IOS 6.1 is available now for download

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    What is a carrier update? my phone is a Three iphone and i dont remember ever having a carrier update, ive just updated through itunes/the phone OTA.

Sent by your network to change the way your iPhone interacts with the network or to turn certain phone features on or off.
    For example, although they won't do this (I hope), EE could send a carrier update out that would disable the LTE toggle switch on iPhone 5s stopping you from turning LTE off.
    A while ago EE sent out several updates that made phones switch between Orange and TM masts better.
    Going to Settings-General-About will force a carrier update if there is one. It will also tell you your current carrier version in here.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My carrier version is EE 14.0, not 14.1
    Forum Member
    Oops sorry. Yes it's 14.0.
    iOS 6.1, carrier 14.0.... Got my wucking merds fuddled.
    Long day :)
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Sent by your network to change the way your iPhone interacts with the network or to turn certain phone features on or off.
    For example, although they won't do this (I hope), EE could send a carrier update out that would disable the LTE toggle switch on iPhone 5s stopping you from turning LTE off.
    A while ago EE sent out several updates that made phones switch between Orange and TM masts better.
    Going to Settings-General-About will force a carrier update if there is one. It will also tell you your current carrier version in here.

ahh well im glad Three dont mess about with my phone by sending out these updates.

So if you got your phone unlocked this would stop that yes?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When iOS 7 comes out half the features wont even work on your iPhone 5.

This is what annoys me about Apple.

Ohh and they need no excuse, for example iPad 2 doesn't have Siri but the mini with identical hardware does... Apple just choose to leave out features to encourage people to upgrade.
    Forum Member
    Deleted!
    Forum Member
    ahh well im glad Three dont mess about with my phone by sending out these updates.

No carrier updates would still come through.
    I'm sure Three must update somethimes. Maybe not as often as EE have undergone a lot of changes with the whole network merge thing. If you're on EE they are certainly good, not bad. They normally improve something.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They all do carrier updates.

I think Three has actually used them in the past to remove the 3G on/off toggle (presumably because Three pays £££ whenever anyone uses their 2G roaming partner, so Three would prefer that people only use 2G if necessary rather than all the time).
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    They all do carrier updates.

I think Three has actually used them in the past to remove the 3G on/off toggle (presumably because Three pays £££ whenever anyone uses their 2G roaming partner, so Three would prefer that people only use 2G if necessary rather than all the time).

Yes you are correct. They used to have the toggle but it was removed to stop users forcing their phones to Orange as you say. I forgot that when I was trying to think of an example :)
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was efficient. I did both the iPod and the mini in just under 30 mins.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    This is what annoys me about Apple.

Ohh and they need no excuse, for example iPad 2 doesn't have Siri but the mini with identical hardware does... Apple just choose to leave out features to encourage people to upgrade.

I don't get annoyed at all. The 5s will have hardware features that require an update. My iPhone 5 will still get the other updates though. I'm happy with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I don't get annoyed at all. The 5s will have hardware features that require an update. My iPhone 5 will still get the other updates though. I'm happy with that.

Nor do I now, when Android Key Lime Pie comes out I know I'm going to get every new feature possible. None of this BS to try and get you to upgrade.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Nor do I now, when Android Key Lime Pie comes out I know I'm going to get every new feature possible. None of this BS to try and get you to upgrade.

Still doesn't seem right somehow you dissing apple :D
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done the 4s in about 45 mins(upgrading from 5.1.1 to 6.1 so 920mb download included in that time) so pretty painless and my phone is definitely running smoother and loading apps that little bit faster, also boot up time has halfed, used to take around 45-50 seconds but now it was about 21seconds! Awesome

Might have had something to do with all the jailbreak tweaks that I had installed
  • Liam_777Liam_777 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Had this update fixed the low Earphone sound? If not, I won't bother updating
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This update appears to have fixed a well documented major fault with the iPhone 5 making it almost impossible to make phone calls - i.e, callers complaining of muffled sound or robotic-like voice. I'm amazed the press never picked up on this problem as it has affected iPhones the world over but Apple have remained silent on the issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21062571?ac_cid=tw123456#21062571
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done the update I know recently since the last update I've had nothing but problems with calls saying call failed mid call and the signal struggling to keep 3G you have to switch to aeroplane mode and back for it to pick up 3G again so far so good with the new update.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think previous discussions have shown that Apple and Google have very similar update and support durations.

The Nexus S is no longer supported (at all) and the iphones 3GS/4 are supported with some restrictions.

Of course if you haven't got a nexus device then updates on Android are becoming a complete joke.

My ipad mini had the OS update 2 hours after it was released. My Ace 2, five months and still waiting:D
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm nit-picking here (I've also posted this on the main site) but they've changed the "Note That I Spent $12 on Lunch" to "Note That I Spent £12 on Lunch" YET it still says "Table for Four in Chester" (another U.S only feature, Opentable reservations still don't work in the UK yet!) and the Sports questions refer to US teams and not say, the Premier League.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...a well documented major fault with the iPhone 5 making it almost impossible to make phone calls - i.e, callers complaining of muffled sound or robotic-like voice.
    It will be why the Gadget show found it useless.They certainly record it 'live style' so there they have no script and so call it as they see it(or should that be 'not hear it').

It's always been a media tradition to give Apple junk an easy ride.
    Even that outing of the beta like non beta maps was a user inspired blip.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I had Siri working on a jailbroken iPhone 4 it was crap.

As for apple not having all the features on slightly older phones... Have you seem how bad it is with Andriod...
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member

No they still send out carrier updates, it's nothing to do with being unlocked. EE has had a few more revisions because of VV and 4G. Expect the same of Three when it comes to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I think previous discussions have shown that Apple and Google have very similar update and support durations.

The Nexus S is no longer supported (at all) and the iphones 3GS/4 are supported with some restrictions.

Of course if you haven't got a nexus device then updates on Android are becoming a complete joke.

My ipad mini had the OS update 2 hours after it was released. My Ace 2, five months and still waiting:D

It's not the length of time that it's supported that I was complaining about, it's the fact that the best new features of iOS updates are left out of older devices for no reason at all.

My iPhone 4 came with iOS 4.0, the main feature in iOS 5.0 I didn't get (Siri) then when iOS 6.0 came out I missed out on turn by turn navigation, FaceTime over 3G, panoramas and stills while recording video but no worrys I got the amazing passbook and apple maps! :rolleyes:

The Nexus S which was released in 2000 with 2.3 was at least updated to 4.1 jelly bean supporting all updates that came with that.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I updated and now my screen says iOS 6 on it, with the word configure on the arrow thing at the button, but when I try to put in my passcode it's telling me it's wrong and now it's been disabled three times but it won't tell me how long it's disabled for. Help? Do I have to restore in iTunes? This might sound stupid but I really don't want to lose my Where's My Water save game.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I updated and now my screen says iOS 6 on it, with the word configure on the arrow thing at the button, but when I try to put in my passcode it's telling me it's wrong and now it's been disabled three times but it won't tell me how long it's disabled for. Help? Do I have to restore in iTunes? This might sound stupid but I really don't want to lose my Where's My Water save game.

Never understand why people dont just use ONE password for everything. Keep a note of it somewhere secure and make sure the password is completely random and unrelated to you.

Simple really.