"Blockbusters" on Challenge TV

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bar the brother and sister team, the solo contestants were thicker than ANY of the Year 12 contestants on Bob Holness's show.

You think so? See this clip at 1:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DYFdPKBjs

:D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    I love old episodes of Blockbusters. It's like being in a time warp

"What L is the current Chancellor?"

BING

"Lawson"

That's right, and that's Blockbusters!!!!
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bar the brother and sister team, the solo contestants were thicker than ANY of the Year 12 contestants on Bob Holness's show.

Why do I get the impression that when tonights episode airs she will be out within 5 minutes!
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone feel the questions were too easy ie the first question "What J represented Ireland at Eurovision Song Contest in 2011?" Maybe this is why it went so fast.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    God she was sooooooooo thick! All she did was giggle like a dizzy blonde.

Where do they find these contestants.

Maybe they borrow people from In It To Win It. Most of those are thickos,especially the one last week who thought the "E" in CBE stood for Earth!! :D
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Maybe they borrow people from In It To Win It. Most of those are thickos,especially the one last week who thought the "E" in CBE stood for Earth!! :D

Let me regurgitate on that. And if you think last night's contestants were bad, rumours are the intention was to have kids as with the original series, but in rehearsals their knowledge was so bad they changed to having adults.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    To be honest I think the questions are easier than they used to be as well :(
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    The big difference is the new version allows non-students to participate. The asian guy was a policeman, not a student.
  • moodysuzmoodysuz Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    well i loved it, i thought Simon mayo would be pants but he was ok surprisingly, I would rather it be him than Vernon Kay etc or Liza tarbuk (that was shocking!)

£5 per question :D i'm glad they kept loads of the original stuff and didn't try to remould it to much :p
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the New Blockbusters. Simon Mayo is a good professional host like Bob was. The new show has also stayed true to the original (apart from not just students- but this widens it appeal to all ages)

In fact all of the re-incarnations (tarbuck ,aspel) this is the best version. I just hope people find it stuck away on Challenge. I dont know why ITV didnt bring it back instead of the dull hour long Chase.

The only one thing i wasnt sure of was that the set looked very small.

I liked the "In Memory Of Bob Holness" message at the end too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/

New BlockBusters quadruples Challenges Ratings!!
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was on ITV, they'd probably make it an hour long, throw in zelebs and shove a lame competition in there too. Yep, I'm glad it's on Challenge. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/

New BlockBusters quadruples Challenges Ratings!!

Series 2 will get comissioned then.
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like the current incarnation of Blockbusters. Simon Mayo is an excellent host, I remember being very upset when he stopped presenting the greatest gameshow of all time, Winning Lines. There are a lot of minor things that I would like to see changed though;

As much as I like the set, it seems too dark. It could do with a lighter background, maybe a lighter blue.

The lighting on the game board is horrible, the right side in particular. It is very dark and needs to be lightened up.

The contestant buzzers are too big and the sound effects need to have the sound turned up.

The new version of the theme tune 'Quiz Wizard' is not as good the 1983 version or the 'album' version. The music used during the gold run should be changed back to the simple clock ticking music.

There are too many camera angles and most of them are poor. There should be no shots of the large board during a game. There is no need for 'sweeping' camera motions before each game, only a slight left movement is needed before the gold run.

The music sting should only play before the first game of three, not before all three.

The pacing seems much slower than in the classic series due to the unneeded contestant interviews between games. These should happen the first time the contestant comes on screen only. Contestant information and a short interview about their occupation and that is it.

The gold run prize (even though it is the first one) is not good enough, portable DVD players are not considered to be very exiting.

The consolation prize should have remained a Blockbusters Sweatshirt, the electronic book holding device is too good for a losing contestant and may bring unwanted parallels with the gold run prizes.

Simon should refer to each game option as a 'letter' not as a hexagon. Simon should say '...and that's Blockbusters' not '...and that is Blockbusters'.

The questions are far too easy, I correctly answered all of them, including the gold run questions.

The graphics are too much. When the contestant correctly answers a question, the hexagon should just fade to that contestants colour, not spin around needlessly with a cheesy whoosh sound effect.

Other than the above, I find this new series of Blockbusters to be very enjoyable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather like the current incarnation of Blockbusters. Simon Mayo is an excellent host, I remember being very upset when he stopped presenting the greatest gameshow of all time, Winning Lines. There are a lot of minor things that I would like to see changed though;

As much as I like the set, it seems too dark. It could do with a lighter background, maybe a lighter blue.

The lighting on the game board is horrible, the right side in particular. It is very dark and needs to be lightened up.

The contestant buzzers are too big and the sound effects need to have the sound turned up.

The new version of the theme tune 'Quiz Wizard' is not as good the 1983 version or the 'album' version. The music used during the gold run should be changed back to the simple clock ticking music.

There are too many camera angles and most of them are poor. There should be no shots of the large board during a game. There is no need for 'sweeping' camera motions before each game, only a slight left movement is needed before the gold run.

The music sting should only play before the first game of three, not before all three.

The pacing seems much slower than in the classic series due to the unneeded contestant interviews between games. These should happen the first time the contestant comes on screen only. Contestant information and a short interview about their occupation and that is it.

The gold run prize (even though it is the first one) is not good enough, portable DVD players are not considered to be very exiting.

The consolation prize should have remained a Blockbusters Sweatshirt, the electronic book holding device is too good for a losing contestant and may bring unwanted parallels with the gold run prizes.

Simon should refer to each game option as a 'letter' not as a hexagon. Simon should say '...and that's Blockbusters' not '...and that is Blockbusters'.

The questions are far too easy, I correctly answered all of them, including the gold run questions.

The graphics are too much. When the contestant correctly answers a question, the hexagon should just fade to that contestants colour, not spin around needlessly with a cheesy whoosh sound effect.

Other than the above, I find this new series of Blockbusters to be very enjoyable.

so in other words you dont like it! :D

Picky so and so! :D
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really good, very in keeping with the original and glad it got good viewing figures for Challenge.

It was nice too how they just got on with the game, just like in the original and didn't spend ages reading out a huge biography on each contestant. Will certainly be watching the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It sounds like you would be more happy watching repeats of the old show.

Every detail you have pointed out is what they have done to make it modern and if you went in giving the show a chance, you would see it for all the good work they have done in making a good Blockbusters show for 2012.

Surprise you aren't upset about the removal of mascots or if they won't do the hand jive on Friday
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sooteries wrote: »
    Surprise you aren't upset about the removal of mascots or if they won't do the hand jive on Friday.

I do not mind the contestants not having mascots, they always distracted me from answering the questions. Some nearly covered the contestants face and/or the score! Plus they just looked untidy.

I always the felt the 'hand jive' cheapened the programme myself.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,781
    Forum Member

What DID you like?! The show has evolved along with everything else, yet, you should appreciate the show has stayed true to the original as Bob would have wanted. The graphics are fine, at least we have the original board and colour scheme. The flipping hexagons and whoosh noises are only like what we get in other gameshows of today. Infact, constant incidental music in shows like Weakest Link, Millionaire and Deal or no Deal is rather offputting! Challenge have done a fine job long may it continue!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not mind the contestants not having mascots, they always distracted me from answering the questions. Some nearly covered the contestants face and/or the score! Plus they just looked untidy.

I always the felt the 'hand jive' cheapened the programme myself.

I hated the bloody stupid hand jive!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If it was on ITV, they'd probably make it an hour long, throw in zelebs and shove a lame competition in there too. Yep, I'm glad it's on Challenge. :D
    Me too. No Vernon Kay or Ant & Dec either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring Back the Hind Jive!
  • mill9mill9 Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know how long the series will be on for?
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,781
    Forum Member
    mill9 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the series will be on for?

It's a 40 episode run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapnut wrote: »
    It's a 40 episode run.

Looks like im going to have to get plenty of blank dvds ready.