Doctor Who Fans (Part Barbara)

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    That's why I don't want to be too much of a grumpy face about it. I remember a parent on a thread here said her kid and their friends get on facebook after the show and come up with all sorts of ideas - so I don't want to sound like I think that's a bad thing. Especially as the are probably equally delighted with the revelations as they turn out. It's the thing of people who seem to exhaust themselves with it all and then complain when the "loose ends" aren't tied up. :)

Ah, I think the penny (I'm talking about my own) has finally dropped. It's less about the wild speculating, but the disappointment and complaint when the wild speculating doesn't lead to anything.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Well , just a thought. Not much of one. I have a suspicion some people may be lowering their enjoyment levels by treating it all as more of a mystery than it actually is. But maybe that's SMs fault. Go back to the days of very mild hints about the finale and forget the massive revelation hints? For example, I dont know who River is , but if the revelation is that she was his partner for a bit, that's fine. I dont need her to be omega's aunt.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    no need to be sorry, they all would have been worthy winners. Very strong category this year. :)

i have said all along Matt had no chance really of winning, unfortunately some of the peeps that follow me on twitter perhaps had higher hopes than i did, and i feel bad for them...:(

I bet he's just glad he can say he was nominated.
    Forum Member
    Anyway, on more jolly note...I had a quick look at the DS ratings thread and it seems the people there have quite a balanced view of what's going on, stripped as their conversation is of worries of whether or not eyepatch lady is a ratings killer etc. Consensus is that the dancing show is doing Who no favours. ;)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well , just a thought. Not much of one. I have a suspicion some people may be lowering their enjoyment levels by treating it all as more of a mystery than it actually is. But maybe that's SMs fault. Go back to the days of very mild hints about the finale and forget the massive revelation hints? For example, I dont know who River is , but if the revelation is that she was his partner for a bit, that's fine. I dont need her to be omega's aunt.

Maybe it's a vicious circle? River was just going to be an ordinary girl who somewhere along the way became the Doctor's missus. (As did QE1 and M. Monroe ;))

Now Moff feels that he must up the ante and make a big mystery around her.

In turn the fans up the ante even more and make up wild and unlikely speculation.

For me, and I suspect many, the first option would have been perfectly good enough. She's a great character in her own right, she doesn't need to be the Master reincarnated. It spoils it for me if everyone has to be someone else. I'd rather they were just themselves.
    Forum Member
    Hear hear. Shall I retread my feelings about not really wanting him to have got involved with Monroe? Poor dear (edit: unless, of course, he was cheering her up in a "show vincent his gallery" way maybe :o). And the QE1 stuff too - bit cheap. I have no problem wih him having had a nice loving relationship with River. Because I always took the grandfather thing literally and thought he probably did have relationships. Just ones that we didn't know much about. No, best not talk about that.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hear hear. Shall I retread my feelings about not really wanting him to have got involved with Monroe? Poor dear (edit: unless, of course, he was cheering her up in a "show vincent his gallery" way maybe :o). And the QE1 stuff too - bit cheap. I have no problem wih him having had a nice loving relationship with River. Because I always took the grandfather thing literally and thought he probably did have relationships. Just ones that we didn't know much about. No, best not talk about that.

I agree. The Monroe thing was a funny bit, but the QE1 thing was just tacky. If it had been allowed to die the death with the end of Doctor 10 it wouldn't have been so bad, but they have referred to it a few times since. :(

I thought the relationship with River as it seeme to be in the Library episodes was lovely. I hope the truth doesn't stray too far from that, or I'll be disappointed. But if it is only that many others will be disappointed, seemingly!

In Classic Who we never had this expectation that the companion would turn out to be Davros' love child with the Rani. Except for Turlough, everyone was just a normal person caught up in unusual events, IIRC.
    Forum Member
    Yes. And we knew about him well before the Doctor did. I think. It was not an enigma.

with River I want her to be a totally new thing. Something that SM can look back on and say it was all his. Its my thing about Who. Keep moving and inventing - be careful how you look back.

The Doctor Wife was one huge revisit to old Who stuff. And worked really well seemingly because the writer is top notch. He got away with it in lashings of style. Otherwise - keep visiting new people.

One of the main reasons I like RTD even though that era was not all my cup of tea is that at least he wanted to forge forward.
    Forum Member
    My rtd comment is more about with what can be done with the format. I know that he bought back loads of old stuff and had a modern day london bias. Whoever bought the show back would have had those particular villains back.
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good points there nebo. I too hope that the River resolution is new and does not involve too much, if any, wibbly wobbly stuff in explanation.

:o no innuendo intended :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had a fairly average day today, though perhaps i shouldn't use this term til i run a data base based on how every other day in my life compared....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The Monroe thing was a funny bit, but the QE1 thing was just tacky.

i think my only issue with it was that in EoT i didn't really care much for the scene with the Ood, it perhaps rates as the most irritating scene of DT's Doctor for me! :o
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think my only issue with it was that in EoT i didn't really care much for the scene with the Ood, it perhaps rates as the most irritating scene of DT's Doctor for me! :o

The first Ood scene or the last Ood scene?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first Ood scene or the last Ood scene?

the first one...where he talks about Queen Elizabeth...:p

i like the last scene with the ood, pre tardis, beautifully filmed. The best part of his regeneration for me "this song is ending, but the story never ends" gets me every time...:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the first one...where he talks about Queen Elizabeth...:p

i like the last scene with the ood, pre tardis, beautifully filmed. The best part of his regeneration for me "this song is ending, but the story never ends" gets me every time...:cry:

Ooooooooh, that gets me but in the opposite way. The worst line for me actually, teeth-gritting. :o Each to their own though. :)

I thought the point of the opening Ood scene was to show that the Time Lord Victorious had indeed become a full-on jerk, time meddling all over the place and acting like a loudmouthed American tourist. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the point of the opening Ood scene was to show that the Time Lord Victorious had indeed become a full-on jerk, time meddling all over the place and acting like a loudmouthed American tourist. :D

that was kind of the intention, i agree, but it didn't work for me, too jarring and then too quickly dispensed with. Waste of a great concept.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was kind of the intention, i agree, but it didn't work for me, too jarring and then too quickly dispensed with. Waste of a great concept.

i agree a scene that wasnt needed really and the waste of the ood.....only good think was the key alarm on the tardis and that was naff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, I can see that. Although he did get annoyingly whingey and shirty in the radiation-chamber scene with Wilf, so much so that I was again anxious to get rid of him! That's why I found the long goodbye excruciating and I'd rather he had just tripped over a brick, smashed his face into an odd shape and emerged as Matt. :D
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I can see that. Although he did get annoyingly whingey and shirty in the radiation-chamber scene with Wilf, so much so that I was again anxious to get rid of him! That's why I found the long goodbye excruciating and I'd rather he had just tripped over a brick, smashed his face into an odd shape and emerged as Matt. :D

Or a paper cut? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would be so typical of Matt's Doctor to just flail around and that exact thing to happen to him :D

Though let's hope he watches out for them blasted bricks for a few years before going out with a bang...
    Or thud, as the case may be :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I can see that. Although he did get annoyingly whingey and shirty in the scene with Wilf, so much so that I was again anxious to get rid of him! That's why I found the long goodbye excruciating and I'd rather he had just tripped over a brick, smashed his face into an odd shape and emerged as Matt. :D

i enjoy the long goodbye, tbh, on the whole it's a nice way to wrap up the RTD era, i especially love the fact we end pretty much where we started from, with Rose just a few months away from meeting Nine, though admittedly, I don't like the Martha/Micky scene. It's only Ten's last words i don't like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i enjoy the long goodbye, tbh, on the whole it's a nice way to wrap up the RTD era, i especially love the fact we end pretty much where we started from, with Rose just a few months away from meeting Nine, though admittedly, I don't like the Martha/Micky scene. It's only Ten's last words i don't like.

I agree with what garmain said in DWM that RTD and the production team brought who back in a big way so why shouldnt they have there swarnsong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Ginge wrote: »
    I agree with what garmain said in DWM that RTD and the production team brought who back in a big way so why shouldnt they have there swarnsong

Yeah, i've no beef with it. It's also very much in keeping with the RTD kitchen sink approach, indeed you could also see it as him sending himself up a bit on one level there.

Now Moffat, i think, when he goes will go for a more intimate sort of epic story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Ginge wrote: »

I explained what I didn't like about it last year so I won't bore anyone with it again. :)
This discussion has been closed.