Chef Ross Burden has passed away (merged)

Comments

• stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passed? Passed what? His exams? Your door?

Oh, how I hate euphemisms! Why not just say he has died?

I am saddened that he has died so young. He always appeared to be such a happy, smiling man with a great talent.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am saddened that he has died so young. He always appeared to be such a happy, smiling man with a great talent.

Does it bloody matter?!:confused:
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People use all kinds of words and phrases to describe someone dying. Just because you hate a certain word don't mean it's wrong. If someone said to you that their partner/parent/child had passed away would you criticise them to their face?

It is sad that a young person has gone. He still had a lot to give and will be missed I'm sure by many, but mainly his family and friends.
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm with you on this one.

Sad to hear that Ross Burden has died.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DM rather slow on the uptake as the news came through last week.

Very sad to hear that Ross was unwell and that he died unexpectedly of complications. Very tragic at such a young age.

He was very successful both in the UK and NZ and I am sure there was so much more he had planned to do.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it bloody matter?!:confused:

Yes *rolleyes*
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Passed' is too vague.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bit harsh, that. There are religious beliefs inherent in the term 'passed' - that the deceased has 'crossed over', gone elsewhere. For those who believe that, the finality of 'died' may not be appropriate.

I don't see the former as a euphemism for the latter, just an expression of personal belief. And hardly something to get intolerant about.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I only saw it in the Express on Saturday morning
    Regardless of whether you say left us departed passed away or died a hugely likeable talented bloke
    No age at all my thoughts are with his family and friends
    God bless him RIP
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God almighty!!

Could you not kindly leave your respects rather than make a sing and dance about the title. Childish beyond belief.

Died sounded too harsh, so I was using a softer sounding title - Ross Burden was in my era, he's around my age and I shocked to hear of his sudden passing.

Back on topic - RIP Ross Burden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People use all kinds of words and phrases to describe someone dying. Just because you hate a certain word don't mean it's wrong. If someone said to you that their partner/parent/child had passed away would you criticise them to their face?

It is sad that a young person has gone. He still had a lot to give and will be missed I'm sure by many, but mainly his family and friends.

Absolutely Dave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an existing thread from last week :

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1988592

I only read it this morning, didn't realise he passed last week.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Ross Burden, condolences to all family and friends :(
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend lost her mother, she always corrects people when they say that though, she says I know where she is, she died.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend lost her mother, she always corrects people when they say that though, she says I know where she is, she died.

Actually I find that quite petty. Why correct them? People use all kinds of words when someone has died and 'lost' is quite possibly the most used. Some people just have to be awkward.

Back to Ross, I remember him well on RSC, as much for his good looks as well as his cooking.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sad to learn he has died, he had 'Old Hollywood' style good looks and seemed a real gentleman.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife was shocked. She liked him when he was on our Masterchef and used to watch him in Ready Steady Cook.

I wonder why the news took 11 days to come through in this era of fast instant communication?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    My wife was shocked. She liked him when he was on our Masterchef and used to watch him in Ready Steady Cook.

I wonder why the news took 11 days to come through in this era of fast instant communication?

Perhaps it wasn't released till after the funeral out of respect?

Very sad, I watched him on all sorts of cookery programmes and he was always a gentleman.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't say I'm a fan, but it's always so sad when someone so young dies.

RIP.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Actually I find that quite petty. Why correct them? People use all kinds of words when someone has died and 'lost' is quite possibly the most used. Some people just have to be awkward.

Back to Ross, I remember him well on RSC, as much for his good looks as well as his cooking.

Couldn't agree with you more. People use different euphemisms for death and 'passed away' is used more than " has died" here where I live. It does seem a bit gentler too. Don't really understand the beef the Harry Enfield "you don't wanna say that...you wanna say this" have. Its hardly offensive.

RIP Ross.....always a gent on screen and an entertaining presenter.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Believe it or THE SUN has only reported it today !!
    July 29th
    Only by virtue of the fact everyone else did it days ago
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    So sad and such a shock. Life can be so cruel. I saw him filming Ready Steady Cook once and he was great. Very personable and entertaining. I hope now that he is at peace.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member

What a shame you ruined your post with such a tactless comment.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on RSC in 2003 and, whilst my chef was James Martin, Ross was the other chef for my competitor. He was very, very nice to us all day and we had a great time. A real laugh. Very sad

I used to love Ready Steady Cook (especially when James Martin and Ross Burden were on). When they were on together they always seemed to be competing to get the votes from the ladies!

So sorry to hear this sad news - Ross was taken from us way too early at only 45.

Hopefully he's cooking up a storm with all the other great names from the culinary world who have gone before him.

RIP Ross - you will be sadly missed.