ok, thanks tellyaddict:D
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellyadict wrote: »
    video tape

as in Run VT

I guess most reports are digital now but the name sticks

Also referred to as VTR. A lot of Americans used to call it Ampex after the manufacturer. Interestingly it tends to be VT in most languages as it does not translate easily into Mandarin or Japanese.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I imagine the term VT will stick long after anyone even remembers what videotape was.

It's one of those archaic technical terms like dialling a phone number. When's the last time you actually did that rather than pushing buttons? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Also referred to as VTR. A lot of Americans used to call it Ampex after the manufacturer. Interestingly it tends to be VT in most languages as it does not translate easily into Mandarin or Japanese.

VTR stands for Video Tape Recorder...
  • red16vred16v Posts: 2,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aspartame wrote: »
    I imagine the term VT will stick long after anyone even remembers what videotape was.

It's one of those archaic technical terms like dialling a phone number. When's the last time you actually did that rather than pushing buttons? :)

Hardly archaic, video tape is still a very widely used medium in television production - and likely to be so for many years to come.

.. and I'm sitting beside my rather nice dial telephone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red16v wrote: »
    Hardly archaic, video tape is still a very widely used medium in television production - and likely to be so for many years to come.

Indeed. We still uses miles and miles of the stuff. The term is still in current use to describe a 'VT package' too - as in "we'll go to the interview after that last VT"...
  • red16vred16v Posts: 2,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Indeed. We still uses miles and miles of the stuff. The term is still in current use to describe a 'VT package' too - as in "we'll go to the interview after that last VT"...

.. and 'we' do too.