Options

Siblings...

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have two older sisters and the oldest is 3 years older then me we share basically the same characteristics, we look the same and talk the same, you can tell we are brother and sister.. The second oldest is completely different, she takes after my fathers side, you wouldn't think we were related at all.... Does that still make her 50% my sister in the blood line?

Do you have the same thing going in your family sibling thing?

Comments

• Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I have two older sisters and the oldest is 3 years older then me we share basically the same characteristics, we look the same and talk the same, you can tell we are brother and sister.. The second oldest is completely different, she takes after my fathers side, you wouldn't think we were related at all.... Does that still make her 50% my sister in the blood line?

Bib, No, shes probably adopted.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    you still all got 50% of your genes from each parent.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very defined in my family who my sister and I take after :)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    you still all got 50% of your genes from each parent.

More like 99% from both parents, and 0.5% from each! ;)
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does she have a different mother?

If she has the same mother and father then surely she is 100% your sister regardless of how she looks :confused:
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Me and my sister are twins, non-identical though, she is taller than me(5ft 4) and has straight blonde hair and I'm just under 5ft with curly dark brown hair. We both have blue eyes. Oh and she's gay and I'm straight. But we have the same mum and dad and shared the same uterus for 38 weeks (so I'm told:D).
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,594
    Forum Member
    Me and my sister are twins, non-identical though, she is taller than me(5ft 4) and has straight blonde hair and I'm just under 5ft with curly dark brown hair. We both have blue eyes. Oh and she's gay and I'm straight. But we have the same mum and dad and shared the same uterus for 38 weeks (so I'm told:D).

Off topic but I am interested to know something. I have twin nine year old daughters who are identical but personality wise the first born twin is much more dominant and always takes the lead and tries things out first. Is this normal for twins for the first born to be the "leader"?
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Off topic but I am interested to know something. I have twin nine year old daughters who are identical but personality wise the first born twin is much more dominant and always takes the lead and tries things out first. Is this normal for twins for the first born to be the "leader"?

I have twin Brothers and yes I have found this to be the case. Very much so. The older one has been dominant all his life over the younger one.
  • Options
    waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    There's always been a bit of a divide like that in my family. My two sisters are always told how alike they are and how much the look like our mum.
    Whereas me and my brother are always told how we're like our dad, but the two of us are pretty different!
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

.... Eh?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My older brother and I resemble my Dad very much, my younger brother looks very much like my Mum's mother looked when she was younger.

My Mum's side of the family is definitely the better looking, so my younger brother got the better deal looks-wise.

Growing up we used to tease my younger brother that he was adopted, we were mean :blush: I'm glad he never held that against me ... we are very close he and I unlike the older brother.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I resemble my older brother quite a lot, I look almost the same as him & have the same curly hair, except I straighten mine & he just leaves his. I also talk the same as he does & we have the same body shapes. Except we have different fathers.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an older brother and a younger sister. My brother takes after our Mum in many ways, my sister takes after our Dad, and I'm a mix of both. My brother has similar facial features to our Mum and her pale skin colour whereas my sister has facial features like our Dad and her skin colour is similar to his - they're both slightly olive skinned. My sister has a bit of an Italian look to her and so did my Dad when he was younger (when his hair was black rather than grey!) I have the same kind of features as my Dad and sister but I'm more pale skinned like my Mum and brother. But my Mum, Dad, sister and I are all short and my brother is about 6ft tall.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to believe I didn't look like my dad at all, that was until a few months ago when I was looking at some old photos of dad's dad & staring back at me was my son! As my son looks like me & my dad also looked like his dad, there must be more physical aspects of my dad in me than I thought? Does that make sense? Bit wafflely sorry.

Sometimes characteristics skip generations or we end up with a mishmash of many ancestors. I love to look at the pics of my great x2 grandparents & see if I can see any of them in me? Quite facinating really.

OP unless your sibling is adopted or have a different mother or father to you & the remaining sibling they will be fully blood related to you. Suggest if you've concerns about your sibling being related you contact Jeremy Kyle who'll stick you on his show. If your family are missing teeth, on drugs, unemployed, having affairs or just loud & chavvy, Kyle will love you!:D
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    My brother and I are different in every possible way! Temperament, ambitions, looks, height, abilities etc, all totally different. If we weren't related, I doubt very much that we'd mix with each other at all!

He quite obviously takes after Mum's side of the family and I definitely take after Dad's side with looks, temperament etc.

It fascinates me how this happens as I don't have a clue!
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

Not sure if it's statistically true, but it's certainly true of all the twins I've met.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone sees something different. Most people say I look like my mom, but some of my aunts say I look like the females on their side (my father's sisters). One of my brothers resembles my mom while the other looks like our father.

People joke about siblings having different fathers but sometimes they just don't resemble each other.