chance of snow on Easter Day than there is on Christmas Day. :D

True, I can remember cold snowy Easters and once even at the end of May beginning of June.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    True, I can remember cold snowy Easters and once even at the end of May beginning of June.

The Easter thing is just because it's often [at the end of March or within a couple of weeks after] and the seas around the UK are still near their coldest (unlike December) so no surprise there. But snow is far more likely at Christmas than at the end of May or early June! The June thing only happened in a few places anyway - once - and was mainly a high ground event (Buxton cricket abandoned in June due to snow!) with a few sleety showers lower down for a few hours. Can't see that happening again though.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think i've ever seen a white christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    i don't think i've ever seen a white christmas.

You have been unlucky then. According to the Met Office, "Christmas 2010 was the last white Christmas. It was extremely unusual, as not only was there snow on the ground at 83% of stations - the highest amount ever recorded - but snow or sleet also fell at 19% of stations.We also had a white Christmas in 2009, 13% of stations recorded snow or sleet falling, and 57% reported snow on the ground."

Here on the south coast there were only a few remaining patches of icy snow left over from the previous week's snowfall and it was dry, so that doesn't count as a White Christmas, in my book.

To me, you need snow on the ground during the day to count as a White Christmas, unlike betting people who seem to be happy to see one snowflake fall at 2 am with rain for the rest of the day. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

To me, you need snow on the ground during the day to count as a White Christmas, unlike betting people who seem to be happy to see one snowflake fall at 2 am with rain for the rest of the day. :D

Doesn't it have to fall on the Meteorological office roof to count for the bookies.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Doesn't it have to fall on the Meteorological office roof to count for the bookies.?

Different places around the the UK but yes, that's the general stupid idea. A blob of sleety melting snowflake in the middle of a day of incessant pouring rain would win the bet (if an official observer saw it) but obviously, it wouldn't really be a White Christmas at all. You have to pick from a list of locations, all with different odds, and bet on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    You have been unlucky then. According to the Met Office, "Christmas 2010 was the last white Christmas. It was extremely unusual, as not only was there snow on the ground at 83% of stations - the highest amount ever recorded - but snow or sleet also fell at 19% of stations.We also had a white Christmas in 2009, 13% of stations recorded snow or sleet falling, and 57% reported snow on the ground."

Here on the south coast there were only a few remaining patches of icy snow left over from the previous week's snowfall and it was dry, so that doesn't count as a White Christmas, in my book.

i remember in 2010 having some snow before and i think 09 we had a bit just before xmas. i don't think i've ever seen any snow come down on the actual day though. i always thought of a white christmas was snow coming down, not just snow being around on the ground. we usually see snow come down in jan/feb more than december.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Officially a white Xmas here in Gothenburg!!! :) Started snowing an hour ago!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started snowing in Derby, but not settling yet.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Started here in Cheshire/N Staffs about an hour ago coming down very fast.....but not settling! Doubt it will stick.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Snowing now in leafy Warwickshire. Enormous fat flakes but not sticking as been raining most of the afternoon and the ground is soaking.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowing (and sticking too) here in South Staffordshire.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Initially it was just rain here in Northants.

But just recently it's turned to snow. Very wet snow however, not the proper stuff. Most unlikely to stick, certainly not for any length of time anyway.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    Snowing (and sticking too) here in South Staffordshire.
    Don't worry. Just had a look at what was (big fat flakes) to what is now....fine sleet! About the only 'snow' that managed to stick is on vehicles. Bet it's all gone and dry as a bone by tomorrow! :D
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Don't worry. Just had a look at what was (big fat flakes) to what is now....fine sleet! About the only 'snow' that managed to stick is on vehicles. Bet it's all gone and dry as a bone by tomorrow! :D

I'd check the overnight forecast if I were you!! ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    It's sleeting here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snow coming down thick and fast now. shame it rained all day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Settled now in Derby, everything is white over and still snowing fast.
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any one Sky getting affected by the snow ? , my as no signal lol , back freeview today then
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raining in Manchester. Looks like it is in London too judging from the Arsenal match that's on now.