Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, work is due to begin on the long-delayed Last of the Summer Wine spin-off next May, but only if sufficient funding is raised to make the series. It would go straight to DVD, though, with the hope of selling the broadcast rights to a channel.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Media has confirmed that for next year's Rugby World Cup, there will be 38 games show on ITV1 (I'm calling it this to avoid any confusion) and 10 games on ITV4. The vast majority of games seem to be going on during the weekend daytime and I think ITV will show all of these games on the main channel, even including matches such as Samoa v USA because there's nothing better on the main channel in the weekend daytime schedules anyway so there's nothing to lose airing them then, and they will probably rate higher than the usual repeats.

This is pure speculation but based on looking through all the fixtures, I think the ten ITV4 games will end up being:

Wed 23/09 - 20:00 France v Romania
    Thu 24/09 - 20:00 New Zealand v Namibia
    Fri 25/09 - 16:45 Argentina v Georgia
    Tue 29/09 - 16:45 Tonga v Namibia
    Thu 01/10 - 20:00 France v Canada
    Tue 06/10 - 16:45 Canada v Romania
    Tue 06/10 - 20:00 Fiji v Uruguay
    Wed 07/10 - 20:00 Namibia v Georgia
    Fri 09/10 - 20:00 New Zealand v Tonga (clashes against England football qualifier)
    Sun 11/10 - 20:00 USA v Japan

I think the primetime ITV1 8pm games will be:

Fri 18/09 - England v Fiji
    Sat 19/09 - France v Italy
    Sat 26/09 - England v Wales
    Fri 02/10 - New Zealand v Georgia
    Sat 03/10 - England v Australia
    Sat 10/10 - England v Uruguay
    Sat 17/10 - Quarter Final (potentially involving England)
    Fri 30/10 - Bronze Match

I reckon they'll show that New Zealand game on the main channel, even though their opposition is a minnow and it's a very one-sided looking game, simply due to the All Blacks' status and it being on a Friday (one of the few days of the week when Rugby will definitely disrupt the primetime schedules and make it almost impossible to air a normal series like a drama). They'll simply reschedule Corrie to another night like Thursdays or lengthen the Wednesday episode to an hour long. The France v Italy game for the main channel is debatable (it may well end up airing on ITV4). From a ratings perspective it could be a low rating one especially on a Saturday night when they'd normally have TXF. But given that it is happening on the 2nd day of the entire tournament, I think ITV will air it on the main channel because it just wouldn't look good from a reputation viewpoint airing a game like this on ITV4 so soon into the World Cup. It is also one of the few pretty decent primetime games of the entire group phase, despite not having a Home Nation involved, so they'll make most of it.

What the above means is that the Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 9pm schedules will not be effected at all. They can continue airing their usual series like dramas without any disruption on those nights at all.

The X Factor of course will be the show to be affected by all of this the most. It looks like it won't be able to air for at least 4 (in my opinion 5) Saturdays in a row between 19th September to 18th October. But there are some decent solutions imo: if XF launches one week earlier than this year, all eight auditions shows could be wrapped up absolutely fine over 4 weeks before the Rugby World Cup starts.

They can then air the 'middle phase' for three weeks on Sundays 7-9pm between 20th Sep and 4th Oct, six hours in total (not too dissimilar to this year) for the bootcamp and judges houses phases (or tweaked versions if they decide to freshen it up). The first two live weeks would have to air on Sundays 7-9pm, either including the result at the end (an instant app vote thing could be done) or with a results show on the Monday 7.30-8.30pm/8-9pm. And then the show goes back to its usual Sat/Sun schedule from 24th October onwards. It's not ideal, but given the situation, this is probably a decent way around it. ITV will have to make most of the Rugby World Cup with the diminishing sports rights they have so TXF will have to take a slight back seat but a Sunday 7-9pm slot wouldn't be too bad anyway. It's certainly better than some of their scheduling for it this year such as episodes on a Friday at 9pm!
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I know I go on about BARB but sometimes you do look at the figures and shake your head. EE yesterday had the dreaded Scots opt out so not too many conclusions can be made about it but ED dropping something like 0.5m and a couple of share points in 24hrs? I know its happened before etc but really? How do you explain it?

I no it just seems so weird when you look at some of the ratings.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I no it just seems so weird when you look at some of the ratings.

BARB will have the data overnight for the opt-outs so it seems odd it takes them so long to assimilate them. River City gets about 400,000 in Scotland so EE might be expected to get similar except it was on BBC2.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch Series 2 Spoilers gets rave reviews at ITV Upfronts!

http://primetime.*******************/broadchurch-series-2-spoilers-critics-give-new-series-thumbs/

I expect we will get teasers through late November, with a full trailer during the Final of The X Factor.

Some actually exciting commissions from ITV in the New Year with, Thunderbirds, Broadchurch, Stars In Their Eyes, Bear Grylls series etc.

And still no news on Our Zoo
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenny Henry will front an appeal on behalf of the Disasters Emergency Committee for funds to fight ebola in Africa across all BBC platforms tomorrow including network TV, radio and local radio - BBC press office.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the analysis, rzt. :)

I wonder if they should move The X Factor to Sunday and Monday en mass next year and away from Strictly. It might leave Saturday night look a bit barren but it's getting to the point where they need to protect The X Factor as much as they can... though going by last Sunday's results show there doesn't seem to be much of a different between the Saturday and Sunday figures now.

But for next year (excluding Rugby evenings) they could go with:
    Saturday
    17.20 Tipping Point: Lucky Stars
    18.20 Celebrity Chase
    19.20 Surprise, Surprise
    20.20 Stars In Their Eyes
    21.50 The Jonathan Ross Show

Sunday
    18.00 Beowulf (if ready!)
    19.00 The X Factor
    21.00 Downton Abbey

Monday
    19.00 Emmerdale
    19.30 The X Factor
    20.30 Coronation Street
    21.00 Grantchester

Tuesday
    19.00 Emmerdale
    19.30 Countrywise
    20.00 Coronation Street
    20.30 Birds of a Feather
    21.00 Benidorm

A few shows are just there as examples but they may be able to make it work and support a football free Tuesday at the same time.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention in my previous post that it looks like as a result of the Rugby World Cup and a couple of England football qualifiers, there will be 10 episodes of Coronation Street definitely displaced from its usual schedule next September and October. And also a few Emmerdale episodes due to tea-time rugby kick offs delaying the news which would have to air in Emmerdale's slot. I wouldn't be surprised if next Autumn on Wednesday nights pre- I'm a Celebrity, ITV1 has Emmerdale running 7-8pm and then Corrie 8-9pm, to make up for the missing episodes. Or some kind of variation of that, perhaps Corrie 7.30-8.30pm. It would help boost a night which they're struggling with due to the emergence of GBBO.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise Surprise finished at 9.02pm, Scott and Bailey sponsor clip started a minute later.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Fair enough, but why say Warhorse will air on Remembrance Sunday when clearly they would have known upfront that there was no room for it? The F1 highlights will bomb at 8.30pm.

The Singapore Grand Prix highlights on Sunday 21st September at 5pm had an average audience of 3.72m which is on a par with what Our Girl was getting in the 9pm slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Apprentice 😮😮😮😮😮 that's all I can say 😮
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

I know right? Twitter is buzzing, best series ever!! Feels like a new show, much fresher and more exciting.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be surprised if S&B returns for a new series. The final episode seemed to tie a few things up and would be a natural end to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    I know right? Twitter is buzzing, best series ever!! Feels like a new show, much fresher and more exciting.

Am glad I've really been enjoying this series and tonight was just gob smacking I wasn't expecting that. 😮
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member

Could giving a longer gap between the series perhaps be the reason it has revived. Would "The X Factor" be seen to be retreating by the press if it had a rest in 2015.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    BARB will have the data overnight for the opt-outs so it seems odd it takes them so long to assimilate them. River City gets about 400,000 in Scotland so EE might be expected to get similar except it was on BBC2.

Do BARB actually report BBC Scotland seperately - because I cant find it ?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

While I agree the truth is anybody with any sense could have cut half the field after the first episode !!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Do BARB actually report BBC Scotland seperately - because I cant find it ?

They're not on the BARB website but BBC One (and Two) Scotland (and Wales) are available via some data bureaux.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In a change to the advertised schedule, the new series of Last Tango In Halifax starts next Wednesday at 9pm because
    there are no apprentices left.:D

(For non-Apprentice viewers, I'm kidding The Apprentice carries on as scheduled.)
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,861
    Forum Member

Expect a gigantic time shift for this one, it's exploded twitter in a way that hasn't been done since Bake Off Alaska Gate- It was genuinely a brilliant 15 mins of TV albeit very uncomfortable at the end- You're fired should get a big boost too :D
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Brilliant, brilliant TV! :D:D:D

Was wondering how the show would cope next week
    without easily the two biggest personalities
    but from the preview on 'You're Fired' - which in itself was excellent tonight - it looks just to carry straight on along the same lines. Fantastic.

The only problem will be last week's episode was slightly quieter so there might be a dip in the overnights, but the timeshift should easily overcome that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    it's exploded twitter in a way that hasn't been done since Bake Off Alaska Gate-

I wouldn't go that far - people have stopped talking about it now only an hour later, whereas nobody shut up about the Baked Alaska for days. But it should certainly still boost the catch-up figures. I know our very own guestofseth has already promised to rewatch the end before the night is out :p
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's going to run out of double firing cards if he uses them all at once at this rate, he needs to save some for later in the series. Wasn't a fan of the task tonight, one of those ones where nobody really wins as everyone looks daft. Much prefer the selling/designing tasks.
    I did wonder how they would fit 3 candidates onto Your Fired, but that never came to pass anyway

On a separate note, Waterloo Road was absolutely abysmal tonight, no redeeming features whatsoever.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am glad I've really been enjoying this series and tonight was just gob smacking I wasn't expecting that. 😮
    They signposted this so much with the 20 contestants and "anyone could go" stuff that a week where he fired everyone for shock value was inevitable. It's a really nice stunt and I thought they struck gold with the contestants as well (particularly Ella at the end). But I just feel they could have made it more shocking by not signposting it in the way that they did. That being said, I'm a fairly cynical viewer and I'm not surprised that it has still had a big impact online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    On a separate note, Waterloo Road was absolutely abysmal tonight, no redeeming features whatsoever.

I disagree, I think the woefully-acted baby-shaking development was hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.