Options

matsui dvd players

Are these any good? I am looking to replace my main dvd player which has stopped working and am looking for a cheap player that gives good video and audio!

Comments

• Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to burst an idea, but I wouldn't touch Matsui anything with a barge pole. They are generally units made by any available manufacturer and then badged Mastui for the buying group (Currys and family). This is why you only find them in the Currys group stores. Having read What Hi-fi recently, they were raving about a Toshiba DVD that cost £20 or £30 quid (or some such keen price). They reckoned ot was nothing short of amazing for the money, ad was capable of showing up players at twice the price. Another reasonable deal I spotted in my local Tesco and Sainsbury's this week is a Sony for £49. With either of those major manufacturers, your not liable to be disappointed.
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first DVD player was a Matsui........one word for it CRAP
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oilcat wrote:
    My first DVD player was a Matsui........one word for it CRAP

Matsui stuff is nasty - who remembers those video recorders they produced in the mid-1990s - right clicky things; any control you pressed, it would click for centuries, and then proceed with the action...

Something was seriously wrong with them in scan fwd/rewind it would knacker (SP pre-recorded especially) the videos.

LP stuff seemed to escape it!

:)
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current models (225 and 227 IIRC) are fine, and are multi-region hackable (code on currys.co.uk). We sell a lot of them, and I've seen very few on the returns pile. As said, it's rebadged kit, so with Matsui you either get lucky or unlucky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I have a Matsui DVD125 and have experienced no problems with it, I bought it in 2002 and have been pleased with it since. I have had no problems at all with it. Its not the best DVD Player feature wise - but it did what I wanted and served me well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had a matsui vcr and it was fine, i then upgraded or so i thought to a silver nicam jvc one and that was a nightmare, its dead now, the matsui though is still working fine.

my neighbor has matsui dvd player, very small about a year or two old and thats fine too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I have a 227 and that is fine. Only wanted a cheap one that could play Region 4 DVD's, and even if only lasts a year £25 isnt too much to pay.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As has been said, Matsui are not a manufacturer so you can't make judgement on their products because you'll get a good manufacturer's rebadge one day and a poor one the next.

On balance they're no better than Alba group or any of the supermarket brands. As Matsui are generally more expensive than these, I can't see any reason to recommend them.